Statement for Purpose for Masters in Game Design/Development

whaj47 1 / -  
Hi, I am applying for a Masters program in USA. Can anyone look at my statement of purpose ?
This is my first draft. Any pointers will be highly appreciated.

personal statement

Ever since I set foot into the realms of video games in the late mid 2000 with Pacman being my first ever game, I fell head over heels for the interactive media industry. Fast forward to 2012, I get my hands on the newest installment of The Elder's Scroll which was released a year earlier. This game takes me into a world of dragons and magic, but this world is rather dull and not so magical because it lacks color and vibrance. I develop this notion that maybe something is wrong with my own computer and with that idea in my mind I hop onto the internet and end up hitting the jackpot stumbling upon this amazing world of graphic mods. The magic is restored in the mystical land of Tamriel but I end up frying my GPU and all is lost. With the death of my GPU, my mind is befuddled by a question that "Why can't they make games that run regardless of the system hardware a person possesses?"

Whatever Your Mind Can Conceive and Believe, It Can Achieve. - Napoleon Hill.
I embarked on this quest with low frame rates accompanying me along the way and taught myself the C programming language and I found myself in the realms of Linux and Android custom ROMs. I move forward tinkering with custom ROMs throughout my highschool years trying to run a later version of Android on my ancient HTC phone but I lack the required knowledge so on this quest of finding the answer to my question, I made my way into the Bachelors of Software Engineering program at NED University. My first college project was none other than a game, a simple and ugly snake game using the C programming language. My question had been answered, but this experience of building a game from scratch albeit a simple one had now flipped a switch in my brain and my motivation to get into the gaming industry was now colossal.

I have now finished my Bachelors in Software Engineering and have acquired several new skills in the process. I have gained fair command over several programming constructs including object oriented programming and declarative programming. I believe that a masters degree in game design will greatly benefit me and allow me to thrive in the gaming industry. According to a recent report, the gaming industry is currently bigger than the movie industry and the North American sports industry combined but that is not my key motivator. My primary purpose to study game development is to hone myself so that I am able to flourish as an indie game developer and at the same time, make significant contributions in the industry.

Presently, I am working as a freelance mobile app and web developer. I've also recently dived into the kingdom of Unity and 3D modelling using Blender. I've done some 3d model edits in the past, modifying meshes and textures of different player faces for the Pro Evolution Soccer 2016. I am currently learning C# programming language as part of the Unity 3D development course from Udemy and have acquired understanding of basic game development constructs. My job as a freelancer has also pushed me to broaden my horizons making me a versatile software developer. Moreover, I initially started my freelance career as a graphic designer so I have experience with design tools such as Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop.

Outside of the academic world, I am a fitness fanatic and actively engage in sports. I was a part of the football team for the inter-departmental football tournament. I enjoy reading, mostly self improvement books but also fiction. I also have a knack for researching different subjects and I seek to continue these activities during my postgraduate study. Having procured key skills in this postgraduate program, I intend to transform my ideas into reality, which I believe would be a great addition to the gaming industry.
What you have here is a great personal statement that shows the development of your interest in Game Design and Development. You have also shown a solid foundation in terms of your academic background in reference to this interest. However, it does not signify a proper statement of purpose for a masters course. Since you have an interest in completing a masters in Game Design and Development, the statement of purpose should reflect the reasons for your interest in pursuing this field on a more advanced level.

There are actually some sections in this presentation that you can use as a part of your statement of purpose. Paragraphs 3 and 4 can be modified to reflect the direction that you hope your future career in this field will be taking. These represent your professional foundation in reference to your relevant educational background. However, the reason for your interest is incomplete. You need to have at least a 6 month career plan culminating in a 5 year career plan presented as a part of the purpose for your studies.

If you want to create a more solid presentation, focus your purpose on the following theme:

"Why can't they make games that run regardless of the system hardware a person possesses?"

That offers a clear, self, explanatory purpose for your studies. All you have to do after that, is develop the purpose based on your vision for either an open source game console or, an open source game, which will see reality perhaps as your kickstarter project or something. Then relate how the purpose fits in with the masters curriculum. Make sure the purpose ties in with 3 things at all times:

- Your future career
- The curriculum of the university
- How the additional studies will help you achieve your goals and ambitions

Home / Graduate / Statement for Purpose for Masters in Game Design/Development