'to do something you enjoy' - Physical Therapy Essay

zriggio 1 / -  
Which personal characteristics and motivating factors have led you to pursue the profession of physical therapy?

There are many factors that have led to the pursuit of my physical therapy career. From an early age I have had a tremendous desire to learn how the human body functions. I first encountered the awesome nature/healing power of physical therapy when was a patient at 16, in order to recover and heal correctly after I tore muscles in my lower back playing basketball. Little did I know that this along with other factors would help to frame a crystal clear picture of my entire career path.

I began to appreciate physical fitness starting in my early years of high school. This interest in fitness drove even my earliest choices of career. After high school I began working at Powerhouse gym, during the first year I observed personal trainers work with many clients to help them reach their goals and aspirations. After witnessing their knowledgeable prowess of the way in which the human body worked along with the emotions that accompanied those driving them, I knew I wanted to become a personal trainer. So I took my first solid step towards my physical therapy career learning the anatomy and correct mechanics of the human body. This new found knowledge opened up a whole new world for me in which I could see things that were not there before such as: bad posture, incorrect form, potential for injury, over exertion of muscles, muscle imbalance, and physical limitations. Being able to observe these errors in the daily exercise routines of members allowed me to easily correct them. I was given the power to prevent injury but also the ability to help and drive clients towards their specific goals. I love the way I was able to help change people's lives for the better. It was at this time I realized how great of a capacity for motivating and helping others was innate in my very being.

Albert Pike once wrote, "What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal." I believe this sort of altruistic nature is a fundamental prerequisite to becoming a reputable physical therapist. I also believe that it requires many of the attributes I obtained working with clients as a personal trainer including patients, excellent listening skills, and having the ability to adapt to multiple situations.

In my physical therapy internship during my enrollment at SUNY Oneonta I discerned that physical therapy also requires a group effort. Dr. Mark Misiewicz my on-site coordinator and many of the other physical therapist I observed found it extremely helpful to bounce ideas off other each other in order to better evaluate their patients. Mark and the other physical therapists were extremely fascinating to watch work, welcomed my input and questions, and also allowed me to physically interact with patients in their recovery process.

I believe it is important to do something you enjoy, for me it is physical therapy. I know this because the hours I spent at the clinic flew by like minutes and my curiosity only grew as continued to observe and interact with patients of all ages and ailments. I believe that physical therapy is meant to be my life's work, continually learning and growing as a person and doctor in order to meet the needs of my patients.
Hayleyy5 1 / 2  
I really enjoyed your essay for this is also a field of study that i wanted to get involved in.
You made it to be really interesting and gave me a real perspective from doing the job.

Home / Graduate / 'to do something you enjoy' - Physical Therapy Essay