PERSONAL STATEMENT FOR CHINAMANO ELWIN TINASHE-

etchinamano 2 / 2  
please reveiw before I submit. Will be happy if I get opinions of those who graduated with LUMES programme from Lund University

I would like to introduce my candidacy for the LUMES postgraduate studies. These studies will help me to further develop my knowledge, improve my skills and to help me continue with my environmental research activities. It will assist me in the design of novel solutions for curbing environmental degradation and promote sustainable use of our environment. This research is my passion and my life's work, because I am confident that it is a noble cause.

I took a degree of Bachelor of Environmental Science Honours Degree in 2006 from the Faculty of Agriculture and Environmental Science at Bindura University of Science Education in Zimbabwe. During my studies and in high school I participated in many national competitions in problem solving, in mathematics, and chemistry and at one time represented my school in Harare Region Schools Olympiad competitions.

My undergraduate studies mainly focused on the basic and advanced knowledge of the principles of environmental management and sustainable development. I am particularly interested in the research related to the application of environmental management principles in attaining developmental goals at grassroots and national level. I have therefore endeavoured to upgrade my education this field.

In applying to this programme, I was fascinated by your country and its culture and way of life. I was very attracted to the research possibilities, pleasant working atmosphere and people's kindness. Encouraged by this, I decided to enter the LUMES programme at your university.

I am aware that my knowledge is still limited in many areas. I hope that through these MSc studies I will have the opportunity to increase my knowledge to a higher standard. My plan is to engage in full time research activities and experimental work, which will hopefully result in the solving of some well known environmental problems as well as introducing innovations that will lead toward the integration of environmental management in the planning of developmental activities.

I addition to my academic activities, I have experienced as an Environmental and Quality Officer and Regional Safety Health and Environmental Officer in a petrochemical and energy industries respectively. This helped me to develop a strong analytical mind and interpersonal skills. Moreover, I learned the value of teamwork and become more solution oriented, adapting to a constantly changing work environment while maintaining good working relationships with individuals of different cultural backgrounds. My good public relations is also my strong characteristic.

In regard to my extracurricular activities, I enjoy giving service to community, travelling and following sport in general. I also participated in different voluntary programmes for charity organisations i.e. 2003-2006 Peer HIV/AIDS Educator Shape Zimbabwe, Projects Officer Environmental Action Support Youth (EASY)

I understand that admission to LUMES programme is competitive, but I am confident that I am qualified, eager and prepared to meet all of its challenges.

I would be most grateful if you could give my application your most favourable consideration. I undertake to come back to Zimbabwe on completing the programme and work for the development of my country.

Yours truly,

CHINAMANO ELWIN TINASHE
My first thoughts are that this is a bit bland. You speak in very vague, general terms, which isn't very interesting. Try to give specific examples that demonstrate your points. Instead of saying "I learned the value of teamwork and become more solution oriented, adapting to a constantly changing work environment while maintaining good working relationships with individuals of different cultural backgrounds," give an example of one way in which you adapted and became solution-oriented. In other words, tell the reader about a specific solution you implemented. Do the same thing for your other points, and you'll have a much stronger paper.
OP etchinamano 2 / 2  
thank you for your comments. will certainly consider them in the final document. any other areas you feel i should make changes.
Just more of the same sort of thing I mentioned before. So, "My plan is to engage in full time research activities and experimental work, which will hopefully result in the solving of some well known environmental problems as well as introducing innovations that will lead toward the integration of environmental management in the planning of developmental activities." Researching what, exactly? Solving which environmental problems? What sort of innovations?

Home / Graduate / PERSONAL STATEMENT FOR CHINAMANO ELWIN TINASHE-