essay of personal statement speech and language pathology

kiki 1 / -  
Running a marathon: hurry up, slow down, pace yourself, what's next. That is sometimes how it feels being a senior in Communication Disorders. It is nice to slow down and reflect on the reasons why I want to become a Speech and Language Pathologist.

It is fascinating how children develop communication skills. I want to learn more about children's language. I require more knowledge about both preschool and school age language development. The investigation/diagnoses of language and the development of a plan of therapy are intriguing. Improving children's challenges with oral language requires further advancement of my knowledge of assistive technology. I must enhance my knowledge in literacy, swallowing and develop my knowledge about adult disorders. I see all of these as great opportunities to pursue in graduate school.

There has never been a time that I have not wanted to work with children, in particular, children who struggle in speech and language development. As a person who overcame a math disability, I was fortunate to have teachers who impacted my life with their teaching. Through direct experience, one particular educator was very influential to me, my third grade teacher, Mrs. Worzalla. Her lessons have forever empowered me to strive for the best and to never give up. I too, want to have the same impact on a child's education. I love children and people for that matter. Studying fluency, voice and adult neurogenic language and speech disorders has sparked my interest in working with adults to regain or improve their speech and language skills

My curiosity in Speech and Language Pathology began at four years old. I started being interested in working with children when my parents adopted my brother, Charlie, from Colombia. My brother has several disabilities: he has a unilateral sensorineural hearing loss, dysarthric speech and other physical problems. Becoming a Speech and Language Pathologist became a lifelong dream. I went to my brother's speech and language therapy sessions. Even at three years old I tried to do what the Speech and Language Pathologist did to help my brother speak. During the therapy sessions I would watch the Speech and Language Pathologist combining teaching with fun. It is very important to keep therapy sessions fun and enthusiastic in order for children to learn and develop the speech and language needed. As I observed the therapy, I came to the realization that this is what I wanted to do when I grew up.

A few years later when my brother had surgery for a velopharngeal flap, I discovered an anatomy book; it was on the anatomy and physiology of the speech structures. I tried to read and comprehend it. I attempted to learn where the structures were and what they did. Studying this anatomy book further increased my desire to pursue Speech and Language Pathology.

I have many qualities that would be assets in the field. I am patient and caring; two important qualities for the field. I want clients to be successful and to be able to function so that they have a good life. I have been a volunteer, in which I have worked to improve my skills and increase my knowledge. Volunteering with elementary school children who had articulation difficulties was an eye opening experience in which I was able to apply my book knowledge to real life. I helped to eliminate their articulation errors. This was a very rewarding and fulfilling experience. I have obtained skills during clinic, including sharpening my own discrimination of sounds, and developing the ability to be more flexible when therapy needs to deviate from the lesson plan. I learned how to build a lesson based upon previous lessons while managing ongoing assessments. I am a very reliable, responsible, honest, hardworking individual with focus on detail, and a strong desire to learn.

Academically, I have been on the honor roll. I strive to do my best in all of my classes. I study hard and absorb all the necessary and important information needed for graduate school and for my future career. I am very determined and I will persevere in everything I put my mind to do.

Due to my desire to learn and know more about this field, I have attended a conference which discussed the use of PECS (Picture Exchange Communication System), how behavior can be a form of communication and steps to social communication. I also belong to NSSLHA, in which I perform various activities such as raising money that benefit the community as well as the Speech and Language Pathology program. Working at Milestones, a daycare in Whitefish Bay, with infants to two year olds, has been a priceless experience. I have gained practical knowledge of the development of children; especially on how speech and language develops. Seeing first hand that each child develops in a different manner has been invaluable.

I am ready to continue onto graduate school. I have learned and can see how much progress I have made in clinic and in my classes as an undergraduate. I want to continue to expand my knowledge both in classes and in the field through practical experience. My lifelong dream of becoming a Speech and Language Pathologist is about to come true and I am so excited!
Running a marathon: hurry up, slow down, pace yourself... what's next?

That first paragraph needs at least one more sentence, maybe two more. It takes a big leap from the notion of "running" plus those intro words "hurry up slow down"... and then you jump to "sometimes it is nice.." but I think you should do this:

Running a marathon: hurry up, slow down, pace yourself, what's next. That is sometimes how it feels being a senior in Communication Disorders. (Add a sentence that will explain what you mean by that). It is nice to slow down and reflect on the reasons why I want to become a Speech and Language Pathologist.

I don't understand the use of "swallowing" here! ---> I must enhance my knowledge in literacy swallowing and develop my knowledge about adult disorders. I see all of these as great opportunities to pursue in graduate school.

can't say necessary---> needed
I study hard and absorb all the necessary and important information needed for succeeding in graduate school and my future career.

Separate the 2 halves of a compound sentence with a comma:
I am very determined, and I will persevere in everything I put my mind to do.

:-) You seem to have tons of potential!!! The essay is excellent, and your story is meaningful. Thanks for sharing your essay here!

Home / Graduate / essay of personal statement speech and language pathology