Home / Graduate   % width NEW!

SOP for Master's Degree in Automotive Engineer (Interdisciplinary Program)

chanapol 1 / -  
Hello everyone!
My name is Chanapol and I'm looking forward to earn a master's degree Automotive Engineering in the US. Since English is not my native language, writing the SOP really makes my nervous and is really a daunting task for me.

I'd like to thank you everyone in advance for your help.

Please refer below for my #1st draft of SOP.

A Statement of Purpose must be included with each application. This statement should be a concise, well-written essay about your background, your career goals, and how the College of Engineering's graduate program will help you attain your career and educational objectives. Use the Upload Supporting Documents process below to upload your Statement of Purpose.

Since my childhood, I always love cars! It is very fascinating to watch different cars passing by me day and night. I always wonder how cars are designed and developed, and I dreamed that one day I can be a part of this exciting process of cars development. Following my dreams, I decided to pursue my major program in the highly competitive "Automotive Engineer" program at XXXXX University, which limits the students to only 15 per year. As I studied, my interest in cars grew further and I have decided to pursue my career path as an automotive engineer.

After graduation, I started working in XXXXXX (XXXXXX), the recently established XXXX technical center in Thailand, in the Chassis Engineering Department. I have experienced the real-world procedures of vehicle design and development of "XXXXXXX minor change model year 2011" project. My design and development responsibilities are the chassis frame for EURO5 spec and brake vacuum hose routing for 1GR engine spec. To satisfy design requirements, I have to understand part functions, design history and consider about strength, durability, cost, manufacturing method, assembling workability, and the most important one, the deadline.

Apart from design and development of new vehicles, I am also responsible for developments and improvements of current vehicle. For example, making specification changes according to marketing requests, quality improvement, making countermeasure for field technical problems, cost reduction, and product localization. One of my recent successes are making the countermeasure for chain of a spare wheel carrier stuck during winding up-down which can reduce claim cost substantially in Indonesia market.

Working in XXXXX caused me to be proactive and enthusiastic because most of the jobs are time-sensitive and usually have a tight schedule. Teamwork, communication skill, language proficiency (both Japanese and English), and negotiation skill are essential features I have learned. I communicate with people from difference in race and department, such as India, South Africa, Argentina, Indonesia, and varying from assembly division to purchasing division. My first business trip to XXXXX South Africa as the team representative has taught me the invaluable experience of facing problem solving and preparation.

The more I work, the more I realized about the continuously growing automotive industries in Thailand. Currently Thailand is one of the biggest automobile manufacturing bases in Asia-Pacific region. Some manufacturers, such as Toyota, Honda, and Nissan, have already established the technical center and plan to hand-over product design and development job to technical centers in Thailand, thus the demand for automotive engineer with strong technical knowledge about advanced vehicle technologies, such as hybrid vehicle, active suspension, will continuously rise. Fully aware of such upcoming demand, I decided to pursue for the Master of Automotive Engineering.

There are several reasons that I want to apply for the Automotive Engineer (Interdisciplinary Professional Program) at the University of Michigan. First, being the interdisciplinary program, the course itself does not provide just automotive engineering fundamental, but can expand my horizon towards manufacturing engineering, human factors, and etc. I can strengthen my engineering knowledge in a specific area while expanding breadth in other disciplines which are practical in the industry. Second, the capstone project will give me invaluable and hands-on experience about automotive industry in the US, one of most influential manufacturers in the word, which can be a good reference image for Thailand's automotive industry. Plus, tackling real-world challenges and teamwork experience will be useful for applying to future career challenges .Third, having done the senior project about vehicle simulation model, I have an interest in vehicle dynamics and vibration control and want to study further in this discipline, especially after I have read some of the researches by Professor XXXX about vehicle roll-over control and active suspension design. Last, the college of engineering in university of Michigan is considered one of the top engineering schools in the US. My senior project adviser, the UMICH alumni, also recommended me of studying here because of the quality of the education provided.

For my extracurricular activities, I worked a part-time job as a professional violinist in the Bangkok Symphony Orchestra since high school. My job gives me not only musical appreciation, but also gave me the world from different view point and also concert tour experience in many countries. I also have participated in the 2007 Thailand Student Formula Challenge. Even though my team failed and could not finished in time, I have learned a lot about engineering and team-working through this failure.

I hope that the admission committee find my academic background and my work experience in automotive industry comply with the admission requirements in Master of Automotive Engineer (Interdisciplinary Professional Program) at the university of Michigan.

Home / Graduate / SOP for Master's Degree in Automotive Engineer (Interdisciplinary Program)