Statement of purpose for MS in electrical engineering in USA, the field of VLSI designing technology

utsi 4 / 7 2  

dreams of working as a researcher

Working as a website designer in recently introduced Habre Technology inaugurated by our team members, I would like to return to my academic career and continue my graduate study in electrical engineering especially in VLSI design in Wright State University.

My interest arose in hardware and software field since I was in class 8. We had to study a computer science book from class 6. Till the beginning of class 7, I didn't have proper concept about the computer system. Then slowly, I started grabbing the concept about computer system. I was surprised by the dramatic change in the shape and size of the computer due to the introduction of transistors and then integrated circuits. Similarly, the reduction of power consumption and the increase in the speed of the computer due to the introduction of VLSI technology fascinated me a lot. Then I pursue the electronics and communication engineering as a base point to reach my destination. As designing and fabricating the robust electronic devices is an enduring process, I showed my great interest in the area of VLSI design.

Since my childhood I was a haughty person. As years rolled by, my passion in science to undertake physics as my major from the reputed intermediate institution, St. Xavier's College in Nepal, came into reality when I was selected among 6000 competitors through entrance examination . After the fruitful completion of the high school, I knew I had to get into Engineering institution in my graduate studies and, possibly, in the best Engineering institution in the country. But getting into a prestigious institution is itself a challenge for me, and through 2-3 months of persistent preparation, I stood in 365th rank among some 14000 students in the highly competitive entrance examination and got admitted in Pulchowk Campus, a reputed Engineering campus in Nepal. This excellent endeavour brought me a partial funded government scholarship to study Engineering on the merit basis.

I chose Electronics and Communication as my major in Engineering. Among some 4-5 dozens subjects I studied, Digital Logic, Discrete mathematics, Embedded systems, Microprocessor and filter design were the most intriguing subjects to me. The well-equipped laboratories at Pulchowk Campus also provided me with deep insights at the principles of how electronic devices do at a fundamental level. I enjoyed in solving and teaching Boolean expressions using K-maps, designing the sequential as well as combinational logic circuits. All these subjects augmented my curiosity regarding the niche of VLSI design.

From the invention of the Bipolar Transistor by Shockley in 1949 to the latest 10nm Fab sites at Intel, the U.S.A has always been a epicentre for innovation in semiconductor and ASIC technology as the U.S.A is being a pioneer in research and development. For a student like me wanting to pursue a graduate degree in Engineering, there would hardly be a better option than an American university. The department of Electrical Engineering at WSU has a reputation of having good research facilities for Electrical Engineering student to specialize in the field of VLSI design.

I am confident that WSU is the right school for me and it is all my dreams of working as a researcher in the field of VLSI designing technology and implementation of my findings in the innovation of fast, cheap and reliable electronic devices is my professional goal which will come to fruition. I aspire to be a part of this institution and make some difference. I am equally confident with my hard work and my aspirations to be able to succeed in my graduate studies.
Utsav, there is too much unnecessary information located within your statement of purpose. The normal format of a statement for purpose requires only an overview of your college education. That means, that you should only refer to a summary of the college course that you took during your undergraduate studies, with a specific concentration on the courses that are relevant to your masters degree interest. That should show the progression of your academic interests headed into this current higher learning avenue.

After your college summary, a full presentation relating to your current profession and how it relates to your growing interest in electrical engineering must be presented. Under this task, you should make sure to indicate any additional training, seminars, or pertinent information that will provide a sense of the kind of professional foundation that you have as preparation for your masters studies.

Whenever possible, you should mention a thesis statement that you hope can help to progress the specific field of interest that you have in electrical engineering as the purpose of your studies. For example, you may have a notion for a method of improving some electrical structure that currently does not exist. Give an explanation of why you believe that your studies in this field can help you develop that idea and how you see it changing the field of electrical engineering in the process.

Through the thesis statement that you have, you can create a clear explanation as to why only WSU can help to train you to bring your concept to reality. Reiterate your desire to study in their university because of specific academic, research, and / or training reasons. It is after this presentation that you can finally close your essay.

I recommend that you totally remove any references to paragraph 5 in your revised essay. That is only a paragraph filler that does not truly help to expand the reasons for your application. It is only a history lesson for the reviewer, which is really not necessary to present since it does not pertain to your actual purpose for study or choice of university. Kindly revise your essay using the guide I have provided above. These should help you to create a more relevant and targeted statement of purpose that can truly help your application.

Home / Graduate / Statement of purpose for MS in electrical engineering in USA, the field of VLSI designing technology