Physical Therapy program - Dark and stormy essay

cfargal 1 / -  
I am writing an essay for admission to a Physical Therapy program. It's been FOREVER since I've had to write and essay! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

It was a dark, stormy night on the campus of Johnson State College in Northern Vermont. Three young college students decided it would be a nice night for a sled ride. With vinyl mattress in tow they headed for the steepest hill on campus. A hill, I might add, that descended upon a road lined with aluminum, cement filled light poles. The enthusiastic threesome jumped aboard their sled and flew into the night. It was the best sled ride any of them had ever experienced until the sudden forceful stop at the bottom of the hill when contact was made with one of the light poles. Unfortunately for me, the contact point happened to be my lower leg. I had sustained a fracture of my left tibia/fibula which for me would be a turning point in my life.

...
MirayPhilips 5 / 37  
The next six months would prove to be a challenge. I was crutch-bound for three months then slowly returned to the bipedal world. At first I found it frustrating having to rely on others to do the simplest things. Then I became appreciative of everyone's kindness and compassion for my situation and the slightest return of any mobility. Although I was frustrated with the pace of my recovery, I began to realize that with time, a great deal of patience, good nutrition and the right exercise, healing would occur. I realized that I wanted to assist others in their recovery process, reaching their full potential as I was motivated to do myself. My academic focus was now Physical Therapy, I had found my niche. I graduated from Lasell College as a Physical Therapist Assistant in 1993.

As a Physical Therapist Assistant I have empathy and compassion for my patients and understand the frustrations associated with the recovery process. I enjoy educating each individual about their injury or disability and what is expected, while helping them to appreciate even the smallest return in mobility and function. Motivating them with encouragement to meet the next milestone in their recovery is vital in helping them to reach their fullest potential. I value being part of the rehabilitation team and I realize that I am an integral part of the process with physical therapists, doctors, nurses and patients. However, feel I want to achieve more, which is my motivation for seeking higher education with the DPT program. Becoming more autonomous will make me a more effective therapist and open more doors for expanding knowledge which will help me reach a greater population. I am sure that participating in the DPT program will require hard work, persistence, and commitment, not unlike the challenge of recovering from an injury. Even with this, the final outcome will be worthwhile. I am looking forward to embracing this challenge with open arms .

I hope this helped :)

Home / Graduate / Physical Therapy program - Dark and stormy essay