Recently graduated and want to continue my study - SoP Barcelona GSE

wholequest 1 / 1  
Hi, everyone.

I am currently applying to Barcelona GSE and want to seek some comment on my Statement of Purpose essay. The school does not provide the prompt, only a word limit (max. 700 words). I'm really appreciate any comment :)

Statement of Purpose

I recently graduated from Bandung Institute of Technology, Indonesia, with Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics. I intend to continue my education in economics and reach my dream to become a researcher specialized in the phenomenon of financial crisis.

I found my passion in economics through the 6.7 trillion rupiahs bailout of Bank Century. The bailout was controversial and forced the sitting Indonesia finance minister and vice president to explain their decision in a series of parliamentary hearings. I was so interested in the proceeding that I sat in front of my family television for hours to watch it. When I was watching it, I felt an urge to understand the root of financial crisis and act to prevent it from happening again.

During my study, I put every possible effort to expand my knowledge in economics and finance as much as I do with mathematics. I took graduate level courses in econometrics and international finance, taking a bank management course offered by business department, and even enrolled in several online courses in macroeconomics and finance. Together, those courses made me think more about the current issues in the economy and inspires me to gain further education in economics.

My skills in mathematics, especially in differential equation, optimization, and numerical methods, have applied in a final undergraduate project about banking. In the project, I supposed that banks manage their loans and deposits volume following a capacity curve, an idea I borrowed from the field of biomathematics. I develop a differential equation model and use it as the basis for a simulation of balance sheet dynamics, calibrated with parameters I got from data of four Indonesia banks. The paper submitted to Bank Indonesia Financial System Stability paper competition as a joint work with my project supervisor, where it won the 4th prize out of at least 60 other different submissions.

After graduation, I am looking forward to further enhance my knowledge and gain research experiences in economics. In my master education, I intend to explore all major field in economics, but especially keen to catch on my educational gap in microeconomics and econometrics. As of research, I wish to investigate topics such as pro-cyclical nature of financial system, market microstructure, and macro prudential policy. I hope that what I will get in master education will prepare me to study in the Ph.D. level.

To support my aforementioned goal in my academic life, I am looking for a master program which offers rigorous education and stimulating environment to conduct research in economics. I believe Barcelona GSE will perfectly match my expectation, mainly because the unique blend of theoretical and applied perspective embedded in the spirit of the school. I am also eager to expand my professional network, both with established economist and economist in the making. The diverse faculty and student body of Barcelona GSE is a great starting point to do just that.

In the long run we are all dead, but before I face my own graveyard, I intend to lay my legacy in the fascinating field of economics first. After I have finished my Master degree in Barcelona GSE, I hope to see one day when my scientific contribution featured in The Barcelona GSE Voice website as a respected researcher I intended to be.
Hi Akmal, as I read and reviewed your essay, I must say it was fairly written, I say fairly as it consist of too many information that is somehow not necessary for the purpose of the essay. A quick review, the purpose of the essay is to know what is your motive in joining a renowned institution in Barcelona, this means that the answer should be focused on your academic goals, your take away after the completion of your program and more importantly, what does it bring to your plate and how you can apply it in life.

Moreover, I understand that you would like to highlight your achievements, goals and aspirations, yes this will help, however, you might want to do a revised essay, leaning towards your futuristic goal towards joining the institution, meaning what will you become when you get admitted to the institution, this is your selling point and this will give you an edge from the other applications.

Overall, I won't deny that your essay is written in a well mannered form, however, I believe you can do better than this.

I hope this helps!
OP wholequest 1 / 1  
Hi, @justivy03! Thank you for your thoughtful response. You're right, I haven't made my future goals clear in the essay. I'll close this thread and post the (greatly) revised essay later. Again, thank you!

Home / Graduate / Recently graduated and want to continue my study - SoP Barcelona GSE