statement of purpose-development studies

hknamakula 1 / -  
Please help me with my essay below. I am international student trying to apply for a Masters in development studies

My aim to pursue a Master's degree in Development Studies is fueled by my desire to better myself academically, improve on my career prospects and contribute to development globally. Like any developing country, Uganda is overwhelmed by socio-economic problems such as poverty, under-distribution of resources, which affects its development. The Master of Science in Development Studies will enable me to contribute to my country because of its interdisciplinary approach. The program will develop my understanding of the theory and strategies used to address developmental issues and to learn how these have been applied in real-life case studies effectively.

In particular, I like the program because of its focus on developmental problems such as poverty, population growth; undistribution of resources, food production, issues dealing with gender inequalities, ethnicity and class. These are some of the challenges that are currently affecting developing countries especially in Africa. In addition, the program will broadly develop and improve my understanding of the contemporary issues affecting not only developing countries but also developed countries worldwide. Academically the degree will provide me with problem solving skills, managerial skills, and critical analysis skills that are relevant to tackling development and sustainability of any nature. Alongside that, it will also offer a solid grounding in research in development studies and enhance my understanding of the field.

My reason for applying to Lund University is that it is an international centre for research and education with a time-honoured history. The faculty of Social sciences in this university is quite prominent among its counterparts in the field. I am particularly attracted by the School's powerful pedagogical resource, vibrant intellectual atmosphere and a comprehensive curriculum. It is also an opportunity to meet different people from all walks of life, gain deep-rooted knowledge of other people's cultures, their way of life, and help me to appreciate my own. It will enable me to know and understand how other people view issues of development in their countries. My interest is to gain the capacity to carry out research and understand the extent to which various factors are affecting people at a grassroots level.

My ultimate goal is to earn a PhD in the field of development Studies. In terms of my career, attaining this master's degree will enable me to gain employment at a higher level in my chosen field. On completion of my Master's degree, I hope to continue with my studies or in Ugandan or Non-governmental organizations. I would also like to work in research centres and other educational institutions dealing with developmental agendas of these issues mentioned above. I have no doubt that development studies at Lund University will meet the criteria of intellectual rigor that I have set for myself, for my education, and for those I have promised to serve.
This last sentence... "My interest is to gain the capacity to carry out research and understand the extent to which various factors are affecting people at a grassroots level"... perhaps you should move it to another place in the essay. There are a number of places it would fit better than at the end, here. End with this awesome sentence:

I have no doubt that development studies at Lund University will meet the criteria of intellectual rigor that I have set for myself, for my education, and for those I have promised to serve.

That is a powerful sentence!!

Home / Graduate / statement of purpose-development studies