Home / Graduate   % width NEW!

Stanford AND Brown - Horrible equilibrium

foreverarianaaa 5 / 7  
Alrighty, so this was originally written for Stanford's "What matters to you, and why?" but I think I may also be able to use it for Brown's "Why are you going to college?" (both have 2000 character limits) Any help with that possibility (and maybe the final sentence) would be amazing. Thanks!

What matters to you, and why? (2000 character limit)

My equilibrium has been ruined ever since I spun myself too much on desk chairs for fun as a child. Today, merely turning 180 degrees makes me feel woozy and momentarily incapacitated.

Growing up, my life felt chaotic and contradictory. While I despised my parents for their strict parenting, the sense of safety they gave me was comforting. Catch-22s invaded my life and I was unsure what to think. In retrospect, this chaos was in fact the definition of balance itself. Contradictions are the means of coping with the negative and positive aspects of life; when added together, these elements yield an almost perfect balance.

Whether it's in regards to friends, education, or even the food I eat, I'm always trying to find a harmony. Balance is imperative in my search for happiness because it gives a structure to my world. No matter how tasty, I'm not going to eat only Taco Bell for the rest of my life because it's necessary to have a balanced diet in order to be healthy. Likewise, I'm not going to do homework all day after school because it's detrimental to have no interpersonal relationships. A group of supportive friends is just as beneficial as school work, but its advantages are manifested in a different way. In striving for a perfect life, varying aspects need to be comparable, a notion essential for stability.

It's with these sentiments that I will enter college: with the primary goal of creating a balance not only in my life, but also in that of others and the world in its entirety. I will discover the passions that will saturate my mind throughout the rest of my life as I advance in my studies. I hope to introduce others to my interests and their evolution, gifting them with a perspective that would otherwise pass unnoticed. I aspire to bring the world a sense of balance vicariously through the harmony that I aim for in my own life.

Although the steadiness of my inner ear is horrible at best, it would be mistaken to say that I don't value balance.

Home / Graduate / Stanford AND Brown - Horrible equilibrium