Review my SOP-MFA (my peaceful journey)

misalike 2 / 1  
I am attaching lists they have asked me to write, Please review them, I think my essay might be too long, and I am not sure my writing goes in right direction, please help me.thanks!! I put ( ) to protect too specific names and place :), I am sorry, it is too long

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Give a brief account of your background in relation to education, employment and activities relevant to the field of art/design.
2. State why you have selected Art and Design at Iowa State University for graduate study.
3. Describe your objectives and professional goals.

My journey seems so peaceful, my ship went forward, the sea was in so still, and I seated myself there, took a delight in surroundings. One day, I realized my ship didn't go along the direction as I planned. Besides, I noticed that I'd been subconscious of finding answers to mend my deviation. I had tools to correct my direction, yet I didn't know where to and with what I was supposed to navigate. Throughout my journey, I shifted my direction perhaps several times, but without precise intention. As a graduate student, at ( ), I hope to intend build upon my principles, ethics and ideas that will help to shape my journey.

In 2001, I graduated from ( ) University with BA degree; Major in Studio Art (Graphic Design) and Minor in History of Art. I was very self-confident student by the time I came to (), because I had been an honor student who had been getting full tuition-waiver, travel abroad scholarships. Perhaps studying art in undergraduate education was my first shift in my journey since I studied different subject, even though studying design and its history was very fascinating and I found myself became very serious. However, no one can predict the future and nor did I. As an international student, I had hard time to pay off the tuition since my country started to struggle in economic crisis, either my family did. I started finding more part-time jobs and I couldn't focus on my study. The only matter was if I was able to graduate from the school. And, finally I did graduate, with lower grade but in regrets.

I left my regrets behind to go on my journey, and moved to ( ). I was soon acquired a job in a small design agency. I created mostly 2d designs in multi-cultural environment which was great valuable lessons to push me into the world where I had understanding of how visual communication worked in diverse cultural settings.

During next four years, I worked at a rather big daily newspaper company, and I shortly discovered myself in another discipline of design, advertising. Under supervision of, ( ) who was my supervisor and very influential to me, I participated in book publishing projects several times in years. Since the company had their own printing facilities I learned a lot of actual printing processes.

In addition to that, my supervisor saw my passion in teaching, computer application skills, she recommended me to be a part-time graphic design instructor at the community educational center. Teaching other people taught me a lot, just like what Stefan Sagmeister recently said in his book; helping other people helps me. I would be willing to relinquish my weekends and weekday nights for my passion in teaching which led me to be an English instructor in my country recently. Moreover, in my free time, I worked as a freelance graphic designer for a tabloid monthly magazine in ( ) for two years, which gave me a great deal of strengths on designing editorials.

Even with these valuable experiences, however, I drove myself into another shift in 2006. I came to perceive me being in hollow. I might have been manipulating tedious designing techniques and skills. I resigned from work and spent time taking photographs, observing art works, architectures and cultural heritage across Europe for couple months while I looked back upon my journey as a graphic designer. Every moment I spent there was reminded me of the thrills that I had when I first started studying design back in ( ).

My journey have brought me to the next step: advanced studies in graphic design. As a graduate student, I hope to interact with many other students and faculties even in other programs, and experiment a social role of a designer by participating in student organizations, working for community projects, being in seminars.

Visual art can be communicated even with illiteracy and ignorance. It could have unlimited power toward social change with the collaboration of many other fields such as biological science, agriculture and politics. I believe, in terms of developing positive social evolution, designers should not only produce design, but also be responsible for their results. With this view, visual art in public should be intended with more concerns; therefore, I would like to examine more visual communications for public in ecological and sustainable design issues. In particular, I expect to hear more about environmental and wayfinding graphic design from Professor ( ), multicultural communication and information design from Professor ( ).

Additionally, I am excited to join in various events such as exhibitions, competitions, art sales, career expo, and design exchange at ( ) University. I am eager to meet new people, and exchange ideas and views about design fields, even willing to cross borders into other fields. Plus, being in the city of (), where the diversity breaths, I will be accelerated to accomplish my goals as a graphic designer.

In a graduate program in graphic design at ( ) University, I look forward to gaining the key to know where to and with what to go on my journey; to exploring on profound ethics and values in graphic design, indeed I can have a chance to re-design the future with those on top of the present. Just like when I started studying design, once again I would find myself in thrills by putting me into another shift that will correct my digression. With this key, I will be assured even if my journey will be shifted again.

