Science&Technology, Statement of Purpose (EE.PHD)

Echo8816 1 / -  
My first PS. I would appreciate some help with my PS. Sorry for my terrible English. Thanks~
---------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------

Honestly, in junior middle school I was not certain what to do in the future. However, I did feel proud of my excellent exam results of my scientific courses, especially physics. And the joy in the process of solving scientific problems made me more and more interested in science and technology. Blessed with my academic potency and driven by the intense interest in science and technology, I chose and was selected by XXX University of Science&Technology, (less than 1% students in china could have opportunities to enter this kind of famous universities ), and majored in optoelectronics. I desire to become an expert who can make contribution to the development of science&technology, which is continuously sculpturing our modern world. That is why I appreciate the opportunity of working as a PHD candidate in XXX University.

My undergraduate study in XXX University of Science&Technology did not go perfectly well. In the second semester, my academic rank in my major dropped from 1st to 20th, which depressed me so much. However, thanks to my persistence and correct analysis of the reason, I catch up and continuously ranked NO.1 in my major in the last 4 semesters in XXX. Because of my outstanding academic performance, I was selected to study in the Physics Department in University of Paris-XXX(a top French research university and be famous especially for physics). Just like what represented by my tilted upward life curve I drew in a psychology class, I believe that I can overcome all the obstacles and keep being optimistic.

During my study in China, I worked with Professor L in XXX National Laboratory for Optoelectronics on the microscopic imaging technology using the Photonic Crystal Fiber. I have learned how to carry out an entire experiment and analyze the results using suitable theory. I have also worked with Professor B in Laboratory XXX, which is famous for nanofabrication. This research work is about nanolithography assistant by UV. And with the help of my two professors and the colleagues in the clean room, I not only grasped the whole technique but also successfully improved the flexible nanomold fabrication step. With the enthusiasm for research work, I luckily got the opportunity to work with Professor JC (Royal Society University Research Fellow) in C Laboratory, University of C on Dye-sensitized solar cells (DSSC). During this research work, I improved DSSC fabrication process , made many batches of solar cells with different dyes, tested their efficiency and tried to find the structures which benefit the DSSC most.

Four years of undergraduate studies not only had me well trained in a wide range of disciplines, but also gave the opportunity to develop me interests. I worked as the broadcaster of the campus radio for two years. I really enjoy sharing opinion with others by the radiowave. Even now I don't work for the campus radio any more, I like recording some small pieces and upload on the Internet to share with my friends.
lina927 1 / 11  
Hey, if you are applying for a PhD, I do not think this is a good SOP. You need to write about what you want to do at the university you are applying and why (for answering this why, you could use the achievements you have written above). Also what do you want to do once you have a PhD.

All the best.
That is why I appreciate the opportunity of to work as a PHD candidate in XXX University.

However, thanks to my persistence and correct analysis of the reason, I caught up and continuously ranked NO.1 in my major in the last 4 semesters in XXX.----Ha hahahah, congratulations! That is a great accomplishment. I think it is a great accomplishment to mention in this essay.

Your English is not bad!!! I'll just make some suggestsions...like the word various!
...batches of solar cells with different various dyes, tested their efficiency and tried to find the structures which benefit the DSSC most.

Even now I don't work for the campus radio any more, I like recording some small pieces and upload on the Internet to share with my friends.------This is such a strange way to end the essay! I want you to talk more about your PURPOSE! I want you to talk about the way you will use your talent in the next 2 years, as you learn and earn your degree, and also in the next 10 years, as you make SPECIFIC contributions in your field.

Home / Graduate / Science&Technology, Statement of Purpose (EE.PHD)