Personal statement for admission to Columbia University

Ssakshijain 28 / 146 87  
This is of 467 words:) Word limit is 500. Thank you for every feedback. This is for admission to MPH program.

Why you are interested in Public health program and what interests you in the specified department?

My education of dental surgery program and subsequent dental practice has guided me to pursue MPH. This was my first exposure to the fact that dentists had a hand in general healthcare as well. A dentist is tasked to look for general diseases in order to help people develop their dental hygiene. That was when I came to understand that I played a major role in preventing oral disease and promoting public health. In India, dental treatment is costly, has a weak governmental policy and does not have many active volunteer agencies. As a consequence dental checkups are mostly reactive than preventive and marginalized people are left to fend for themselves. A dentist only treats those who come to them whereas public health organizations and workers serve the community on enhancing preventive measures along with dental education thereby improving overall dental health at the first place. Pursuing Masters of Public Health is my first step towards my goal to become an asset for renowned health organizations like WHO, UNESCO to champion the dental health policies and strategies. As a dental surgeon, I came to learn about the basic oral epidemiology of a community by calculating indices for caries and periodontal diseases. I had to learn how to diagnose pre-cancerous and cancerous lesions and the effects of poor oral habits such as tobacco or alcohol consumption. I expect my MPH to help enlighten me about the broader aspect of epidemiology by bolstering my knowledge in the event of a major outbreak of oral ailments prevailing in India and how can I make a change in Indian system.

What intrigues me more is how we can promote oral health in community apart from providing basic education on dental hygiene maintenance? What type of dental policies can we make to make especially the population at high risk live healthier? What type of diseases affect the population and which areas are mostly affected? I want to cement my education with degree and certification from a renowned institution like Mailman School Of Public Health. While taking the course I will expand my knowledge and experience in relation to global health issues that are focused on issues like poverty reduction, maternal health, prevention of neonatal and child mortality, infectious diseases, environmental sanitation, and access to safe drinking water, and rising rates of chronic diseases.These issues are present in most of the developing nations including India and a global health certificate program will prime me to participate in actions working for these causes. I believe your prestigious institute will equip me with the required skills and training to help me to bolster my efforts to make oral and general health a priority in India healthcare by doing research and promoting knowledge about necessary oral healthcare.
brayan1996 17 / 34 5  
Hi, I tried to edit your essay. Below you may find some constructive feedback on some of the things I would leave out if I were the one writing this essay.

My education of dental surgery program and subsequent dental practice has led me to pursue MPH.

What intrigues me most is .... Remove the question mark.
dakey96 2 / 2  
Correct this sentence in your last sentence of your first paragraph. "....prevailing India and how can I make a..." to "....prevailing India and how I can make a...."

Home / Graduate / Personal statement for admission to Columbia University