SOP Graduate Admission Essay | Mass Comm; Social Media | first draft

wardamnkim 1 / -  
Hi there! This is my first attempt at writing a statement of purpose for grad school admission. Any feedback would be amazing and truly appreciated. Applications are due by November, but the earlier I get in my application the better. Thanks in advance for your help!!

WORD COUNT: 770

Statement of Purpose

Master of Arts in Mass Communication specializing in Social Media

Ever since I was little I have had a passion for the event industry and since graduating from XXX University, I have been lucky enough to be able to have a job that I love and challenges me to find new and exciting ways to develop and bring creative events to completion.

While my career in events has been more hands on base, my education at XXX University was theory based and prepared me in a variety of ways so I had options after receiving my bachelor's degree in Public Relations with a concentration in Marketing. The university and my professors taught me to think outside the box and plan for all variables life could throw my way. In addition, it prepared me and gave me the option to either start my career or continue my education. I loved all the different things I learned during my time at XXX, but what I enjoyed most was the snippets of social media lessons we received in all courses. If I was able to major in social media as an undergraduate I would of. While I initially decided to start my career I have decided that would I like the opportunity to continue my education and I feel that I have the necessary skills to excel at your university in the social media program.

In recent years I have noticed the event industry is shifting from extremely large and extravagant celebrations to more intimate experiential events. It has become increasing apparent that in recent years clients would rather spend their money on a tangible / measurable event that is small but has far reach than a large party. The reason? They are concern that the message and branding will get lost among the attendees. Clients want their events to incorporate compelling content, measurable effectiveness and have a maximum impact in delivering their message. One of the main ways they are accomplishing this is by using social media like as Facebook Live to cast a panel at an intimate venue so thousands of people can see it, blogging to get attendees excited about their installation or booth at the large conference and having social media teams monitoring Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to answer any questions or concerns attendees have during the conference.

In the social media and event industry you need to be able to think big and deliver out of the box concepts to your client. Concepts can be a variety of options, but in the event industry these usually include décor, entertainment and branding. These concepts will do the work of spreading the message and allow the event to communicate the story, brand or message to the attendees. In addition, our clients want the attendees to be able to engage in the event and learn more about the company, product or newest technology being released to the public. This could be having the company's latest technology onsite for attendees to try out, having a photo booth with their hashtag or tracking attendee movements throughout the conference to see what booths they visited. Furthermore, clients want to have measurably proof that the event made an impact. Our clients want to make sure that the curated message reached the attendees and that they will have a return on the investment (cost of event). They can do this by tracking purchases made post event with the emails from the attendees list, pulling data from the hashtags used during the event and I am sure in many other ways that I can't even imagine. The possibilities are becoming more innovative and endless.

I feel the program at University of XXX is the best for me and my career, and having a Master of Art in Mass Communication specializing in Social Media will prepare me to be able to be serve my clients and take my career to a higher level of service while helping to bring to life innovative experiential marketing events that incorporate social media. The core concepts of the program is what most attracted me most to XXX, and I realized that the core concepts are part of the building blocks you need to make a successful event. I feel they align directly to my profession and learning more about the social media industry at your university will aid me to be better able to serve my client, elevate my career and profession and make me successful. I know your institution is the best avenue for my formation and I hope that you will give me the honor of continuing my studies at your university and helping me develop new skills.
Maria - / 1,098 389  
@wardamnkim
Hi there! Welcome to the forum. I'm glad that you've found us - and we're more than happy to assist you in writing. I hope you find this to be useful for your admissions.

I commend how you began your essay. The beginning portion is nicely put-together, enabling the readers to have an enthusiastic glimpse of what to look forward to. It also encapsulated a bit of your personal image. This would truly assist readers in comprehending you as an applicant.

In your second paragraph, I suggest working with smaller chunks of your text. From the very beginning from this forward, you had lengthy sentences that do not positively contribute to those who are reading this content. You have to integrate easier to digest techniques. When writing, try your best to compress all of the information to ensure that you're delivering with clarity. Take a look at your second paragraph. You began mumbling in some portions because of the lack of delivery.

Home / Graduate / SOP Graduate Admission Essay | Mass Comm; Social Media | first draft