Review Personal Statement for Data Science Masters

Alatif56 1 / -  

the University of Wisconsin Data Science program opportunities

Please provide a statement of up to 1,000 words of personal intent describing your decision to pursue this degree and what you believe you will bring to the Data Science field.

After recently graduating in May of 2019 from The Ohio State University, I decided that attending medical school wasn't the right path for me at this moment in my career. I have always had an interest in technology and its progressive advancements in various fields. During my senior year of university, I took an intro to a statistics course, which I excelled in, and sparked my initial interest in data analysis. After that course, I began researching more about data analysis and came across the field of Data Science. I am currently fortifying my knowledge on Data Science through online courses with R from Harvard University by edX. Other relevant courses that I have taken consist of calculus and a neuroscience research course that dealt with interpreting data.

Although I have very basic experience in dealing with programming and analytics, I am committed to pursuing this degree with the support of my strong abilities and skills. I have a passion for helping and I believe I can express this passion with data science by facilitating complex information to clients. During my time at the Noor Community Clinic as an administrative volunteer, I was able to learn how to organize patient data by using online charts and collect patient information. When I was working as a research assistant for my university, I had the opportunity of categorizing and labeling research reports for various principal investigators.

While learning more about Data Science, I noticed there is an important connection of implementing data science solutions to medicine and healthcare. Some examples that intrigued me were data science applications used in medical imaging and predictive medicine. These applications, which I would like to work with in the future, can be used to specifically extract data, improve image qualities and suggest better treatment solutions. Data science also provides virtual assistance and customer support for medical patients. This approach promotes a healthy lifestyle by saving time waiting in appointments, encouraging patients to make healthy choices and allows doctors to focus on more critical cases.

I am excited about the opportunities offered by the Data Science program at the University of Wisconsin that will help me acquire the essential skills to establish myself in the field of data science. After graduating from the University of Wisconsin, I hope to work as a Data Scientist, preferably in the healthcare industry where I can work on designing experiments, interpreting data and inferring conclusions. I am confident that the curriculum, online course structure and real-world approach during the Data Science program offered at the University of Wisconsin will serve as a critical role in my life, both as a professional and as a student.
If we are to consider only the relevant parts of your writing that respond to the prompt requirements, we will see that there are only 2 usable paragraphs in this essay. These are:

- I am excited about the opportunities offered by the Data Science program ...interpreting data and inferring conclusions.
- During my senior year of university, I took an intro to a statistics course... came across the field of Data Science.

The personal statement is used to explain the development of your interest in a particular course. As such, you should take great care and have a keen interest in laying out the foundation that you have which can help you complete the course. The best way to redevelop this essay is to focus on the 2 sections I mentioned above. The first part, will need extra information in relation to how your ambition relates to your motivation to study the course. The second, explains your academic foundation in relation to your senior year courses. The third and final paragraph, should better explain your personal reasons for choosing the university. Your explanation right now does not show what personal considerations you had in choosing a school that this particular university passed.

Home / Graduate / Review Personal Statement for Data Science Masters