Requesting a short evaluation of Letter of Motivation for Chalmers Univ.

DebasishEmb 1 / 1  
Hello Guys, Can anyone please please please review my LOM... please!!!

Letter of Motivation

I have rewritten the letter of motivation for Chalmers Univ... I request a review from you people... Thanks in Advance...

-------------------

Letter of Motivation

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to declare my sincere interest in participating in the Master of Science degree program in Embedded Electronic System Design at the Chalmers University of Technology. Pursuing my master's degree in Embedded Electronic Systems Design at Chalmers University will be a dream-come-true because this degree program is an unique blend of the exact subjects that I want to master in, i.e. Electronic System Design, Energy Aware Computing, Real Time Systems and Fault Tolerant Computer Systems and I am absolutely confident that such a well tailored program will be hard to find elsewhere.

In my Bachelor Degree(B.Tech) curriculum, the course on Digital Electronics made me realize my enthusiasm and inquisitiveness towards the world of computers as now I could understand how the various circuits and chips work at the logic level. This enthusiasm was reinforced when I came across the course on Microprocessor and Microcontrollers. This particular course introduced me to the world of embedded systems. The fact that intelligence could be injected into everyday objects intrigued me to the maximum and I devoted my entire effort to learn and understand this trade. I delved into the depths of Embedded Systems design and studied a large number of research papers. I was fascinated by the extent to which such systems can prove to be useful but was curious at the same time to understand how such systems could be powered efficiently and how their fidelity could be enhanced under fault conditions.

The decision to pursue Master's degree was natural to me as I wanted to be a specialist in embedded systems and eventually be involved in research and development in this domain. For such a goal, I would require the immense academic, intellectual and practical skills which only a master's degree can provide. In my home country very few reputed universities provide a master's degree in embedded systems and still fewer provide courses on "Electronic System Design", "Energy Aware Computing" and "Fault Tolerant Systems" together.

This forced me to explore opportunities elsewhere and when I came across the Master's program at Chalmers University of Technology, I realized that this course suits my interests to the fullest. To judge the suitability of the course further, I went through the course structure in detail. The syllabus for "Energy Aware Computing" caught my attention in particular, as it provides an opportunity to understand the role played by the architecture and the circuit layout/structure in energy consumption of systems. Moreover, the course "Fault Tolerant Systems" will enable the students to study, evaluate, and formulate dependability requirements of systems, which is a crucial step in designing embedded systems, especially mission-critical systems. Apart from these, courses like "Methods for Electronic System Design" ,"Computer Architecture", "Mixed-signal System Design" , "Real Time Systems" etc. make this master's program a perfect avenue to reach my goals.

I plan to write my master's thesis on novel approaches towards efficient power consumption and/or on approaches to attain appreciable fidelity in devices that are mission-critical, for example wearable electronics, medical devices, control systems for vehicles and airplanes etc. Power supply and power consumption of such devices are extremely crucial for satisfactory performance. We cannot expect a constant source of power, instead stored power sources (batteries) seem to be the only viable supply sources. Since such sources have a definite lifetime, we need to make sure that the devices use only that much power which is needed and minimize power losses both on the physical circuit and also in computing(running the program loaded into them) .

I aspire to pursue Ph.D and become a researcher eventually, however, I was apprehensive about the suitability of traditional MS in Electrical, Electronic or Computer Engineering as these are not appropriately tailored as per my areas of interest and as a result my learning in the field of Embedded Systems will not be profound enough. However, I am confident that this master's program will build the perfect platform and will definitely propel me towards my research career.

I believe that my past educational background and professional experience will be advantageous towards pursuing the master's degree as it is perfectly aligned with the degree objective. I was persistent in learning embedded system design throughout my bachelor's degree years which culminated into my B.Tech degree project and thesis. I opted for robotics as my B.Tech project where I was the system designer and programmer of the team. It was called "Spybot-cum-Surveillance Robo" and our project was declared as the "Project of the Year" and was awarded the grade 'O', which is the highest grade attainable.

My abilities in the field of embedded systems was acknowledged by Siemens Technology and Services Pvt. Ltd. and I was offered the position of System Engineer. My responsibilities in the organization include:

- Research and Implementation of control system logic on Siemens hardware(PLCs)

- Implementation of new features in the Software engineering portal for Industrial Automation Devices

- Research and Troubleshooting of complaints forwarded by Siemens AG

- Cross team support in hardware set up and control logic implementation

These responsibilities required me to learn and utilize my understanding of the micro-architecture of Siemens devices, Industrial control techniques and software engineering skills on a daily basis. My hard-work and diligence towards my profession was rewarded when I was promoted to the position of Senior System Engineer in just 2 years of joining as a fresh graduate.

Moreover, Sweden is the third largest country in the European Union by area and seventh largest in the world in terms of GDP and also the home to companies like Volvo, Ericsson, Scania etc. Also, research is extremely encouraged in Swedish academia. All these factors motivate me to pursue my master's degree in Sweden.

Given an opportunity, I assure you that my diligence, perseverance, and urge to excel will enable me to become an appreciated member of the Chalmers University of Technology family.

Yours sincerely,

Debasish Mukherjee
Debasish, I did go through your LOM and being the reader in this case, I feel like I'm reading a personal letter.
Yes you have written your academic achievements, goals and aspiration but for now this is not what the prompt
is asking you to do, it's a motivation letter,not an outline of your academic background.

Your motivation letter should answer the question,
What influenced you to pursue your Masters in Chalmers university?
This should be not more that 3 paragraphs, highlighting your passion for this field of studies
and keep in mind that you can still use or will be needing the other information in this essay that you may
not be allowed to use later.

I suggest that you re-write your essay, streamline it to the agenda that you have and avoid unnecessary
information that will not be applicable to strengthen your essay.

I hope to read your revised essay that is direct to the purpose of the essay and make sure that it is a straight forward

paper to evaluate.
OP DebasishEmb 1 / 1  
Thank you for the feedback... I am actually re-writing it now... I will post it soon... I hope u will have some time to go through the new one... :-)
dynaranjani 27 / 24 18  
Hi Debasish..

It is such a good writing and you just have answered the most essential question in writing of the motivation letter.
The idea is well-explained and its flow is extremely easy to understand. However, I think that it is better for you to not mention all of your responsibilities when you worked in this letter, just state that you had worked in Siemens and what have you learned there. No need to go in detail in this part.

On the other hand, you can give the detail information in your CV.

Good luck !

Home / Graduate / Requesting a short evaluation of Letter of Motivation for Chalmers Univ.