polyamide and epoxy composite projects ; my SOP- Chemicl Engineer

ashah 1 / 1  
Hello,

Am looking to apply for PhD in chemical Engineering dept across EU and Americas. I have come up with an initial essay. I expect correction to follow but it would be great if you critique it for me. I would like to know if the flow is good for PhD essay.I have few doubt on my on eaasy. I think i might have repeated few things but in different words. Waiting for your critique as i would like to redo the essay asap and focus getting the right university to apply

My love for Chemistry and mathematics led me to take Chemical Engineering as my undergraduate major. The final year project, "--------" made me realize my potential for a career in research and development. Over the last 5 years I have found great joy and intellectual fulfillment as a researcher. With an overwhelming desire to learn, invent and now to teach I would like to apply for the PhD studentship the department of Chemical Engineering at XXX

My first "research" project was the undergraduate final year project. Diesel, with excess benzene was hydrogenated in a high pressure reactor using lab made Co-Mo catalyst and the reaction was analyzed using gas chromatography. This project was a great learning curve as for first time see the integration of the equations, the chemistries, the design in real time. Today looking back, it was a very simple and trivial project. Today I identify those 8 months as junction of life when I decide to forgo a job offer from XXX to pursue a career in research.

In purist of my career goal, I enrolled in the Thesis based Mater's of Engineering at XXX. Instead of a cultural shock, i was hit by the shock of advance graduate course. Just after attending two weeks of graduate class and interacting with the faculty, i had my personal guarantee that I have chosen a right career path for me. I joined Prof. A group as a graduate Student. For my thesis, I had to design and experimentally validate a new green manufacturing technology to process polyamide. The success of design lead to an application patent. This project groomed me to be an independent, resourceful, hands on experimentalist skills and reaffirmed research to be a right career path for me. Apart from research, i use to juggle with graduate courses, being a chemistry tutor while enjoying the fusion culture and engineering fusion of the City of New York. From being a researcher to an amateur food connoisseur to work as a production assistant on a movie set, New York city had a huge influence on me as a human as well as a better engineer.

XXX, the company who funded the project, hired me as a research engineer to continue to develop the above said technology. I handled the basic finances, lab demonstration, instructed and trained student on the equipments and the related analytical tools.

I briefly worked at XXX as a Process R&D Chemist on their Silicon based anti fouling technology. Here is got to learn the method and approach to research in a industrial set-up. A better insight to product development from an economic point of view. Since I did not have an intention of settling in United States I left the job after the initial expiry of my work permit.

After coming back to India i took a break for six months. I wanted to take some time off , and revitalize myself. I successfully tackled the governmental bureaucracy to started my own cotton fabric sourcing business. I got acquainted as to how you handle the bureaucracy, legal matters, financial auditing and the "street smart skills" . It was fun filled four months. But when I got an opportunity to work with XXX, at the prestigious XXX, I decided to take it up. We are investigating a process to -------- in an epoxy composite. Based on my previous experience, I found in rather easy to settle in and start an independent project again. Performing multiple reaction in a c lab has immensely improved my experimental capabilities.

With more than 5 years of academic research experience, I will be an excellent fit for this project. The polyamide and epoxy composite projects have help me become very resourceful hand-on experimentalist as well as attain substantial product development skills. In the future, I intend to enter in the field of academia as a faculty. The PhD studentship in the Department of Chemical Engineering at Imperial College London is an excellent and a highly coveted opportunity.
OP ashah 1 / 1  
any critique, positive or negative is welcomed
ah_zafari [Contributor] 40 / 672 148  
The final year project, "--------" made me realize my potential for a career in research and development.

move this statement to the second paragraph.

what did you learn from this experience? talk more about it. Why did you join this company? How could it influence you?

Here is got to learn the method and approach to research in a industrial set-up.

use past tens.

in the United States

Write "I" as a capital letter

I successfully tackled the governmental bureaucracy to started my own cotton fabric sourcing business.

You should make the SOP more interesting and clear. For example, why did you run that business? it is not clear.

Performing multiple reaction in a c lab has immensely improved my experimental capabilities.

it would be better to talk more about new things that you could learn. Did the experience influence your personality too? If YES, you should write about it.

You should write one paragraph about where you want to apply. Where is it? Why did you choose it? Why do you think it is different from other places? What advantages of the university could attract your attention?

Home / Graduate / polyamide and epoxy composite projects ; my SOP- Chemicl Engineer