SOP for MS in Comp Science(Software Engineering)

rockingnishi 1 / -  
Statement of Purpose

I am an Assistant Systems Engineer with Tata Consultancy Services (TCS). TCS is well reputed and is Asia's largest Information Technology provider. My role and experience at TCS as a Software Developer has triggered interest in me to pursue my Postgraduation in software engineering and delve further into areas like Software Development models, Design Patterns, Requirements Engineering.

At TCS I indulged myself in the development of window and web based applications by interacting with clients and gathering their requirements and specifications. I was involved in 'Clinical Guidance Exchange (CgX)' project in Microsoft Silverlight Technology. Currently, I am a part of the team working on 'Guidance Care Portal (GCP)' project for the Customer Service System of a major Health Insurance Provider in the United States. I play a pivotal role in developing an application using WPF and WCF technologies and the enhanced versions of it are released every quarter of the year after undertaking rigorous system and unit testing. Due to the Scrum-Agile methodology followed in the software development process, I had the opportunity to learn how to gainfully meet the challenges posed by the changing customer requirements, and adaptive planning required in satisfying the customers by meeting their specifications.

My tenure at TCS has helped me hone my programming skills on real-life problems and modelled me into an efficient team player. I can confidently say that the experience also helped me discover my leadership skills which I presented in assisting many new comers who joined the project with little or no knowledge about the technology.

The Vellore Institute of Technology's Bachelors program in Information Technology exposed me to a wide range of subjects including Data Structures, C++, JAVA, Theory of Computation, Internet Technologies, and Software Engineering. My dedication and hard work enabled me to score a consistently good scholastic record to date. With the knowledge gained through my courses, I worked on a project titled 'Content Based Image Retrieval'. I was successful in achieving the project objective of developing a search mechanism that retrieves images from a repository, which have similar content to that of the input image given as search criteria.

Later on, under the guidance of my professor Mr V.R Raghuveer, I undertook research in the procedure and shortcomings of existing Bayesian approach for spam filtering. Based on the facts obtained, I could fruitfully complete my final semester project titled 'Bayesian Anti-Spam Filtering Technique using keyword context Approach' using the Bayesian Probability Theory, and basic concepts of Java for UI. The approach taken in the project was to continuously train the filters with spam and ham data and then calculate the 'Spamicity' defined as the probability that the mail is a spam, based on the probabilities of the individual keywords and also the context in which those keywords occur in a spam and a ham. This approach helps reduce false negatives and thereby improves the efficiency of the classification of the mails. Working in these projects has given me great motivation and immense confidence to develop and program applications at a higher level and increased my command over the concepts.

I also had an opportunity to acquire practical knowledge in technologies like HTML and Java Script and to get a hands-on experience in the development of web-pages through my internship at State Government's National Informatics Centre (N.I.C) at Hyderabad, India. During the internship, I was given a task to analyse and report the feasibility of new software, they were planning to use, for storing the digital assets. I was able to gather the requirements of the employees working there and successfully study the new software and deliver the feasibility report within a given time frame of 2 weeks. From this experience I learnt my most important lesson- Time Management and Precision.

I believe that "UNIVERSITY NAME" will play a critical role in accomplishing my future goals. Apart from an excellent faculty and avant-garde research facilities, UNIVERSITY NAME also hosts many student organizations and honour societies.In the end, I can proudly say that my four year undergraduate studies, internship and work experience have provided me with a strong foundation for further uphill journey in this field and have motivated me to pursue graduate studies in software engineering. So, I find this the most fitting time to continue my studies in Computer Science under the guidance of eminent faculty at "UNIVERSITY NAME"
My role and experience at TCS as a Software Developer has triggered an interest in me to pursue my Postgraduation in software engineering while delving further into areas like Software...

At TCS I immersed myself in the development of window and web based applications by interacting with clients and gathering their requirements and specifications.

... I had the opportunity to learn how to gainfully meet the challenges posed by the changing customer requirements, and adaptive planning that is required to satisfy the customers by meeting their specifications.

Later on, under the guidance of my professor Mr V.R Raghuveer, I undertook research in the procedure and shortcomings of the existing Bayesian approach for spam filtering.

Based on the facts obtained, I could fruitfully complete my final semester project titled 'Bayesian Anti-Spam Filtering Technique using keyword context Approach' using the Bayesian Probability Theory, and basic concepts of Java for UI.---You're so smart!!

Working on these projects has given me great motivation and immense confidence to develop and program applications at a higher level and has increased my command of the concepts.

Apart from an excellent faculty and avant-garde research facilities, UNIVERSITY NAME also hosts many student organizations and honour societies. In the end, I can proudly...

They'll be lucky to have you as a student!! Good luck with school~

:)

Home / Graduate / SOP for MS in Comp Science(Software Engineering)