Home / Graduate % width Posts: 5

SOP for Masters of Information System Security

mesbah90 1 / 2  
Hi Everyone,
I am in the process of applying for masters in information system security. Could you please read my SOP and give me some feedback on it.

Thanks a lot for your help. I need all the support I can get to get into a good school.

Statement of Purpose - Masters of Information System Security

In 2016, Bangladesh, the country I have borne, faced one of the biggest cyber-attacks when hackers breached the security systems of Bangladesh Bank, which is the central Bank of Bangladesh and stole $101 million from the central bank account. This incident thrust Bangladesh government heavily towards building a secured "Digital Bangladesh" and encouraged to take more initiatives for further developing the IT sector in order to catch up with technologically advanced Asian countries like India, China, Malaysia, etc. However, these initiatives are facing issues such as the lack of technology transfer to all over the country due to a short of IT specialist. I strongly believe that having Master degree in Information Security Management from Concordia University of Edmonton will give me the qualities and capabilities to help overcome the technological and information security related obstacles in Bangladesh. I wish to be a proficient information security analyst and in the long-term venture into information security management consultation to help Bangladesh to stave off potential security breaches as well as help to raise information security related awareness in my country. A Master of Information Security Management from Concordia University of Edmonton would be the significant step in the achievement of my goals.

I pursued my bachelor's degree in Business Administration and my major in Accounting from Darul Ihsan University, Dhaka. During the undergraduate studies, I was always excited towards the courses such as Management Information System, Science, Technology and Environment and Application of Computer in Business. I took a keen interest in learning about the latest technologies and how those affected the business world. This fascination with technology led me to acquire experience of different programming languages. After my under graduation, I worked a couple of years as a junior accountant. During that time with my growing interest, I started learning different technologies such as HTML, JavaScript and SQL. I was determined to launch my career in information technology. Later the end of year 2015, I finally decided to build my career in IT and quit my job.

At the beginning of the year 2016, I got a wonderful opportunity to study a year-long IDB-BISEW IT Scholarship diploma program which is a joint initiative of the Government of Bangladesh and Islamic Development Bank (IDB). After completing the diploma in Database Design and Development successfully, I joined as a junior programmer in Medisys (BD) limited and later as an assistant programmer in Medical System Company Limited. While working as a programmer over the past four years, I learned a lot about RDBMS, SQL, PL/SQL, Oracle Database, JavaScript, and back-end tools such as Oracle forms 11g, Oracle reports 11g and so on. My major job responsibility was creating and managing database applications. But I was also passionate about learning network security, database security. My work experience has broadened my horizon of knowledge in the IT sector and has bolstered my confidence to pursue a career in information security instead of being a programmer.

Information security permeates all aspects of society and has become critical to industry, government, and individual well-being, especially when the Coronavirus pandemic has created new challenges for businesses as they adapt to an operating model in which working from home has become the 'new normal'. Companies are accelerating their digital transformation, and consequently information security is now a major concern. Unlike technologically advanced countries, securing vital services and structures and the availability of trustworthy information whenever and wherever it is required, has become challenging for Bangladesh. It has also broadened the job window for information security specialists. So, having a Master of Information Security Management will provide me with the knowledge and theoretical background, as well as with the requisite skills and attitudes necessary to succeed in this challenging yet important field.

I strongly believe that pursuing "Master of Information Security Management" at Concordia University of Edmonton will be a major turning point in my career and will help to prepare myself to meet the upcoming information security risks of my country. I have found your esteemed university, known for its exemplary curriculum and great student facilities, especially for international students will be the ideal place for me to chase my goals. Additionally, I am eagerly looking forward to learning and discovering new topics such as Network Security, Application and Cloud Security, Cryptology, System and Virtualization Security, etc.

To conclude, I firmly believe that Concordia University of Edmonton will mold me into a leader in IT security field as well as will guide me to fulfill my aspiration of becoming an accomplished professional in the field of information security through my exposure to the best educators and professionals in the field.
Remove the part that indicates you quit your job. It is enough to relay the information that you decided to go back to school. However, quitting your job to pursue a different career path makes you look like a quitter. It is not going to be good for your image. If you can put it in your own words, relay the sentiment that you "decided to change my career path" instead of "quit my job".

Your paragraph about why you chose to study at University of Edmonton does not tell the reviewer about any true specifics with regards to curriculum, work exposure, or technology in relation to the course you have decided to take at the university. Your statement is a blanket statement that practically says "insert university name here". It does not raise your profile as an applicant who is familiar with the course curriculum and available training programs a part of that learning schedule. Look more into the background of the course and how it applies to your future career goals and its applications in your professional setting.
Sam96 1 / 1 2  
Hi mesbah90,
My feedback after reading this is :
1. Add something more which motivated you to go into Information security field from being in Database Design field. The way you reflected the desire to change the career to IT security is abrupt and does not reflect real motivation.

2. Shorten your writing regarding business accounting course and your job as business accountant.
3. Mention your motivations to change your career path from accountant to IT technologies.
4. Mention course details and research field that you want to work in at the University you are applying in.
5. Mention any innovation done by the University researchers in IT security field or anything that motivates you to choose this specific university.

Overall it was okay, but you need to remove some less relevant things and need to add some motivations as mentioned above.

If you have any queries or need another review, you can mail me.
OP mesbah90 1 / 2  
Thank you for your valuable suggestion.
OP mesbah90 1 / 2  
1 day ago   #5
Security

thank you so much

Home / Graduate / SOP for Masters of Information System Security