4. State your point of view in relation to the following:
a. What do you believe are strong art and/or design directions today?
I believe ecological and sustainable design issues are the most influential elements of art directions today. Not limited to the realm of art and design, it is a concept of paramount concern within every professional. With this sustainability, that is, developing design today in ways that do not compromise the needs of future generations, designers have a chance to re-establish radical significance of the future. By observing design history, there has been always the need in periods that is challenged by artists. I think that ecological and sustainable design issues the need in our era.

b. Whom do you consider as outstanding contemporary artist/designers in your field of interest?
I suppose, design should be alive in terms of its use. This way, Paul Rand (1914-1996), American graphic designer, is one of the influential artists in our age, because of his accentuation of pragmatic. 'Form follows function' is one of the key concepts of Modernism and he achieved numerous works in graphic design with strong understanding of the modern movement. Rand believed the visual communication is the integration of attractive form and practical function in order to engage audience effectively by the use of elemental, pictographic signs and mnemonic device.

Often showing inspiration of the European artist such as Klee, Kandinsky and the Cubists, Rand was well known for his playful, visually dynamic and unexpected way of design (Meggs 399)*. In cover design for American Institute Graphic Arts (AIGA) in 1972, he used his powerful elemental and pictographic signs. Another his important means is the use of mnemonic device such as stripes, circles, and contrasting forms that help viewers to remember images and messages (Carter 87)*. IBM logotype in 1981 may be the best example of it. He translates ordinary elements into extraordinary composition by emphasizing simple, geometrical forms into a functional setting to follow his belief; the visual communication is the integration of attractive form and practical function.

*Works Cited
Carter, Rob. American Typography Today. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1993: 84-87
Meggs, Philip B. A Hitory of Graphic Design. New York: Nostrand Reinhold, 1983: 399-401, 430-433

c. Evaluate your knowledge of art/design history.
I suppose nobody could tell the exact origin of design, since it has existed unconsciously for long time. However, the roots of design history start in late 19th century, that is Art Nouveau in 1860. From Art Nouveau, art movements started to grow in contemporary art. As the famous Cubist Picasso utilized letterforms as visual elements, multiple viewpoints and many more new methods, contemporary art movements-Cubism, Futurism, DADA, Surrealism, Constructivism, Art Deco, De Stijl, Bauhaus, Abstract Expressionism, Pop Art, Op Art, Computer Art, Minimalism- have their own ideas and ethics. However, they are all same in the way of reflecting needs of their era. For example, Bauhaus (1919-1933), where professional design started, is one of the leading art movements that affect strongly to design history. Their functional, structural, and geometrical designs are suitable for the mass production, which was indispensable in that period. In my opinion, to know design history is foremost essential in several reasons as followings; it is a guide to produce new ideas and to solve the problems, a standard of assessment how close my work is to good design, a source of better design. Finally, by understanding the past, it tells you what a designer should follow in present.
My journey seems so peaceful, my ship moving forward, the sea so still, and I seated myself there to take delight in surroundings.

However, no one can predict the future, and that includes me.

As an international student, I had hard time paying off the tuition since my country started to struggle in economic crisis, either my family did.

Every moment I spent there reminded me of the thrills that I had when I first started studying design back in ( ).

In a graduate program in graphic design at ( ) University, I look forward to gaining the keys to unlock doors of opportunity on my journey; to explore graphic design with profound ethics and values; indeed I can have a chance to re-design the future ...

Not limited to the realm of art and design, it is a concept of paramount concern within every profession .

Finally, by understanding the past, a designer can intuit the correct path to follow in present.

Not too many errors! Good luck; I think graphic design is a great art form!!
OP misalike 2 / 1  
Dear Kevin

Thank you very much for your kind review!
but, I was wondering if my essay is too long, do you think is it ok?

Other than errors you corrected for me, is my essay OK in terms of the structure and overall?

Thank you very much again for your great help!! :)
It certainly is unique and interesting. If you can say more with fewer words and make it shorter it will be more powerful, but that is true for all writing -- not just your essay.

Every time you revise it, it will improve! I think the essay is okay other than those errors, but sometimes I miss things!!! Have people check it over carefully in real life as well as EssayForum.

:)

kevin

Home / Graduate / Review my SOP-MFA (my peaceful journey)