"A platform to launch & explore my imagination" - my SOP for MS (Computer Science)

ahmedatnet 1 / -  
Statement of Purpose

Where computer dumps its deleted file? Does computer has a dustbin inside it? These were the first questions which came to my five years old mind when I saw my uncle deleting files from his computer. When I grew up a bit & started recognizing some scientific terminologies, I got to know that computer is nothing but a piece of software and hardware which interact with each other to give user the desired output. And it marked the beginning of my fascination towards software & hardware interactions. In my school days, I started debugging computer errors and I was so impressed with this that I decided to choose Electronics engineering as my career. Backed by good academics & analytical skills I joined Electronics & Communication engineering department of Jamia Millia Islamia University which is one of the best of twenty Central Universities in India and it gave me an apt platform to launch & explore my imagination in engineering field.

During my graduation, apart for pursuing regular courses like Computer Architecture, Microprocessor, Data communication & Computer Networking, Data structure computer programming, wireless communication etc., I continued to explore & experiment hardware & software interactions by participating, coordinating & winning robotics, microprocessor programming & hardware designing events. As a graduation project I simulated & then implemented a video tracking system on TI DSP hardware for which my research paper submission was accepted in the International Workshop on Signal Design and its Applications in Communications (IWSDA'07). In the meanwhile, I did internship at Ericsson India Ltd where my domain interest tilted towards wireless networking technology.

After completion of my graduation, I joined Bangalore software R&D center of Huawei Technologies where I worked on providing network security (ipsec/ike software implementation) for wireless devices & security gateways for both IPv4 & IPv6 protocols. While working in Huawei, I got an opportunity to work with product teams as hardware integration engineer for about a year at Huawei's R&D centers at Shenzhen & Shanghai in China, where I got in depth knowledge about the IPSEC & IKEv1/v2 protocols implementations & how these technologies are used in real life scenarios. Being amongst the excellent performers of the company I regularly got appreciation & awards from company & company's customers. As I learnt more & more about computer networking, I started exploring new domains in this field. After working for more than two years in Huawei Technologies, I joined NetApp R&D center in Bangalore to explore storage networking technologies and currently I am actively exploring this field.

After gaining useful insight of latest trends through my industrial experience, I still strongly feel that in depth computer networking knowledge needs more dedicated & focused study. Though I possess strong technical skills in networking domain, but I believe that I must sharpen myself to undertake cutting-edge research in this field. After three years on industrial experience, I feel that there is a need of engineers who can mesh up both software & hardware. Implementation of computer networking technologies like routing protocols, ip security etc. need both software & hardware implementations. After working in software industry for more than three years, I am now more interested in software architecture design & its implementation as its flexibility & scalability really fascinate me. As I have studied electronics as part of my under graduation courses & I see my career goal as an engineer who can play with both software & hardware, I have decided to earn an MS degree in Computer Science and I intend to follow it up with a Ph.D.

After searching a lot about courses offered & research done in various universities, I came across X research group in Y university whose research areas match with my academic interests and thus I have decided to join your MS course to hone my skills further in this field. I strongly believe that interacting with members of the department will give me an invaluable opportunity to broaden my horizons, and will provide me insight in related research areas. I hope that my strong academic & industrial background and strong motivation for research work are found suitable for an MS in Computer Science at Y University.
fams 3 / 9  
Hello.

I believe you have made a strong statement about you. I like your introduction, along with your ending. However, there are some problems (apart small mechanical errors) that make your essay a bit difficult to read and a bit elusive at some point. Quick remarks:

- stop using "&"! use "and" instead; a SOP is meant to have an academic language :)
- it is not recommended to use abbreviations (etc., MS, ...)
- you might want to cut off some of the boring sentences (ex: , apart for pursuing regular courses like Computer Architecture, Microprocessor, Data communication & Computer Networking, Data structure computer programming, wireless communication. )

- shorten your industry experience description, because you give to much details
- watch out for word repetitions, use synonyms (try a dictionary or search the word 'synonyms' on the Internet)

Do not panic, I repeat myself: it is a strong statement. A little trick that I use to be better my essays is giving it to a friend and ask him or her to cut all the constructions/sentences that make him or her skip to the next phrase/paragraph.

Home / Graduate / "A platform to launch & explore my imagination" - my SOP for MS (Computer Science)