Home / Graduate   % width NEW!

Personal Statement for HKUST(BBA in Global Business)

najeeba 1 / -  
Please provide information which you feel will be of interest to the selection panels of the program. There is no restriction on format, content and length

Writing a potentially life changing essay has made me look at things from a perspective that I would have otherwise never done. It really compelled me to reflect on myself and dig deep within to understand who I am now and who I want to be.

I have chosen BBA in Global Business as my first program choice. The name of the program caught my attention immediately. A business degree is more versatile than many other degrees and I like knowing that with this degree I will have the option of having an impact on many different fields. After checking the course description and modules I can honestly say I became passionate about it. From the thrill of risk-taking to the glory of success I see business as a dynamic high-energy field. What excites me about doing 'global business' is how not only is it in context with an ever evolving world that is progressing towards globalization but also how it will equip me with skills to become a more active 'citizen of the world'. Needless to say HKUST's reputation as a business school makes it all the more desirable. I cannot think of a better place than Hong Kong to study business and explore its various aspects as it is a booming economy and bustling financial hub with so much potential. I would like to take inspiration from that and try to mould my life in way that it can achieve the same progression and prosperity.

I believe I will be a fit with this intensive program because I have a constant drive and will to complete the task at hand to the best of my ability. I am assured I will invest myself fully if given the opportunity. I am a hard-working and determined individual who will not rest until I have achieved the goal I set for myself. I like to push myself as hard as I can because I know that will help extract my potential. I grew up in a generation watching empowered and independent women on the social media and that has made me ambitious.

Working at Islamia Eye Hospital as a volunteer, I had to work first hand with people from all walks of life, filling out check-in forms and directing them to the relevant sections. Keeping queues in order was a part of the work where I had to use assertion coated with politeness! The qualities that this experience brought out in me was patience(which I never had too much of),the ability to communicate effectively even under pressure in a very real life situation.

Swimming as exciting as it has been as a sport has also helped me understand how discipline and perseverance is a key ingredient in achieving any goal, which in my case is learning to be a better swimmer with every session. With every lap I get more tired but I also get a little closer to completing a preset number of laps and that's when the willpower in my mind comes into play. The feeling of exhaustion and stress is oddly satisfactory when I know I have achieved something, regardless of how big or small it may be.

Seeing the kind of 'international environment' that HKUST offers I want to bring my own culture and values and cherish the opportunity to soak in the cultural diversity I will find. I am always striving to be more and I believe going to HKUST will give me a well-rounded experience starting from academics to life lessons and cultural awareness and everything else in between.

(596 words)

Home / Graduate / Personal Statement for HKUST(BBA in Global Business)