'psychology major'; Statement of Purpose - MFA in Design

emsch 1 / -  
Hi All,

This is my first draft of my SOP and I actually just wanted some feedback on how I can make this better.

Thanks!
-Ems

Statement of Purpose

I want the opportunity to create for the future. I want to be creating the tomorrow that everyone is going to be exploring. I want to be the designer that constructs not just a one to one interaction but a one to many interactions.

As a psychology major, my time was dedicated to studying people's interactions and reactions. Going into college, I really could not decide what I wanted to do. I chose psychology because I found interest in how people behaved; around others and by themselves. I was interested in why people were the way they are, what could've made them that way and how their behaviors can be altered. Other than studying the experiments that were already done, I couldn't find a way to further approach my interest until my last year in college.

For my final year, I took all art electives hoping to have a fun and enjoyable last year in college. I did not think that this would give me a new passion. I learned from my classes how I can use my designs in creating an interaction and a reaction. Instead of studying it, I was able to be the creator. I knew at that point it was too late for me to switch into a new major so instead I taught myself basic design skills and took a creative internship to start building my career.

Since then, I have had three internships, two of which are graphic design internships and my current one is a web design and development internship. I soaked up everything I can learn about design from my co-workers and mentors. I never want to stop learning about design. Because I don't have a firm background in design, I tried harder to push myself to do more.

I want to be able to use my design abilities to create the future. By pursuing a Masters degree at SVA, I am looking to learn the skills that would enable me to be a part of the innovation of tomorrow. I want to be able to be even more passionate about design through this program. By using my knowledge on studying interactions, I want to be able to bring that knowledge into designing.
coolintake 2 / 8 1  
Good content. Using your psychology know-how adds value to future design, is a good hook.

I would suggest that you emphasize how you want to create the future in your own eyes, rather than be part of the mix that creates/becomes the future (I hope I'm getting the idea across). Share some avenues you want to explore/experiment that peaks your interest and possibly crosses psychology and design

Home / Graduate / 'psychology major'; Statement of Purpose - MFA in Design