"Polymer Engineering" - STATEMENT OF PURPOSE FOR GRADUATE ADMISSION

tusharmilan 1 / -  
Please provide your feedback on my SOP.Also please suggest if i should include more details.

STATEMENT OF PURPOSE

I wish to pursue my graduate studies at your esteemed institution, as I believe that a Masters degree will help me to realize my ultimate goal, which is to develop myself as a well trained chemical engineer and establish a career in the chemical industry. My constant desire to learn, explore, and experiment has been instrumental in sparkling an interest in me for graduate study.

During my school days, we had many subjects ranging from history, art etc but the subject that fascinated me the most was definitely science. This was because with the help of science we could answer most of the nature's phenomena. It also involved solving common day problems. My interest in science increased manifolds especially when I was introduced to basic science subjects like physics and chemistry. To gain practical knowledge I participated in various Science Exhibitions and Contests during my school. I started developing predilection towards chemistry when our teacher introduced us to various types of elements, their compounds and myriad types of chemical reactions. Since then I developed a thirst to know more about chemicals and various process involved with it. I score 92/100 in chemistry in my 12th board examination and scored overall 90%. This led me to choose an undergraduate course in chemical engineering because I felt that chemical engineering was the only field which involved study of the basic sciences and mathematics. Another reason behind this choice was that chemical engineers create innovations by solving technological problems that impact the life of common man in surprising ways. Chemical engineers develop new materials, convert raw materials into finished product and also develop techniques to solve environmental problems.

After clearing the entrance exam, I got admit into one of the best chemical colleges in India - Sardar Vallabhbhai National Institute of Technology (SVNIT), Surat. In the period of study at SVNIT, I have undertaken various courses like Heat transfer, Fluid mechanics, Mass Transfer, Mechanical Operations, Process Control and Transport Phenomena which have introduced me to various theoretical concepts and methods which are widely used in chemical industry. I have always been among the top 15% in my chemical engineering subjects. The best thing about engineering was breadth of coursework and emphasis on basic concepts and creativity. I have developed strong research skills through the theoretical and practical experience gained during my undergraduate studies. To solidify my practical experience, I did one month summer training at Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited, one of the most esteemed companies in India. There I studied the "Lubrication Oil Base Stock Plant". I also studied the various types of reactors needed to carry out the process and their operating conditions. I also developed a basic flow diagram with the help of my colleagues. I have also visited Kribco Industries and studied the ammonia plant there.

The undergraduate education has exceedingly served its goal of enhancing my technical skill set along with igniting my interest for research in the field polymer engineering. Owing to this fact, I intend to apply for M.S. degree program in Chemical Engineering at University of XX with specialization in Polymer Engineering.

My interest in Polymer Engineering really developed when I presented a paper at IIT - Roorkee and won the third prize in paper presentation contest. The topic of the paper was "Low Density Polythene(LDPE) as Pour Point Depressor". The paper discussed how LDPE can be used as a pour point depressor in cold countries. To delve deeper in subject of polymer engineering I did a two month summer project on "Depolymerization of PMMA by microwave irradiation" at UICT, Mumbai under the guidance of Prof. Mahanwar. This was an alternative method to degrade plastic apart from thermal degradation. It was important method as it gave 90% monomer recovery and the temperature required to carry oout the experiment was quite low compared to thermal degradation. The experiment was of short duration and the quantity of PMMA required was about 1 gram. The reaction was carried out in microwave reactor (CEM Discover). The product according was predominately MMA as PMMA thermally depolymerises to monomer up to 99% along. A catalyst was not required as PMMA is a polar and a solvent was not used. Molecular weights were determined by gel permeation chromatography and product were studied by Infra red spectroscopy.

To get deeper understanding of the theory involved with polymer engineering, I undertook the elective "Plastics and Ceramics". The course introduced me to the complexity of the polymer molecules and also gave me a thorough understanding of polymer reactions and different types of polymers. It also gave me an insight on how polymeric and composite materials are replacing conventional materials like metals because they are non-corrosive and light. Also the fact that polymers play a pivotal role in modern industry can be stated with certitude. . This course whetted my appetite for polymers and encouraged me to delve deep into this field.

A Graduate degree program compounded by a comprehensively devised course structure, highly advanced laboratories and most importantly, the experience of research faculty will be a perfect platform for me to make the best use of my technical skills and the intellect developed at the undergraduate level. I strongly believe that my technical interests would find its worth, only after being guided through an appropriate channel. With this program at UNIV X, I will have an opportunity to research on projects that are directly linked to the industries and organizations which ultimately affects the real world. Most importantly, UNIV X has a perfect blend of experienced and innovative faculty members who are currently working on research areas related to my interests. Especially, I am interested in the projects of Prof X and Prof Y who are doing research in Polymer science and engineering, related to my undergraduate projects.

If admitted, I will strive to bring the best out of me. I would regard my admission not only as a great honor but also as a great responsibility and an obligation to work hard.
ershad193 14 / 333 5  
which is to develop myself as a well trained chemical engineer and establish a career in the chemical industry

Think about it once. What is "a well trained chemical engineer?"
Don't you think it is a vague term.
Therefore, it's good to name a proper profession. Chemical engineering is a broad field encompassing a host of professions. What do YOU want to be?

My constant desire to learn, explore, and experiment has been instrumental in sparkling an interest in me for graduate study.

I'm sure you have better reasons than these for pursuing your studies. Do some thinking and you will soon realise why you want to study.

During my school days, we had many subjects ranging from history.... chemistry in my 12th board examination and scored overall 90%.

I think it's better to avoid talking about school level studies in a grad school essay. Concentrate on college.

After clearing the entrance exam, I got admit into one of the best chemical colleges in India - Sardar Vallabhbhai National Institute of Technology (SVNIT), Surat.

This sentence is not needed because your CV will carry these details. Right now it is just a repetition.

This was an alternative .... short duration and the quantity of PMMA required was and product were studied by Infra red spectroscopy.

When you describe these things, they should be in a language understood by laymen. Some universities ask that directly and some don't, but I think it's always better to keep the jargon out.

Your conclusion could do with one more sentence.

Home / Graduate / "Polymer Engineering" - STATEMENT OF PURPOSE FOR GRADUATE ADMISSION