"This place is filthy. And there's no food in the house!" ;REASONS for graduate study

bluemoon1131 1 / -  
Write a brief statement (500 words/3500 characters or less including punctuation, but not spaces) describing your reason(s) for pursuing graduate or postbaccalaureate study. Include any additional information concerning your preparation that is pertinent to the objective specified. You may also send a resume and/or letters of reference if required by department.

Growing up with 4 siblings can be a bit challenging and exciting at times. Having someone there you can talk to, argue with and spend quality time with can be very important living in a single household home. That's how my mother was forced to raise the four of us; alone and surviving off the governments help. I can remember that day as if it were yesterday, police in our house opening empty cabinets and rummaging through my mother's personal belongings. "This place is filthy. And there's no food in the house!" A cop yelled behind me. My mother wasn't a bad mom just a product of her environment I would later understand the true meaning to that. Just like that, with no warning and no clear explanation the four of us were led away into different cop cars and different homes. It was about a year that I'd actually had any physical or verbal contact with any of them. It was very strange to see my siblings everyday and to have them ripped away without warning. My life was on a spiral down and I felt that I had no one looking out for me. It seemed that I was placed in a different foster home or group home every month. On a brighter side it helped my communication skills as I had to learn to adapt to different environments and personalities and learn to listen to everyone's tragic stories. My mother fought hard to get custody of us and four years later my prayers came true only to be crushed again. My mother found herself in a abusive relationship in stayed in that relationship until my early years of high school. During her relationship we were forced out of our house nightly only to live in women's shelters every other week. I watched my mothers unhappiness wear on my family. I witnessed her physical abuse at the hands of my step father for many years. I found myself understanding the saying "A product of your environment" When I too found myself in a physically, mentally and emotionally abusive relationship years later.

I knew I needed to make changes in my life to better my entire well being and I knew the only thing that would get me out of that viscous cycle would be to obtain a degree. I"ve chosen to apply to the Master of Social Work program at XXXX because I have an immensely strong connection and desire to help children who are in my once devastating situation. As a former Boys & Girls club employee I've helped a lot of unprivileged children thrive in find their ways in life on a personal and educational level. I found myself wanting to make a difference not only in their academics but also in their overall social welfare. I became aware of abusive and neglectful home situations that while I was responsible for reporting, had no influence or knowledge of the outcomes. I could hear their cry for help and I wanted to be the person that would and could show them the light at the end of the tunnel. I was once in their shoes and have cried the same tears, have prayed the same prayers and through proper guidance and education in your Master's Program I could share my experiences and help children and women rise above domestic violence. Domestic abuse and child neglect is a soaring social problem. It radically affects the quality of life for all involved.Working with children has been instrumental in my decision to further my education. I want to understand the connection between the mind and behavior. My immediate goal is to become a licensed social worker. I want to educate myself so that I can obtain the tools necessary to advocate, assist, and protect children and families with any issues that may occur. My experiences in partnership with my education would be beneficial to enriching the lives of broken families. I was given a second chance in life through God's will, I'd like to be the vessel that would give families a second chance to start over.

*****My GPA was around a 2.89 when I graduated with my BA in Broadcast Journalism in 2011. How can I incorporate that into my statement above.*****
tsungu 3 / 8 2  
What do you mean by "surviving off the governments help"? A little bit difficult to understand.
"I knew I needed to make changes in my life to better my entire well being". Improve may sound better. "I knew I needed to make changes in my life to improve my entire well being".

Home / Graduate / "This place is filthy. And there's no food in the house!" ;REASONS for graduate study