REVIEW GUYS - TRACK MOTIVATION FOR MASTERS IN ENGINEERING DESIGN WITH MACHINE DESIGN TRACK

salil96ii 1 / 1  
I am writing this to express my interest and my strong motivation for the Masters Programme in Engineering Design with Machine Design track. I strongly believe that my educational background, my work experience, and my deep concern in this field of study make me a suitable and competent candidate for the program.

During my Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering at PEC University of Technology Chandigarh, I took and completed the following specific design courses with good grades: Introduction to Engineering Design, Engineering Graphics, Machine Design & Drawing, Design of Machine Elements, Optimization in Engineering Design, and CAD / CAM. These courses were really interesting and formed my basics of design of mechanical components & systems. It motivated me to gain in-depth knowledge about design principles, design techniques and practical implementation of the same. Because of the same motivation to design, analyze, and validate mechanical products, I was selected as Vice Captain by the college SAE team for the Efficycle project with aim to design and manufacture an efficient hybrid tricycle. I was mainly involved in the designing part from concept design to the final full tricycle design. During the project, I sharpened my skills related to CAD & CAE softwares like SolidWorks, CATIA, Ansys, Hypermesh, etc., and learned actual implementation of design principles. The practical implementation of the design principles used while designing and to see how it affected overall performance of the tricycle was amazing. In addition, my degree's main project work was the design of the Electromagnetic braking system which itself was challenging & motivating at the same time. By the end of my bachelor's, I was sure to go into the design-oriented research field for my career. After my Bachelors, I opted to work in ABCD LTD. in the R&D department. Currently, I am working as Deputy Manager in R&D and my principal work is to design passenger car steel wheels considering different parameters and using various design principles. I also look after design validation through FEA softwares. I am responsible for doing the load calculations, generating load cases for my FEA team & analyzing the reports that I receive from FEA engineers. I have learned a lot while my stay at SSWL and worked on full projects for worldwide OEMs from concept design of wheels, to actual validation on testing machines. Also, I undertook many research projects at SSWL in cooperation with different organizations like TATA Steels, POSCO Steels, TUV Germany, Rings Tech. Corporation Ltd. (RTCL), Japan etc. During the work, our team has also been granted 5 DESIGN PATENTS (Design Nos. : 328695-001, 328694-001, 324403-001, 324402-001 & 322137-001) by Indian Patent Office for high vent wheels and 1 UTILITY PATENT with my name as co-inventor is in the application phase.

With all the above-mentioned skills and experience, I want to further enhance my knowledge and experience in design. I want to widen my prospective and want to gain deep knowledge in my interested field of study. I admire the Swedish engineering institutes for sustainability, innovation, and technology. I believe that KTH being a well-known technical university with a great reputation and offering such a well-suited course will be a perfect platform for me to use my existing knowledge to the fullest and to learn new aspects of design. As I heard from KTH Alumni, the practical approach in the Engineering Design course with Machine Design track will help me fully understand how to apply the knowledge; I gain theoretically, in real-world problems. The courses in this program are very relevant and will help me to better understand: the robust designing of technical components in mechanical products, the design and development of complex technical systems, the modeling and dynamic simulations of machine systems, and will help me to gain overall in-depth practical knowledge that will be required to lead product design and development in future. Besides, I will have the opportunity to develop myself in an international environment giving me the privilege to meet new people with different points of view. I would love to share my experiences and my knowledge with my other batch-mates and would love to listen back from them. That would be a very enriching experience for me.

I realize the highly competitive demands of the program, but I have the ability, ambition, and motivation to exceed the requirements and to excel at the university. I assure you to fully contribute to the course's intended learning outcomes and to become a more efficient engineer to make the world a better place with optimized, cost effective, innovative and sustainable products. Therefore, I would be very proud and happy if I receive admission to this program.

