SOP for masters entrance program for predictive analytics: need critique and have to shed 50 words!

luvmath1 1 / -  

landing the best place

After influencing approximately 1.980 lives and teaching my 144th month, summer had arrived. Where should I spend my vacation? Keep it within the state to minimize cost. So my husband and I set off for Ocracoke Island. We had visited it, but never stayed there. I found my ultimate happy place where the atmosphere and locals were refreshing, relaxed, and personable. After staying at a bed and breakfast, I realized my ultimate dream and goal of wanting to provide an unforgettable experience for visitors to this wonderful island. During my self-reflection, I realized that my dream goal could not come true in my current profession. So, I ventured into the internet abyss to find out how my husband could improve our financial situation to only find that I could unlock the potential myself by immersing myself into my primary passion of mathematics! I saw numerous posts for careers as a data scientist. "What is this field? I wondered. What is needed to be the best of the best? I wanted my graduate experience to set me apart from others obtaining the same degree. I googled the top universities and discovered a love for your degree program after watching the accompanying videos! "Why Northwestern?" my husband asked. First, it has been many years since I have studied mathematics on a college level. So, the offering of the mathematics course will help dust off the cobwebs in my grey orb. The ability to learn computer programming throughout my graduate journey, since I have not experienced that since high school. The exposure to different electives provides the perfect opportunity to decide the field of specialization. Northwestern faculty want the best for their students. I may ask a lot of dumb questions, but they will answer them and help me obtain my dream of landing the best place of employment and providing me a way to adopt children, live on Ocracoke Island, purchase my dream home and have a successful bed and breakfast for my husband to run. And of course, there will be an educator discount for my beloved prospective professors.
Tonya, unfortunately, you have taken the wrong approach to writing the SOP. What you have here is a personal statement that could be used for a college application. It does not contain any of the required information for a statement of purpose. A statement of purpose for a masters degree program is not a narrative essay. Rather, it is an academic and professional biography set within 500 -750 words. In that essay, you need to represent a number of important information.

The first bit of information that you have to represent is what your current career is and how this led you to this choice of masters degree studies. Tell the reviewer how your interest in this field developed professionally and then, include any reference to relevant training sessions or seminars that would show how you have prepared to take this masters degree.

After that, you can sum up your college education and how it relates to your interest in predictive analytics. Don't delve too much on your college information. Just discuss the salient points relevant to your application. Things like what your degree is, what your thesis was (if it relates), and any awards or recognition you might have won during that time.

From there, you need to outline your career plan for the immediate future. This is the part where you tell the reviewer about how you hope this masters degree can help you get ahead in your career over the next 5 years. Transition it into a paragraph that then explains why you feel that Northwestern can train you best in this line. Offer an insight into your interest into their training programs, potential internships, and whatever else might be of interest to you as an academic offering from this university.

Close the essay on a hopeful note and reiterate your excitement at the possibility of becoming a member of the student roster during the upcoming semester.

Use the above notes to revise your essay into the proper format and content. After you complete this revision, your SOP should be ready for use.

Home / Graduate / SOP for masters entrance program for predictive analytics: need critique and have to shed 50 words!