Home / Graduate   % width NEW!

'Ralph Waldo Emerson' Law School Personal Statement

mcbritt 1 / -  
Okay, I need some help on my law school personal statement. I am posting a very rough draft, so please be brutal if you need to be. I want it to be great! Thanks!

Ralph Waldo Emerson once stated, "The world makes way for the man who knows where he is going." These powerful words from this wise man are reminders to every individual that a life without goals is a life without fulfillment. However, devising one's goals is an extremely tough task but even more difficult is attaining those goals. In the spirit of this inspirational message, I would like to share with you some of my goals and my ongoing journey to accomplish them.

I was born and raised in the small town of Oxford, Mississippi. Like many children raised in a small town, most of my days were absolute bliss, filled with quirky neighbors, traditional family pets, and endless neighborhood friends to play with. Though I sometimes envied those who grew up in the hustle and bustle of an urban community, I now realize that my small town existence is what has shaped me into exactly who I am today.

I am the youngest of four children, so my days of playing the guinea pig began about the time I could walk. I was always the one who had to "test out the new elevator" which by the way consisted of a pulley, a bucket, a rope, and some bricks. It took a few times of barreling to the ground before we discovered how many bricks it took to descend down at a steady pace. Others times they needed me to "jump out of the tree house" or "play popcorn on the trampoline" among others. One would think this would get very tiring; I, however, loved the chance to be a part of their playtime, and I cherished these moments. I would always jump up ready to go again the next time they needed me.

My family is such a positive influence in my life and collectively they helped me determine and achieve my goals. My mother owned a bed and breakfast in Oxford for twenty years, the Oliver Britt House. The endless hard work she put into the "inn" and her ongoing dedication set such an example for me that if you put the work into it, good things will come. Her influence made me always strive to follow my dreams. My father, a civil engineer, and owner of Elliott and Britt Engineering taught me "you make your own luck." He has always worked very hard and never depended on others to give him anything, and it is from him that I draw my independence and assertiveness.

Around my sophomore year in high school, I started to ponder just what is was I was to become. I asked myself that age-old question of "where do I fit in, in this great big world?" I thought long and hard, and I kept circling back to law. I have always been a very analytical person and found the law such a masterpiece of great men that I could endlessly debate.

I went right away and joined my high school mock trial team to test my theory. Many students had been on the team for years, and I worried that I would not be considered for some of the more prominent positions because of my inexperience. Thankfully, I was wrong. Just as I had expected, I shone like a bright new star. I was even awarded the "best witness" and 'best attorney" award for my performances of our first case. An honor that I did not take lightly as no one on the team had ever done that or has done it since. My parents were beaming and frowning at the same time as they had always joked, I "could become anything I wanted as long as it wasn't a lawyer." I was different than their other three children who were all scientifically gifted and became two pharmacists and a doctor, but they saw in me a new light and a great pride in what I was doing, and they knew I had found my calling.

I began my college experience at the University of Mississippi with great enthusiasm of beginning my new journey to one day achieving that Jurist Doctorate. I kept my eye on the ball. I was awarded numerous scholarships including an Academic Excellence scholarship as well as the coveted Gatlin business school scholarship and the Charles Porter Memorial scholarship. I participated in sorority "Rush" and pledged Chi Omega. I cherished my newfound sisters and went on to serve Chi Omega as social chair. I planned parties for 500 people, and though it was difficult, I somehow managed to pull of all of our events without a hitch.

My next order of business was to find summer employment that would provide me with meaningful experience and prepare me for my future. My first summer after my Freshman year, I found a job with Hughes and Hitt law firm in Oxford, Mississippi to make sure I wanted to be an attorney. My employment there was just what I needed to stay on track. I consistently helped with real estate closings and prepared documents or ran to the courthouse to retrieve documents. Whatever needed to be done, I did it. My dream of becoming a lawyer was not skirted by the late nights we sometimes spent making sure we were ready for the following day's closing. I was given a great deal of responsibility and it was hard work but it was interesting. I kept forging ahead.

The summer following my junior year, I was awarded a NAPSLO internship. It is a very prestigious that provides Insurance and Risk management students with real world experience. The National Association of Surplus Lines Brokers, NAPSLO, sends you, all expenses paid, to two different companies, a surplus lines insurance carrier, and a surplus lines insurance broker. I was fortunate enough to spend my first five weeks in Scottsdale, Arizona with Nautilus Insurance and my last four weeks with The Sullivan Group in Los Angeles, California. The experience was indescribable. The opportunity was literally once in a lifetime. I can honestly say living alone in two big cities and starting a vigorous internship, I have never learned so much not only about insurance but also about life.

In conclusion, it has been a long journey, but it does not stop here. I will keeping forging ahead because until I have been awarded my Jurist Doctorate, it is not over. As you can see, I have always "made my own luck" and know I can continue my success as a law student. I know I will represent Ole Miss and the state of Mississippi well upon completing my degree and I look forward to setting my next goal of becoming a corporate lawyer. I thank you for your time and consideration.

Home / Graduate / 'Ralph Waldo Emerson' Law School Personal Statement