Statement of purpose for Masters degree in Sustainability - University of Southampton

Bandirao 1 / 1  

University of Southampton application

I am applying for a Master's Degree in Sustainability at University of Southampton because am very interested in the development of my Environment. My interest to pursue these Study was first stimulated during my undergraduate Study in Modibbo Adama University of Technology Yola, It informed my decision to seek enrollment with University of Southampton for Master's Degree in Sustainability to further my knowledge and experience.

I have also looked at your programs and your authorizations, and they have lived up to my expectations particularly, I have been absorbed by the experience of your Staff and their consequential contributions to these field. The decision to enroll with University of Southampton also driven by the desire to achieve my career goal which is to improve Sustainability which exploit the processes to enrich cultural and traditional resources available within my Environment. To realize this, I intend to further my Architectural knowledge, where I will engage in comprehensive research that will lead to consistent and publishable results. I also plan to seek employment during my Study with an organization that will empower me with the acquired necessary practical. After completing my Master's Degree and gaining the necessary knowledge on Sustainable Development, I plan to open my Design firm either as an individual or in partnership with an equally/highly experienced person. Since Nigeria is a diverse and populated country, I will seek to modify the lives of people in the community by boosting the construction of buildings that are safe for living and through generous assistances.

My experience will be extensively important in the successful pursuit of a Master's Degree in Sustainability. During my undergraduate studies, I handled numerous urban scale projects that entitled urban development and solving complex urban issues. This help me acquired a comprehensive approach to creativity. Specifically, in my final year design, I carried out a project entitled Rice Processing Plant, where I came up with a plan that not only changed the flow of food production but one that proposed how to reduce food wastage during harvesting. This enhanced my natural ability to devise solutions to problems associated with poor planning. My work experience has helped me to expand my creativity and innovation. The task in these profession required handling many design themes, which raised the development of my demonstrating skills. This also helped in acquiring housing solutions and therefore being able to arrive at the most suitable solution to such problems. It's my desire to learn new ideas and gather information, which I believe is important in the pursuit of master's degree

In conclusion, I believe that based on my academic background and past experiences in the field of Design and Construction. I'll be granted the opportunity to advance my Studies by pursuing a Master's Study on Sustainability in one of the most prestigious university in United Kingdom, I would be of much value to the world and to my National Economy as well. Precisely, my Desire to attain Academic excellence and contribute to the Sustainable Development Goals Agenda are of more reasons to place confidence in my academic pursuit.
The first paragraph is non-essential to this discussion. The second paragraph aligns more with the SOP guidelines. While I agree that you must have a vision that aligns with the university objectives and course offerings, the applicant ,must more importantly explain how his undergraduate studies and professional achievements connect with the curriculum. He must show the usefulness of the masters studies to his future plans. Revise the tone of that paragraph. It sounds like the university is applying for acceptance by the student instead of the other way around. The student should prove he qualifies for admission since the school cando without him as a student.

Expand more on the work experience aspect as this is relevant to the purpose. This is going to be the major qqualifier for the applicant. It currently sounds to simplistic and general in reference. It should be more informative than currently presented. It should pop when the reader considers the current experience and relevant previous on the job training and seminars with future plans in relation to advanced studies. The student should prove the continous education purpose as well.
OP Bandirao 1 / 1  
Okay thank you @holt I'll revise it now

Home / Graduate / Statement of purpose for Masters degree in Sustainability - University of Southampton