SOP for MS in Communication ; University of Utah

kishorbhandari 1 / 7 4  
I am planning for ms in Communication for fall 2014.Please review my SOP and gibe your valuable suggestions.

I am applying to University of XXX for admission to M.S in Electrical and Computer Engineering with emphasis on Communication. I am interested in LTE Networks with particular interest in its OFDM - MIMO system and Security of the Wireless Networks.

Ever since I remember, the ability to establish contact and communicate across the globe through the electronic equipment has never ceased to fascinate me. The technology that can connect and link people's lives and works in spite of the physical boundaries and distances has always amazed me. This has led me to pursue my bachelor degree in Electronics and Communication Engineering. My innate curiosity and deep love of technology coupled with the knowledge of communication theory subjects during undergraduate class has made me interested towards wireless communication. In spite of the technological advances, the need to provide energy efficient, secure communication and maintaining high mobility is constant challenge. The emerging multimedia services require increased transmission rate and enhanced bandwidth efficiency along with low latency. With its ever increasing presence wireless communication needs a lot of innovation and research to meet these future requirements. Thus to get specialized academic exposure and research oriented studies needed to be an important part of research and development in wireless communication, I would like to attend graduate school.

I have performed consistently excellent in my academic career. My excellent performance in class 10 got me enrolled in Caribbean College, one of the reputed science colleges in Nepal, with full scholarships for two years. Further I was awarded the Mahatma Gandhi scholarship by the Embassy of India, Kathmandu due to my strong academics. During my high school I developed keen interest in Mathematics and Physics. My particular interest in physics brought me the highest marks in physics in my college for grade 11 and 12.

Through the national level entrance examination I was able to secure "Nepal Aid Fund scholarship" for four years sponsored by Ministry of External Affairs (Govt. of India) to study my Bachelor's Degree at SV-NIT, Surat: approved by Govt. of India as Institute of National Importance. My undergraduate program has given me a strong foundation in the fundamentals of communications theory with classes like Digital Signal Processing, Analog and Digital Communication and Computer and Communication Networks. To learn more than what was being offered in school, I took as electives Control systems, Multimedia Communication Technology, Information Theory and Coding and Wireless Communication. My growing interest in the Wireless communication is reflected in my grades of subjects like Cellular Technology and Wireless Communication.

In tune with my interest in Wireless Communication, I presented the Seminar entitled "Security issues in 4G networks " where, I dealt with the security architecture of the LTE and WIMAX networks, their physical layer vulnerabilities like interference and scrambling and MAC layer vulnerabilities like DoS attacks. This helped me to delve deeper into the 4G networks and understand them better.

During my undergraduate project entitled "Performance analysis of physical layer of LTE using SystemVue", our group implemented the OFDM and the LTE networks in the Agilent System Vue. We have implemented MIMO and SISO schemes of LTE and measured Throughput and BER under different Modulation Schemes. This project not only provided me the theoretical knowledge of LTE networks but also the Performance evaluation under varying conditions provided me with the understanding of working of the LTE Networks. This project along with augmenting the knowledge increased my interest in the subject and helped me understand the dedication needed towards the research.

Similarly , in an 2 weeks long internship in "Satellite Communication System " at Sagarmatha Satellite Earth station, Nepal and 2 weeks long visit at Tribhuvan International Airport (TIA) which included familiarization and observation of Communication, Navigation and Security Equipment of TIA, Nepal , I learned how the electronics systems are actually used for the purpose of the communication.

My long term goal is to be a professor and researcher in the field of wireless communication in my home country Nepal. To pursue this goal, I think my M.S degree will be a valuable milestone and will ultimately lead me towards my PhD. Communication being the infrastructure of development has lot to offer for the least developed countries like Nepal. So after returning to my country, I plan to work as a professor and researcher. I plan to establish excellent research facilities for the wireless communication in my own country.

University of XXX has very good program in communication. Besides, it has a reputation as a research oriented University. I was also amazed with the number of start-ups launched from Electrical and Computer Engineering department. With its qualified faculties and the well-equipped labs, it would be an ideal place for me to pursue graduate studies. Upon visiting the department website, I found the research interests of Prof YYY and Prof ZZZ with mine. Prof XXX has research interest in underwater acoustic communication, MIMO and Cognitive radios. Similarly, Prof ZZZ has interests in Markov chain Monte Carlo algorithms, and MIMO-OFDM systems. I would like to work with these professors in pursuing my research and graduate studies.

Being the student of one of the least developed countries, it would be really difficult for me to bear tuition and living cost of the university. So considering my genuine academic interest I request for a scholarship and any other financial assistance to help me overcome the financial barrier.

I am fully aware of my responsibilities as a graduate student and pledge to offer my hard-work and dedication towards the research and I am confident that with my motivation and the technical ability I would contribute my bit to the university and the field that I am interested.
bar08 1 / 2 1  
My long term goal is to be researcher
****to become a researcher
Its better not to say this ***So until this time, I have been able to continue my studies due to scholarship provided to me. So I expect to get some funding or assistantship to be able to attend the university due to my difficult financial situation.***

Always present explanation of abbreviations .like MIMO (what it is in full form)

Other than this you presented good.
SreeSam 12 / 38 7  
However, the need to provide energy efficient and secure communication and maintaining high mobility is constant challenge.

- However, the need to provide energy efficient , secure communication and maintaining high mobility is a constant challenge.

Thus, I want to attend graduate school and gain skills and knowledge to be an important part of research and development in this field.

- Thus, I want to attend graduate school to gain knowledge and also to be an important part of the research and development department in this field.

Besides, it has a reputation for research oriented University.

Besides, it has a good reputation for research oriented Studies.

I was also amazed with the number of start-up launched from this department.

I was also amazed with the number of start-up programs launched from this department.

With its qualified faculties and the well-equipped labs, it would be ideal place for me to pursue graduate studies

- With its qualified faculties and the well-equipped labs, it would be an ideal place for me to pursue graduate studies

Apart from these few mistakes, you have written very well !!!! All the best for your studies !!!
vipuljaveri - / 1  
Hi Kishor. Did you got any admits?

Home / Graduate / SOP for MS in Communication ; University of Utah