Personal Statement Speech Language Pathologist

DaynaM 1 / -  
Help! Applying to graduate programs for Speech and Language Pathologist.

A statement of your occupational background, your professional goals, and reasons for wanting to pursue the concentration that you have selected. You might include a statement of what influenced you and your long-term goals.

My passion for Speech and Language Pathology first sparked in my junior year of high school when I was given the opportunity to volunteer as a student assistant in a middle school resource room, where I was first introduced to Speech and Language Pathology. It was a small classroom comprised of four students who required a multitude of needs due to their severe intellectual disabilities, physical disabilities, and behaviors. Despite these circumstances and initial hesitations of how I would be able to effectively work within this classroom, I quickly became acquainted with these students and learned how to engage and work with their unique and endearing personalities. Each day one student greeted me with the biggest smile and always stated, "Good Morning, Miss Dayna!" while the students who were nonverbal smiled at me or waved their hands. This was enough to turn any of my bad days around. Every Friday the Speech and Language Pathologist came into the classroom to conduct a group lesson, targeting a variety of different student goals and needs. She was patient, kind and caring with them, despite the difficulties they presented. She brought a bag full of activities to work on specific letters in beginning, medial or final position or basic communication skills such as asking questions. Her dedication and love for her occupation cultivated my passion for the profession.

As I began the undergraduate major of Communication Disorders at Bridgewater State University (BSU), I soon learned of the dedication, commitment, and hard work that is required to excel in such a rigorous program. During this time, I learned to exemplify my organizational and time management skills, while learning how to prioritize my challenging workload and other tasks that needed to be completed as a college student. I believe these skills are the cornerstone to becoming a successful speech and language pathologist. At BSU's Speech Language and Hearing Clinic, I participated in a clinical practicum where I provided therapy to a 6-year-old girl presenting expressive language deficits. Being able to observe her progress within the semester deepened my fascination in the field of communication. BSU has prepared me well for the extensive coursework and challenges presented throughout the graduate program. BSU's undergraduate program in Communication Disorders offered me a wealth of knowledge and clinical experiences to enhance my learning as a future Speech and Language Pathologist.

After graduation from the undergraduate program, I was extremely nervous and excited to begin this new journey in my life, however, I felt prepared and ready to take on this position. My specialty was speech so I was given consults for speech stimulus. With a caseload of 35 clients ranging from ages 0-3, I had my hands full. Working in Lowell opened my eyes to all the diversity in the world. My caseload ranged from families living in shelters to middle class citizens that I instantly fell in love with this job because I was improving the lives of children. I was making a positive impact on not only the young children I was directly working with, but their parents and caregivers as well. As my clients made strides in their speech and language goals, I felt as though I was directly improving their communicative abilities, while also enabling parents/caregivers to be a part of the process by giving consistent feedback, suggestions, and strategies. Along with providing therapy for the children, part of my responsibility as a clinician was to counsel and mediate parental concerns. I worked alongside collaterals such as doctors, developmental pediatricians and DCF workers and I was a member of multidisplinary team of occupational therapist, developmental specialist, speech therapist, social workers, and physical therapist in order to provide the best therapy services for my clients. I watched as my clients became frustrated because they couldn't express their needs. I watched as their parents felt helpless in their child's development. I watched as they blamed themselves for their child's delay. There were days when I thought that my patience and heart for these children went unnoticed and days when I wanted to give up but my motivation and passion for this field kept me going along with the smiles on all of my clients' faces. I celebrated every achievement my clients made as little as they were because I knew how hard it was and how long it took to reach them. My eyes filled with excitement when my clients produced new sounds or a new word and their families thanked me and appreciated me. As a clinician, I managed my caseload appropriately and kept a flexible schedule. Maintaining a professional demeanor with my families has allowed them to gain trust within me and respect my advice. Relationships are formed and tested throughout our journey together. Each child has their own Individualized Family Service Plan that include goals and outcomes that they must achieve. Every day I wake up determined to help my clients achieve a goal on their list. There have been obstacles that tested my work ethic, my trust, and my personal beliefs but I have overcome them and it has made me a stronger clinician. **this is awesome This job has given me confidence,integrity, and most importantly, self-determination. Throughout the challenges and negativity that I have been exposed to working in this field, it has provided me the opportunity to better the lives of children.

After being in the workfield for a year, I decided to apply to graduate school. I was saddened and disappointed in myself by the numerous rejection letters that I had received. Although this was such a set back in my life, it only motivated me to work harder to achieve my goal in becoming a competent speech language pathologist. I started going on more visits with the speech and language pathologist to observe her and ask her a numerous amount of questions to better myself as a student and a professional. I started trainings to become an Registered Behavioral Therapist, as autism is a diagnosis that has always held my interest. I want to continue to immerse myself in as much knowledge and education as possible to become a well-rounded professional, as the speech and language field is perpetually evolving. Also, my application was sent in to become a Speech Language Pathologist Assistant.

The time is now. My decision to apply for graduate studies at this time is simply being motivated to continue my journey as a learning professional and to strengthen my knowledge in the Speech Language Pathology field. I am eager to expand on my experiences in a variety of settings and participate in research. Not only did my undergraduate studies and personal experiences provided me adequate preparation and dedication to become a successful Speech Language Pathologist but it has given me the desire to learn more of what the profession has to offer.
ReskiRamadani88 43 / 57 5  
Overall, your essay is good. You was explained this point : "your professional goals, and reasons for wanting to pursue the concentration that you have selected". It was good, reader will interest will you. But in the introduction paragraph, i think you must make it simple and make people do not boring to read your skills and your passion. This is my idea:

"My passion for Speech and Language Pathology. When i was high school, i have given the opportunity to
... intellectual disabilities, physical disabilities, and behaviors. Every Friday the Speech and Language Pathologist came into the classroom to conduct a group lesson, targeting a variety of different student goals and needs.

I began the undergraduate major of Communication Disorders at Bridgewater State University (BSU), ...
I learned to exemplify my organizational and time management skills, while learning how to prioritize my challenging workload and other tasks that needed to be completed as a college."...............................................
Phoowadon 5 / 26 11  
@DaynaM
I observed that You just have done what I did before, your body para graph is very compacted and needs to be separated. To do so, you have to do a brainstorming first the top one will be your thesis statement and convert tobe your introduction which encompasses every thing that are later divided into 2-4 body paragraphs.

your 2- 4 sub ideas from the top ones are your topic sentences, they (what) are then supposed to be place in the prior sentence of any body paragraphs. Then you can expain (why) your thought, and give some examples from your experience where relevant.

Home / Graduate / Personal Statement Speech Language Pathologist