The educational background that you are presenting is just an enumeration of courses. It does not prove that you have been totally prepared and actually have applied these lines of study to your actual workplace. An effective educational background would have shown a direct representation of the courses, as implemented in your workplace, within your current or past work duties. As of now, I cannot consider these information as a true motivation for interest in this course.

The professional presentation should be a separate paragraph, independent of the educational background as the two are not related in content. This is nothing more than a long listing of your resume, which is not what a motivation letter is all about. The second paragraph further fails to represent an actual motivation for your interest be it academically or in terms of career advancement. The letter is not effective due to the lack of a proper motivation in relation to your skills and other prompt requirements. This is a mere discussion, that does not give a proper focus on the required information. This essay cannot help you create a successful scholarship application. There is stiff competition for the EM scholarship program this year. You are not, based on this presentation going to make it past the screening round. Not unless you can develop a correct motivational letter. From the looks of it, you do not have a clear motivation for the studies in terms of your future career. You have failed to properly provide the required prompt requirements.
OP salil96ii 1 / 1  
Hey!

Based on your feedback,
I have modified the motivation letter as below.

Please review... ->>>>>

I am writing this to (...) for the program.

The surge in world population, adverse environmental conditions and more stringent norms demand for highly efficient, innovative and sustainable mechanical components & systems. To design such efficient, optimized, innovative and sustainable mechanical products and to reduce the overall carbon footprint, it requires deep understanding of the design process and in-depth know-how of the specific subject matter. Thus my aspiration to take up the Master program in Engineering Design field conforms to my goal of leading design & development of optimized, innovative and sustainable mechanical products in future.

Besides, my decision to study Engineering Design with the Machine design track at KTH is motivated by below mentioned reasons. First of all, I admire the KTH Institute for sustainability, innovation, and technology. KTH is a well-known technical university with a great reputation and is strongly connected with industry. What is more, the practical approach in the Engineering Design course with Machine Design specialization. It will help me fully understand how to apply the knowledge; I gain theoretically, in real-world problems. The courses in this program are very relevant to my interest and will provide me the best opportunity to gain the further knowledge and skills necessary to pursue my professional goals. In addition, I will have the opportunity to develop myself in an international environment giving me the privilege to meet new people with different points of views. That would be a very enriching experience for me.

I believe that my educational background and my professional work experience would enable me to meet the requirements of the Master course and would enable me to excel at the University. I have done my Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering at PEC University of Technology Chandigarh. Strong fundamentals and my diligence allowed me to complete my bachelor's degree with a CGPA of 8.63/10. In my undergraduate curriculum I found the courses related Engineering Design the most intriguing. These courses were really interesting and formed my basics of design. During the course of study, I acquired skills related to CAD & CAE softwares like SolidWorks, CATIA, Ansys, Hypermesh, etc., and learned actual implementation of design principles while working on innovative and challenging projects such as design of an efficient hybrid tricycle and design of electromagnetic braking system.

After my Bachelors, I opted to work in ABCD LTD in the R&D department. We are working with the vision to design and manufacture lightweight steel wheels in the most sustainable way and to be the first solution provider for vehicle manufacturers all around the world. I have learned a lot during my stay at SSWL and worked on various projects for worldwide OEMs from concept design of wheels, to actual validation on testing machines. The work at SSWL has introduced me to the real practical challenges that are faced during the design and development of a critical mechanical component. During the work, our team has also been granted 5 Design Patents (328695-001, 328694-001, 324403-001, 324402-001 & 322137-001) by Indian Patent Office for innovative high vent wheels and 1 Utility Patent with my name as co-inventor is in the application phase. With this experience and with the skills that I acquired at SSWL, I am sure that I will now be able to understand the courses and the study work in the Master program with a wider perspective and with full understanding of practical implementation of the same.

I realize the highly (...) to this program.

Home / Graduate / REVIEW GUYS - TRACK MOTIVATION FOR MASTERS IN ENGINEERING DESIGN WITH MACHINE DESIGN TRACK