Personal Statement for Grad School Global Health

ambL31 1 / 1  

Trinity College Dublin Masters study

Hi all,
So I am applying for a graduate program at Trinity College Dublin for a masters in global health and have been really getting stuck on my personal statement-- the program is amazing and only accepts 25 students a year, and I think my issue is that I have really been over thinking it a lot. Anyway, here is what I have so far for my statement-- any feedback is greatly appreciated. I feel like I have repeated a lot of terms/ ideas and love any advice that anyone has to offer on how to correct this, or substitute in something else. In addition, any suggestions you may have in regard to the overall organization of the statement would also be helpful. Thanks! This is the prompt, followed by the course description: personal statement stating your interest in global health issues, why you wish to participate in the course, prior global health experience, and your career aspirations (not more than 1000 words)

Course Description: The M.Sc. Global Health, building on and replacing our previous successful Masters in International/Community Health, aims to prepare graduates to contribute on a broader scale to the design, implementation, and management of health programmes, health systems development and health policy. The course augments traditional approaches to public and international health by bringing together perspectives and insights from a range of health and social sciences in understanding and resolving the challenges of global health. These problems may arise, for example, in relief and development programmes in developing countries; in conflict and post-conflict situations; with refugees, asylum seekers and economic migrants; with tourists and business travellers. All countries give rise to inequities in health, wealth, education and human rights, and the interconnectedness of these issues will be a major theme running throughout the course.

The course also lays emphasis on 'local' experiences that resonates globally in the case of Ireland. These include the influence of poverty and rapid social change on health and identity in Ireland; migration and refugee welfare, the consequences of ethnic conflict, the peace process and the challenges of reconciliation for creating inclusive health services. The strongest emphasis within the course is on health in developing countries and the impact of globalisation. While this will incorporate some aspects of our previous International Health programme we also wish to develop a stronger emphasis on the influence of socio-cultural, economic and health policy issues.

The programme aims to provide graduates with a greater appreciation of the global interconnectedness of health problems and the range and depth of research methodology that can be used to work through these challenges. The M.Sc. Global Health course is particularly designed for practitioners, policy makers, health system planners, programme managers, analysts and health researchers, who wish to understand the broader and interconnecting causes of many health problems from a global perspective as well as those who aspire to build a career in the global health arena.

My interest in global health-in the field of public health in general-originated with my participation in an International Health course that took place during the spring of my junior year. I had entered the course partially due to my personal interest in international health-which stemmed from a passion for travel and a desire to experience foreign cultures-and mostly due to a need to meet the general education requirements of my university. It was during this time that I was first introduced to the field of public health. The course required to me to thoroughly research a developing nation and compile a comprehensive report explicating the country's political, social, economic, and healthcare structures. Through continuous research and a broad range of presentations, I came to understand the vast disparities that exist in health, healthcare, and access to basic needs such as clean water, sanitation, and essential nutrients, and fostered a growing desire to aid in closing the gap that is present amongst developed and developing countries. Upon completing the coursework I was left with a clearer view of the path I wanted to take in life and the knowledge and skills to help pave the way.

As I continued my Public Health coursework studying topics such as disease prevention, environmental health, research methods, nutrition, and grant writing, I became even more enthralled with the subject. The multitude of courses I attended allowed me to obtain a breadth of knowledge and skills relating to the field. My senior year has found me fashioning a grant for a vaccine-centered community intervention program for rotavirus for children in India. While the grant itself and the program are fictional, the invaluable knowledge and skills the course has provided me with are real. Not only have I obtained a greater understanding of the multifaceted approach to implementing community intervention programs, but I have also strengthened my research and critical thinking skills, enhanced my writing ability, and acquired skills in budget planning, program design, and evaluation. This experience has equipped me with instrumental competencies that have undoubtedly prepared me for a career in the public health spectrum; researching international health and community development and intervention programs has only furthered my desire to study and work in the field of global health. The countless courses and volunteer and internship experiences I have participated in have all worked to instill in me a deep seated passion for numerous facets of global health.

