Statement of Intent for Masters in Global Health

naj12 2 / 5 4  
Please describe why you are applying specifically to the Master's Programme in Global Health and to XXXX OOOO, and explain why you believe you are a good candidate. The arguments you use as well as the format and structure of the statement will be assessed. Make sure all text is shown in the text field (do not exceed the text field).

I set my goals straight

I've always thought to help others, I must become a physician. I thought once I have an MD, I will be able to understand the pain of others and help in their healing. Thus, I set my goals straight. I told myself, I will finish my Bachelors of Nutrition and Dietetics and directly apply for medical school. I had everything planned.

Life has its twists and turns. Only after taking a turn, you see what's around the corner. Not getting into medical school was devastating. However, I wasn't going to stop there. I went on to do a six months internship for my degree in a local hospital. It was during my internship that I had realized, I had everything wrong. I failed to realize that helping an individual can go many miles beyond the direct knowledge of the human anatomy.

As a clinical dietitian intern, I monitored my patients' nutritional status and created a bond with them. I educated a man on how to live healthy with a colostomy bag attached and convinced a woman that she could still breastfeed even if she works. I remember a patient with Crohn's Disease and Short Bowl Syndrome always being admitted for the same reason of abdominal distension and discomfort. No one had informed her that her solution was simple, she just had to modify her eating habits. Such experiences and many more reshaped my understanding of what makes anyone an effective healer or helper.

Working in a hospital also gave me the opportunity to see real physicians in action. I saw how they took patient histories, monitored lab values, and prescribed medications. Unfortunately, I was disappointed with the system. Doctors spent half if not most of their time filling out insurance forms for their patients. They had to make sure the hospital would be properly reimbursed. Then came the medication forms. If those forms weren't filled meticulously, insurance companies wouldn't cover the medication fee. Moreover, patients would get readmitted two or three months later for the same medical reason because they can't afford the medication.

Not directly getting into medical school after graduating, was indeed a blessing in disguise. I was too concerned about a piece of a much larger puzzle. I realized that people were so much more the patients in need of medical attention. People are humans deserving of proper healthcare and awareness.

I am essentially drawn to the Global Health (GH) program, because it is a multi-layered transitioning step for a much-informed action-taking. I am still interested in pursuing medicine in the future. However, I want to gain more experience on public health research on the global scale beforehand. I want to learn from the better and improve on what we have in my home country.

I believe XXXX OOOO (XO) is the right choice for me. Not only is it one of the reputable medical universities in Europe, it's GH program is very well structured and explained. The opportunity for conducting the master's thesis research abroad is truly captivating for field experience. Moreover, the current GH research projects being conducted at XO are inspiring.

I believe I have the will power and commitment to excel in this program. Through my undergraduate coursework, epidemiological research experience, volunteer work, extra-curricular activities, and internship, I have gained a broad knowledge and understanding that is yet to be enhanced. I hope my contributions will enrich the diversity and scope of research of the program. Furthermore, I am confident that joining this program is the right step for acquiring the necessary knowledge and skills to thrive stronger in my career path.

PS. I didn't write extensively about all of my experiences as this letter is directly attached to my CV. I thought it would be redundant to restate my CV in paragraph format. Thank you so much in advance!
Nahla , the first half of your document is actually part of a personal statement. I am not sure why you included that information because this is a statement that came with a specific prompt requirement from the university. You were given two specific topics to discuss which were:

1. The reason you think you require training in Global Health via this masters degree
2. Why you chose this specific university

The essay you should be writing must highlight how this particular masters degree will help you further advance your career as a dietician. This is not an essay about the what might have been and personal realizations. This is a discussion about how you have developed your career and how the Global Health aspect of patient care fits into it. While I can see why you feel that you need to include a backstory in the essay, it is actually unnecessary for you to do so. In fact, the best part of this essay, that should become the opening salvo of your revised essay is the following:

I am essentially drawn to the Global Health (GH) program... onwards. This is a character count specific essay so you should not waste your time creating an unwanted backstory. Respond directly to the prompt requirements and end the essay. By creating a backstory, you risk running out of space on the screen. In all similar situations, it is always best to be direct to the point.

Your motivation for further study in this field and the reasons why you chose this university comprise your motivation, which is essentially, what this essay is all about. Therefore, you must focus on developing those discussion in relation to the prompt requirements and nothing more. You were right not to repeat the information in your CV in this essay, that isn't needed either. Develop a strong presentation of your motivational reasons, without falling back on your failed dreams. Focus on the here and now, as well as the future of your career instead.
OP naj12 2 / 5 4  
I was confused to some extent with what I wrote...Thank you so much!
I will redo it and hopefully upload it again
Nahla, this is an improved version of your statement of intent. I hope you won't mind when I tell you that there is still room for improvement though. It mostly has to do with the formatting of the paper and also, beefing up the reference to your university choice. You can present the essay in the following manner:

Par. 1: My endeavours to learn and absorb...prevention programs.
Par. 2: Through the Master's Programme in Global Health... relief of illness or symptoms.
Par. 3: I know that an education from XXXX would prepare me well to take an appropriate initiative in my home country. (Your explanation here is to be more specific the reasons you chose the university. Beyond the generalized references, you need to show a familiarity with the program you have chosen and how it will specifically help you achieve your future academic and professional goals by citing clear references to the university offerings and how it applies to your academics and profession. )

Par. 4: Through my last years of university ... of healthcare grew ardently. I believe I have the will power ... scope of research of the program.

The format about is what I believe will be the best method of presentation for your essay. You may decide to adjust some of the presentation, specially the concluding paragraph, in order to better suit the new form of the essay and additional information you are now presenting.
OP naj12 2 / 5 4  
Thank you so much! Your guidance has been very helpful. I will re-edit it again. However, I was slightly confused about what you meant with "citing clear references". If it means being more specific with my interest in this particular university, I think I did that to some extent. The university has 4 research groups with respect to the global health program, and I specified my interest in the "Health Systems and Policy" research group and the sub-group "Maternal & Child and Clinical Care". Should I talk about my preference to their syllabus or discuss of one of their published works that struck me? Please enlighten me so I can expand Par. 3 accordingly. thank you again :)

Home / Graduate / Statement of Intent for Masters in Global Health