'the relationship between man and medicine' - Physician Assistant school narrative

kheart9 1 / 2  
Wanting help/advice for my personal narrative for Physician Assistant school. Any and all advice welcome and appreciated!! Thanks!

At the age of six, my younger twin sisters were born four months premature, and lived their first five months continuously hooked up to machines and IVs. I learned early the importance of experienced, skillfully trained, and compassionate medical professionals, because without them, my sisters would not be where they are today. Being forever grateful for the exceptional care with which they were treated, it is my desire to use my expertise and my passion for the intricacies of the medical field to help others in need. I am applying to Physician Assistant School because I personally aim to fulfill this fundamental niche and be involved, working hand in hand with knowledgeable physicians, nurses, assistants and the entire medical team.

Having spent time shadowing medical doctors, surgeons, cardiopulmonary perfusionists, discussing the career with physician assistants, and participating in medical internships associated with my college degree, I have had the opportunity to witness the pros and cons of the medical world. I have seen the long hours, days of being on-call, the late nights, but also the joy and thankfulness of the patients' faces when an operation has gone well or a clean check-up is given. I am motivated to be a Physician Assistant because I believe I would excel in the work and career demands, as well as take pleasure in the flexibility, autonomy, and educational aspects of the position. I thoroughly enjoyed the time spent shadowing in the disciplines of cardiology, vascular surgery, general practice, and women's health, and would very much enjoy the ability to experience and work in all these areas. Being a Physician Assistant would allow me such flexibility. I also want to be able to have a fulfilling life with a family, not having a career as the focus of my life, as I would if I went to medical school. By being a Physician Assistant, I can work in the medical field while also maintaining a balance with the rest of the social, spiritual, and familial components I want in my life. I desire the autonomy to practice medicine but would enjoy the fact that as a PA, I could rely on and collaborate with medical doctors as partners.

Even though I have already graduated with my bachelor's degree, until I am accepted into Physician Assistant school, I am continuing my education by taking anatomy and physiology courses, an abnormal psychology course, and a medical terminology course. I am also taking a Phlebotomy Certification course in August through October and plan on working in direct patient care afterwards until Physician Assistant school begins.

My aptitude for paying attention to detail is high. I am a fast learner, able to think quickly on my feet and make connections between pieces of information, while also having the ability to slow down and listen to what I am being told. I am very curious in nature and enjoy learning. The human body, how it functions, and the practice of medicine have been a longtime fascination of mine. I feel that being a Physician Assistant will allow me to mature in knowledge by learning more about the relationship between man and medicine and giving me the ability to explore the world of medicine in many of its entities. To me, this is not just a job but a lifelong, honorable career in service to others. I have a passion for the Physician Assistant career and will persist until I achieve this goal.
terencetufuor 1 / 4  
my name is terence tufuor my cousin jeremy was always born three months premature this almost killed my aunty and what we could all think of what a miracle she spent all her all day crying , going to prayer camps and just giving up when she found out that life is not like a fairy tale. kelligh sproutt this is a very good and if i was the principal of physician assitant school as soon as i start readind i would send you an e-mail that you have been accepted because as i am writing the memories of the padt make me cry. stand strong, firm and become the physician you want to be because remember we only have one life and one chance to move closer to heaven. Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
msrunnergrl 1 / 2  
1st paragraph
Good hook. I learned early in the second sentence is awkward phrasing. The third sentence implies that you already have skills to help and be an assistant. The last sentence can be condensed. maybe ' I want to be a physician's assistant because I understand their importance and how their niche fits in with the entire medical team. But then you would need to go on about how you know.

2nd paragraph
Be very careful how you phrase the whole family bit. Stating that family life is not good w/ medical school is not accurate. Do not put in opinions that look down on other things. Just stop at the fact that being a PA allows autonomy, which makes family life easier. But even then, give an example of how.

3rd paragraph
Very good. I did not find anything I would change
4th paragraph
The last paragraph just seems to jump to you positive points. Maybe you could transition to the last paragraph while relating to your title again?

But overall it is really good. Good luck!
OP kheart9 1 / 2  
thank you very much msrunnergrl!!

Home / Graduate / 'the relationship between man and medicine' - Physician Assistant school narrative