How this Statement of Goals and Objectives looks like?

k_ettaleb 1 / 1  

the urge of getting a master's degree in Computer Science

Dear Madam/Sir,
Since I moved to the US nine years ago, I set goals to get a better job and career advancement; so, I can take care of my family, and complete a master's degree in Computer Science. Unfortunately, because of the lack of information in my community, I ended up working in side jobs that deviated me from my ultimate goals for a while. After I made the evaluation of my degrees last year, I felt the urge of getting a master's degree in Computer Science.

There are different reasons why people immigrate to a new country. The major reason is to improve their economic and financial situation. I knew that moving to a new country is very challenging. However, having a Computer Science background, I taught that it will be easy for me to get a job in IT. But, it was not the case. So, when I came to the US, it was the economic crisis of 2008. It took me almost four months to start working in a side job that allow me to take care of my family and pay my expenses. It was after three years that I got a Helpdesk support job. Even though, I did not give up studying and thinking about getting a Computer Science degree.

Since I came to the US, I was often taking classes at the community colleges and seeking a degree in Computer Science. But, because of the deficiency of information that was available to me in my community, I spend more than one year taking ESL classes and four years seeking an Associate degree in Computer Science without completing it. It is until last year, when I made the evaluation of my degrees and after having a few discussions with friends of mine, who graduated from the Northeastern Illinois University, and searching and reading through the website of the University, that I got persuaded that it is time to start seeking a master's degree in Computer Science at NEIU, who "was ranked 6th best investment in the nation, right below Harvard and above Georgia Tech."

I decided to complete my master's degree at the Northeastern Illinois University for two main reasons. First, I am impressed by the mission of the NEIU, which is to "provides an exceptional environment for learning, teaching, and scholarship," and "prepare a diverse community of students for leadership and service in our region and in a dynamic multicultural world." Also, I am admired by the vision of the NEIU that is "known for its dedication to its urban mission, for the quality of its programs, for the success of its graduates, and for the diversity of its learning environment." Second, I like the benefits, the career options, and the contents of the master's degree in Computer Science. The courses are offered in the evening and on Saturday morning to allows individuals who are employed full time to benefit from the program, with smaller class size and more contact with professors. Software Engineer and Web Developer are two from others career options that the NEIU's student have taken. These career options will not come true without the content of the program that allows student to gain the necessary courses and skills for the job market.

Taking a master's degree in Computer Science at the Northeastern Illinois University will be an opportunity for me to experience the values of the university and get the needed skills for my career advancement. It would be a great honor for me if given such a chance.

Sincerely,
Khalid Ettaleb
ghazali 4 / 6 2  
I don't get any clear goals at your explanation
at first, i just know that you want to take care of your family, so your goals are to get a better job and career advancement

but your first impression of NEIU is about environment diversity, is not how NEIU can improve your skills
Khalid, what you have written is a statement of purpose. Not a statement of goals and objectives. A statement of goals and objectives indicates your professional ambition and goals. While I applaud you immigration story, it doesn't provide the goals of this essay. Write this essay in 750 words maximum. Indicate only your current job and description. Talk about your dissatisfaction at this point and what changes you want to make. Discuss the future of your profession as you see it. Relate it to your skills and character traits. Formulate a work mantra or belief for yourself. Then explain how this inspired your work goals and objectives. Your current essay it's too personal and self centered. It must be professionally aimed and focused on how you can contribute to the improvement of your craft. That makes a true objectives and goals essay.
OP k_ettaleb 1 / 1  
thanks

Hi,
The following is what the University want me to write about:

"Submit a two-page statement addressing your goals and objectives specific to the program to which you are applying." (source: admissions.neiu.edu/admission-requirements).
What do you think?

Home / Graduate / How this Statement of Goals and Objectives looks like?