Home / Graduate   % width NEW!

"'the Physical Therapist's role" - PTCAS essay

sdeallie 1 / -  
Here's my first draft of my PTCAS essay. I wanted to take a narrative approach to the personal statement, while addressing the prompt. Please any comments about grammar, spelling, or just overall material would be very appreciated. Thank You!!

It asks: Which personal characteristics and motivating factors have led you to pursue the profession of physical therapy?

The character limit is 4500. I'm at 4607

My essay:
It was once stated that one must acknowledge the past to avoid repetition in the future. By baring witness to occurrences of suffering in the past, one is able to assert knowledge to further his or her own growth towards becoming a beneficial citizen in the future through increased drive to seek solutions. With possession of such information, success would become definite, no longer out of grasp as one, like myself, now bares the will to make sure that the past will never repeat itself as shown in a son's journey to success.

As a son nervously anticipates the termination of his father's intensive heart surgery in a cold hospital waiting room, he awaits being able to spend time with his father again. Going fishing, doing yard work, biking around the neighborhood, all of which are aspects that illustrate everyday life made him feel at home in his household. Unfortunately, for him, the surgery has seemed to take more of a toll on his father's mobility than originally believed. What lied ahead of him was the rehabilitation process; to strengthen his muscles and regain mobility that he possessed before. His son looks into his father's room as the therapist lists an exercise regimen and outlines his plan for recovery. The two know that the path is attainable but there will be some rough spots along the way. After some treatment, the father stands up and struggles to take his first step with his frustration in his eyes. His then proceeds towards his second step, even as it is harder than first, his perseveres though thinking about the progress that must be made to once again cut the lawn with ease again. With the overseeing care and the optimistic atmosphere provided by the Therapist, his advancement grew exponentially. Now he walked with ease and speed that he possessed before the surgery.

After some time, motivated by the events during his father's surgery the son went on to college. He had enrolled in Rutgers University and majored in Biological Sciences wanting to go on to medical school after graduation. As the months had passed, his path towards medical school had reached problems along the way. It was the end of his junior year where the son appeared to be at a lost in his career path caused by his troubles with his classes coupled with the low GPA. He was stuck at a crossroads; he wanted to pursue a career in healthcare, but did not know specifically what the perfect occupation was.

The next semester had begun; he wanted to start anew with a new focus to succeed. He enrolled in a Physiology class, which he had immediately taken with great interest. The class presented him with something new. An intriguing yet familiar substance was found, as subject matter from his previous studies was still in existence. Motivation to succeed soon arose, but the ominous graduation date quickly approached, bringing an end to his classes and a newfound arrival of difficulties.

As the chapter of college life, ended, he had once again found himself at a crossroads. Months of searching for had yielded no results that interested him until he had a recollection of a past event, his father's intensive recovery. He had remembered the successful recovery of his father, mainly the Physical Therapist's role in the revitalization of mobility, leading him to pursue his first experience in Physical Therapy. At Trinity Rehab, he was given the chance of a lifetime: to observe a myriad of patients from different backgrounds differing recovery processes. He admired the passion, the determination, and compassion of the therapist as he assisted and aided the patients. He observed therapist's optimism, and ability to work efficiently under the most demanding situations, and extensive clinical knowledge. What had really touched him was the fact that the amazing work of these dedicated individuals was more than goals. The simple ability to walk again, or move their arm painlessly made more than a difference to their health, but to their lives. The physical therapist, his mentor taught him the penultimate value of making a difference in someone's life.

As the son constantly recalled his past history and events that occurred in his life, he was able to further reflect on what had once helped him get back what was almost lost. Because of this, he was able to see that he would now have the chance to give help others in the way that the Physical Therapist once helped his father. Like the son, I too hope to give back to the community in the future by becoming a Physical Therapist the same way that was done for my father after his heart surgery.

Home / Graduate / "'the Physical Therapist's role" - PTCAS essay