I possess a pronounced interest in and zeal for global health matters, specifically relating to environmental and child health, and hope to make a positive impact in these areas. In addition, I have always held an intrinsic belief that no one should lack access to basic needs and resources such as food, clean water, healthcare, and proper housing and sanitation. As I obtained knowledge about conditions in other countries I could think of nothing other than finding a way to help those who do not have access to these necessities. My ambition is to build a career in the global health field working on programs in developing countries that aim to address issues such as health, environmental sustainability, economics, and social change. I desire to work directly on designing, implementing, and managing health and development programs in resource poor communities and working to build global partnerships that will create positive change. I have gained an in depth knowledge and understanding of the numerous inequities that exist in this world, and firmly believe that global partnerships, community development projects, and public health initiatives are viable solutions to these problems.

The Masters in Global Health at Trinity College provides a comprehensive curriculum that directly relates to my career aspirations. I feel that the coursework will provide me with the necessary education that I need in order to succeed in the global health field. The program will aid in building upon the knowledge I currently possess, as well as providing me with additional skills and insight into the interconnectedness of global issues pertaining not only to health, but to education, politics, and society, as well. I have no doubt that participation in the Masters in Global Health course will fully prepare me for my future. My desire to attend Trinity stems from a deep seated hope to obtain as much skill and knowledge in the fields of public and global health as possible. I not only want to work in a field that aims to create positive global changes in the areas of health, environmental sustainability, politics, and human rights, but I want to do the absolute best job that I can in working toward those goals; I hope to gain paramount knowledge and experience in the field and feel Trinity can provide me with that.

In the past I have considered many career paths, faltering along the way, in a staggering battle to decide which field was best suited for my passions, interests, personality, and skill, and know that I have since found that match in Public Health for all of the abovementioned reasons. My compassionate personality, growing desire to aid those in need, and general interest in various areas of health and wellbeing unified with my knowledge of public health and existent disparities in developing nations, has resulted in my aspiration to work in the global health arena. Ultimately, all that it really came down to was a question of what I was passionate about, what would provide me with fulfillment in life, and how could I help others. After that, it was relatively simple. Goals shift, minds change, and plans alter, but ever since completing my very first Public Health course, I have felt that global health was the embodiment of all of my passions and future aspirations; the only way in which my mind has changed is that I have developed an interest in and passion for global health and international community development that has continued to grow with each new skill I develop and each new subject I learn.
My interest in global health-in the field of public health in general-originated with my participation in an International Health course that took place during the spring of my junior year. I had entered the course partially due to my personal interest in international health-which stemmed from a passion for travel and a desire to experience foreign cultures-and mostly due to a need to meet the general education requirements of my university. THIS IS A RUN-ON SENTENCE, SEE IF YOU CAN BREAK IT UP A BIT

Not only have I obtained a greater understanding of the multifaceted approach to implementing community intervention programs, but I have also strengthened my research and critical thinking skills, enhanced my writing ability, and acquired skills in budget planning, program design, and evaluation.

The countless courses,and volunteer, and internship experiences I have participated in have all worked to instill in me a deep seated passion for numerous facets of global health.

I possess a pronounced interest in and zeal for global health matters, specifically relating to environmental and child health. END SENTENCE and i hope to make a positive impact in these areas.

NICE JOB. I HIGHLIGHTED AREAS WHICH I FELT NEEDED REVISION AND WOULD JUST ADVISE YOU TO BE MINDFUL OF EXCESSIVELY LONG SENTENCES.
OP ambL31 1 / 1  
Thanks for the feedback Susan! I definitely tend to make my sentences a bit lengthy, so I'll work on editing that-- I appreciate you taking the time to give me some feedback! :)

Home / Graduate / Personal Statement for Grad School Global Health