Home / Graduate   % width NEW!

SOP for Contemporary and Modern Art history MA

hhhae 1 / -  
Hey Guys, Could you please help me to revise my SOP for Contemporary and Modern Art History?
It is for MA admission and im not quite familiar with writing essay in English so im bit worried.
If you give me some advices it would be really helpful for me.
Thanks for your time in advance!!

Various field of Art history colored my university life with its marvelous diversity and charms. From the classical period to contemporary art, as an art history majoring undergraduate I could have chances to take diverse courses of art history and aesthetics and with these benefits I was able to decide to continue my study in a graduate school pursuing higher academic goals. In the Hongik graduate school where I had finished the coursework in modern and contemporary art history, I found myself being attracted by rapidly changing global contemporary art scene and also fascinated by art theories and various methodologies which try to explain it with keen insights.

Since the very first time I heard of the Courtauld Institute of Art in London, I have been thinking that the Courtauld is the most honorable place where one can pursuing its academic aim to be an art historian and I made an effort into preparing myself to get ready and to build up some of the skills and knowledge that might help me to carry on my study.

Along with trainings for developing research and writing skills, I had narrowed the focus of my study to arts after 1960s in its conceptual and political aspects. Especially so-called 'Institutional Critique' artists, such as Michael Asher, Hans Haacke and their works with political theme are the main subject that I would like to conduct further in-depth study for a MA dissertation. I believe 'Aestheticising Politics? The Political in Globalised Contemporary Art' which is my first preference, is the most appropriate course considering my interest in globalised contemporary art and its theorical, political and social accounts.

Art and travel are the indispensable parts of my life and I think in many ways they are intimately linked. I have traveled some part of the world by myself and I have got to know the most amazing part of travel is not in the exotic scenery or experience rather it is in the sense which makes you feel that you are 'being' somewhere unfamiliar and gives you some thoughts and a chance to see yourself from outside as if you are not yourself. This uncanny feeling also happens when I see the arts. Some art works invite you for a glimpse of different world and help you get another point of view as well. During the long journey of life, I would like to take the Art as a subject of study with the attitude which considering everyday is a new journey to the rest of my life.

Home / Graduate / SOP for Contemporary and Modern Art history MA