Home / Graduate   % width NEW!

Personal Statement for MSc in Data Science at University of Michigan

Hi everyone!

For editing, content, and formatting needs please contact us at essayforum.com@gmail.com. Thank you! EF

Personal Statement

I would appreciate your evaluation on my personal statement required for an MSc application in Data Science.

How have your background and life experiences, including cultural, geographical, financial, educational, citizenship status, or other opportunities or challenges, motivated your decision to pursue a graduate degree at the University of Michigan.

The word count of current version is 485 words. I would like to know how could I add them to 500 words and if there are any points that need improvement.

Thank you in advance.

" It was about a year ago when I realized that Data Science is the field of study that truly fascinates me. During the introductory lecture of the Data Mining Techniques course, our professor vividly illustrated the importance of Machine Learning with a number of real-world examples. He mentioned, among other things, speech recognition used by virtual assistants, text classification used by Google's search engine, and image recognition in surveillance systems. This very first lecture initially sparked my interest in Data Science. Throughout this intriguing course, I was able to expose myself to some basic techniques of Data Mining and Machine Learning. In the meantime, I channelized my zeal into Data Science, and further, getting into my field of interest reflected positively in my academic performance. Combining overall learning and technical knowledge in subjects like Programming Language ( Python ), Database ( SQL and NoSQL), Data Analytics, Data Visualization, Machine & Deep learning theory & practice, Statistics, Online service like (AWS, Azure), Business Analytics helped me evolve as an engineering student. I had concluded that upon completing my undergraduate studies, pursuing a Master's degree would enable me to broaden my horizon to the amazing world of Data Science.

My undergraduate study at the Department of Electronics and Communication offered me the opportunity of acquiring both sound theoretical knowledge and strong practical skills. More precisely, "Virtual robotic arm controlled with hand gesture recognition and artificial intelligence" was one of the topics that I learned by taking up AI and Robotics in my final year research project. I came across people who closely followed developments in the field of AI and we conducted a vast literature survey on the Robotic system. Participating in various group projects helped me acquire solid collaboration and communication skills along with the ability to handle multiple deadlines simultaneously. Furthermore, our curriculum included a broad range of fundamental courses related to mathematics, like calculus, linear algebra, and statistics.

I was able to work as a machine learning intern at Widhya and as a data scientist and business analyst at the Spark Foundation due to my extensive knowledge and experience. Working on various machine learning and algorithm-based projects allowed me to gain experience.

This course will undoubtedly provide me with a broad and diversified vision to learn new ways and engage in the core curriculum to gain depth in all the essential principles that constitute the foundation of Data Science theory and application at this university. I will also research technical knowledge and its application. To attain my targeted goals, I need to refresh my abilities and training since technology breakthroughs develop at a quick pace. I can investigate crucial contextual topics or more advanced technological applications of Data Science by taking numerous electives. My interests and goals are in research, thus taking a Research and Development (R&D) course will assist me in aligning my plans."

For reference, I'm attaching my Statement of purpose whether both SOP or PS are similar or different.
Please let me know.

SOP

" Data Science is transforming our world and knowing how to create powered applications can give you an edge in your career. My long-term goal is to establish a successful carrier in research in Data Science and utilize its key potential for the enhancement of mankind. Data Science is revolutionizing entire industries, changing the way companies across sectors leverage data to make decisions. Organizations need qualified Data Science engineers who use cutting-edge methods like machine learning algorithms and deep learning neural networks to provide data-driven actionable intelligence for their businesses. Machine learning has developed as an effective device to recognize designs and make expectations from the information.

"Virtual robotic arm controlled with hand gesture recognition and artificial intelligence" was one of the topics that I learned by taking up Data Science and Robotics in my final year research project. I came across people who closely followed developments in the field of Data Science and we conducted a vast literature survey on the Robotic system. Being of an analytical mind, Electronics and Communication as my choice for undergraduate study seamlessly fit in. I channelized my zeal into Data Science and further, getting into my field of interest reflected positively in my academic performance. Combining overall learning and technical knowledge in subjects like Programming Language ( Python ), Database ( SQL and NoSQL), Data Analytics, Data Visualization, Machine & Deep learning theory & practice, Statistics, Online service like (AWS, Azure), Business Analytics, Tableau helped me evolve as an engineering student.

Because of my extensive expertise and experience, I was able to work as a machine learning intern at Widhya and as a data scientist and business analyst at the Spark Foundation. I acquired expertise working on different machine learning and algorithm-based projects. Moving forward, I'm presently completing an internship in data science and machine learning. In this University, this course will surely provide me with a broad and varied vision to learn new methods and participate in the core curriculum to develop depth in all the basic concepts that form the foundation of Data Science theory and practice. I will also study technical knowledge and its implementation. As technological innovations change rapidly and stay in sync, I need to update my skills and training to achieve my planned goals. By taking various electives, I can explore important contextual areas or more complex technical applications of Data Science. My interests and aspirations are in research, so taking a Data Science Research and Development (R&D) course will help me align my planned goals based on the curriculum of this prestigious university. This has been both my online research and my reference. I have found universities around the world that set the standard by providing a top-notch educational / teaching process that I can, no, believe that I can achieve my life goals to build a successful career in Data Science research and use it for human good. It will also be an opportunity to learn and interact with different people in a vibrant American cultural background, adding another dimension to my career."

Home / Graduate / Personal Statement for MSc in Data Science at University of Michigan