Process control/ optimization, modelling, simulation.. SOP for PhD admission in Chemical Engineering

Umarumair01 1 / -  
Asaalaam o Alaikum
i am applying for PhD admission in international universities. i have written a sample sop for a university which is well suited to my research interests... if you could guide me for improvements in this sop, it would b a great favor.....

Dear Sir,
Throughout my life, I have learned that the ultimate happiness is obtained not ‎only by hard work and intelligence, but also by unlimited bravery in pursuing my own ‎dreams. It is my prodigious desire for learning, invention, and teaching that directed ‎me to continue my education towards a PhD degree.‎ A PhD is the essential and crucial conjunction between my past achievements and my future progress and an opportunity to make an impact and build a heritage for the academia. I hope to take this important step at XXXX. I hope to contribute positively to future improvements in the field of process integration and computer aided process engineering. I know that there are challenges and opportunities on the way to my dream, but all these will fuel my passion and urge me on to explore the unknown domain in chemical engineering

Over the years in school, I developed a great interest in basic sciences and mathematics because I was amazed by the role science and mathematics played, to help mankind lead a better life. This led me to choose an undergraduate course in engineering, specifically chemical engineering, because I felt that chemical engineering was the only field which involved study of the basic sciences and mathematics. Another reason behind this choice was that, chemical engineers create innovations, by solving technological problems that impacts the life of common man in surprising ways.

In the period of study at University of XXX, I have undertaken various courses like Heat transfer, Fluid mechanics, Mass Transfer, Mechanical Operations, Process Control, Chemical Reaction Engineering, Energy Engineering, Plant Design, Simulations using Aspen Hysys etc. which have introduced me to various theoretical concepts and methods which are widely used in chemical industry.

I also got opportunity to visit various chemical industries. The first industrial visit was a great experience for me. I was simply astounded to see the giant distillation towers and extractors and other reactors. I was also taken to the plant control division where I was shown how the entire plant was automated and how the entire process could be monitored using the computers. It was just splendid that an entire plant was being controlled by just a few operators monitoring the various critical parameters at their terminals. This really kindled my interest in the usage of computers in chemical industries which led me to explore more applications of computers in chemical engineering. Topics such as Process control, Process optimization, Modeling and Simulation really fascinated me.

Subsequent to my undergraduate program, I undertook a Master's program at ‎Department of Chemical Engineering, University of XXX and with it I delved ‎deeper into the fascinating world of chemical engineering. During my Masters studies at University of XXX, I have studied courses like Mathematical Methods in Chemical Engineering, Process Design & Optimization, advanced process dynamics & control, advanced separation processes, advanced Reactor design.

The use of computational techniques for mathematical modelling and simulation, process design, process control, and process optimization have always been my keen interest area. The state of the art and current trends in computer-aided modeling and their application to process integration & optimization have always appealed me. Considering my interest and motivation for research using process simulation tools, I elected to focus on hydrodynamics study using CFD simulations. My MS thesis title was ‎‎"XXXX" under ‎supervision of Professor Dr.XXX . The main focus of my research was to study hydrodynamics of a reactive distillation process using ANSYS Fluent software.

My excellent academic performance and strong aspiration for teaching earned me an opportunity to join as lecturer in University of XXX. All because of my passion for process modelling and simulation, I have taught courses like Chemical Engineering Mathematics (Process modelling), Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics, Chemical Engineering Plant Design and Transport Phenomena. In Lab lectures, I have taught applications of software like Aspen Hysys, Aspen Plus, MATLAB in chemical engineering to undergraduate students with the help of different chemical engineering problems.

I plan to continue my research in computer aided engineering as a PhD student in an internationally reputable ‎and high-ranked research university. In order to find the appropriate graduate ‎program which can fulfill my educational goals and best match my research interests, ‎I have pursued different sources, and I have found the PhD program at XXX University and XXX research group well suited to my interests. Taking part as a PhD student in application of process engineering methods to process design & optimization, energy integration feels like a natural development of my academic career and well suited to my research interests. From the course of my studies and experiences so far, I know that this opportunity will be as challenging and competitive as it will be stimulating, and that the possibility of taking part in such a piece of work will lay a solid foundation for my future career as a teacher.

I have full ‎confidence that my diligence, dedication, and genuine interest in learning coupled ‎with the exceptional guidance I can receive from XXX team will allow me to ‎contribute to my fields of interest. It would be an honor to be part of the XXX research group.

Yours Faithfully,
Hi Umar, as I finish reading your essay, I must say it is quiet redundant, what I mean is that the information in the essay is way too much for its due purpose. I suggest that you try to revise the essay by omitting a few sentences or even paragraphs, make sure that when you do though, keep the pertinent and relevant information in the essay.

I believe the one that may not make it to your revision is the part where you talk about Engineering process, don't get me wrong, this information is vital, however, it may not be necessary for the purpose of this essay. It is an information that will be needed in the other essays that will follow, so I suggest keeping it as a buffer.

Moreover, the essay is written well, and the good points that I liked about it is the construction of the essay, the flow is right, the idea is following a certain sequence and the grammar is also acceptable.

I hope this is useful in your revision.

Home / Graduate / Process control/ optimization, modelling, simulation.. SOP for PhD admission in Chemical Engineering