SOP for MSc- Computer Science / Faculty of Engineering

ashudbng11 1 / -  
SOP for MSc - Computer Science

Hi Guys,

I am applying for MSc in Computer Science. Please review my SOP for the same.

There are innovations which keep evolving and have infinite scope of creativity and logic. The urge of computing and computational science is evergreen. After scrutinizing my interests, past training and final ambition, I have decided to pursue Masters in my field of interest, which is Computer Science.

I passed my 10th standard with 9.0 C.G.P.A. in 2012 and 12th standard with 81.6% in 2014. Pursuing my strong interest in Computers and Software has over the years enabled me to develop keen analytical and reasoning skills. Through the course of the four-year Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) degree program in Information Technology at Cochin University of Science And Technology (2014-2018), I acquired an overall perspective of this scientific discipline, with a particular interest in Data Structures and Algorithms, Operating System and Data Mining. Internetworking and Distributed Computing, were some other areas that grabbed my attention. My keen interest in the subjects translated into receiving an S grade in lab exams of Operating Systems and Object Oriented Programming and A grade in lab exams of Computer Programming, Data Structures and Computer Networks.

During initial period of Bachelor studies, I engaged to train myself in Java and Linux Administration. I also involved myself in some academic projects including a prototype of Online Examination System and an Online Discussion Portal for which I was awarded with S and A grade. I had Cloud Computing as my final year seminar topic. My final year (major) project in under-graduation was to build an automated deployment of Cloud Computing and virtualization with containerized Docker integration on Linux System using Python and provisioned by DevOps (Ansible). This infrastructure would provide cloud computing services like Storage, Infrastructure, Containers and Platform. I was awarded an S grade for this project. I secured a C.G.P.A. of 8.23 as aggregate (on a scale of 10) and was awarded the Bachelor of Technology degree in First Class with Distinction. Active involvement in projects and studies got me 8.5 CGPA in the last 2 years of my B.Tech. I secured second rank in my department for the entire coursework. Apart from this, I did a remote internship at Tata Consultancy Services to build an Ambulance Dispatch System. The system would provide information of all the ambulances available in the vicinity of the user along with information about the nearest hospitals. Users can also confirm their rides and the details of the ambulance booked would be shared with them.

I graduated from B.Tech in April, 2018 and since then, I have been working for Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) as an Assistant System Engineer (full-time). I am mapped into the project of In-Vehicle Infotainment (IVI) system for Nissan Motors, under the Engineering and Industrial Services domain of TCS. In this project, I was involved in back-end development of IVI system for Phone feature and am currently handling SiriusXM feature of IVI.

Apart from the projects undertaken in college and gaining professional work experience, it has been my desire to gain exposure to the latest trends in computer science. I have relied on online courses to teach myself Machine Learning and Deep Learning. Some of my projects based on Machine Learning are: Exploratory data analysis on Haberman dataset to predict the survival rate of a cancer patient after surgery, Classification of reviews for Amazon Fine Food Reviews data set and Detecting cancer using the Memorial Cancer Centre data set of gene data. The accuracy of the results provided by these projects were 84% and 86% respectively. I also developed a recommendation system for a clothing data set with precision of 81% and recall of 37%.

Simultaneously, active participation in a wide range of extracurricular activities has ensured the all-round development of my personality. I have participated in debate competitions and cultural activities like singing, as a step towards fulfillment of my pursuit and personality enhancement. Apart from this, I was a secretary for the anti-ragging committee and an associate member of the Information Technology Association of our university. This experience brought to the fore my leadership abilities, while also assisting in honing my social skills.

Having acquired a solid foundation in Information Technology through my bachelor's degree and my experience in the corporate sector, at this point, I feel that it is the right time to take up the Graduate studies. A Master's degree provides opportunity to choose modules of personal interest to a greater extent. On having secured the Master's degree, the immediate next future plan is to gain industrial exposure and practical approach via various internship placements. I choose Canada for this aspiration, foreseeing the professional opportunities in Computer Science and Information Technology, the reputation of the program as one of the best in the country, tranquil social environment and a country eager to welcome students from overseas.

The University of Manitoba's Master of Computer Science has been rated as one of the best computer science programs in Canada, equipped with leading Faculty of Engineering. The University has a great credit of engineering alumnus with successful careers around the globe - from academia to industry and government labs. The Master of Computer Science program offered by the University of Manitoba will undoubtedly provide me with the right knowledge, skills and experience to pursue the opportunities to the fullest extent. The practical orientation of your in-depth coursework will allow me to not only acquire a clear understanding of the subject but also inherit the skills to execute them and be ready for the challenges in professional life to encounter and solve real life problems on a large scale. I am confident that my exposure to such initiatives would augment my knowledge base and add tremendous value in enabling me to earn my career goals.

Thank you
ObedRockson 1 / 3 1  
Great essay. However, i found it very difficult to comprehend your breakdown of GPA and how you discussed the relevant courses you learnt. I recommend you restructure and cpmpartalise your essay very well with those details in one paragraph can help improve the essay.

Also, yor key interest in the university looks vague as you should be very specific in why you have a lot of interest in that programme of the university.

I found the introduction of the essay to be very week as it does not put the review in a position to find the essay very interesting. I hop this concerns when addressed will help improve your essay.

Home / Graduate / SOP for MSc- Computer Science / Faculty of Engineering