Personal Statement for MSc in Finance in the UK

chewbacauk 1 / 2  

Personal Statement

Nowadays, with the turbulence of Vietnam's stock market, the recovery of economies in finance are over the world requires financial professionals to ensure the future success of a company or organisation. The significance of finance as a way of achieving social and economic well-being is greater than ever before, and this is my main motivation to explore the field, specifically MSc in Finance, to widen my knowledge and provide me with a deeper insight into the financial operations of an economy in general and a business in particular.

My desire to pursue further study in finance stems from the Covid-19 pandemic when there was a social lockdown. I had the opportunity to observe my mother in the stock market and my sister working remotely at a multinational bank. I capitalized on the opportunity to learn about the difference between how finance in emerging markets is so different from that in developed markets. This inspired me to take on investment economics as one of my final year modules, where I was able to construct my own business with its own pitching round. With this topic being central here at the name of the school, I believe I am well-equipped to build on the scientific foundations of the financial world I have learned.

In my first year in the university, I let myself slide along the reputation of being a student at a reputable university in Vietnam which led me to a first C-point in Advanced Mathematics. Realizing the impact of 1 C on my overall GPA, for the rest of the time, I put effort into all subjects, and due to my diligence in the 2nd semester of my 1st year, I was given a scholarship for students in the top 10% grades among my classmates. When studying for my undergraduate degree in international economics, it was my 'Financial Economics' module in my third year that truly cemented my drive to study finance at the Master's level.

Working on a number of projects within the time of bachelor studying has taught me the power of teamwork, and connections. I have learned to listen patiently to others' ideas even though they may be totally opposite to mine, to reach out to people that first strangers to me, and then grew my own social circle. My experience has taught me that when the situation demands you have to step out of your shoes and do every bit you can do to make the team function properly. I have observed that a diverse team works more closely and is more successful than a team that has all identical profiles. People are more accommodating and bring fresh ideas for the same problem. For these reasons I am impressed by the diverse student profiles at the name of the school and I believe that every student is going to offer something new to me while I can offer all my team-building skills, team management skills, analytical and problem-solving skills in addition to how to work in stressful situations.

I plan to pursue my MSc in Finance immediately after my diploma as I need a sound knowledge of both subjects. I plan to work in London for a couple of years to gain experience in my chosen field as London is the financial capital of the world. Also, I plan to give back something to the United Kingdom and as such will try to be actively related to community services for the underprivileged. I am involved in the corporate social responsibility program of my current organization and know the importance as well as the joy of doing it. In the long term, I plan to come back to Vietnam and join the financial services industry as a financial analyst. The stock market in Vietnam is developing and it will need many skilled people for becoming as important as the Vietnamese securities market. I have learned the basics of financial derivatives instruments and plan to specialize in them. My determination to realize my dream in the face of all odds will help me succeed and guidance from one of the most highly rated departments in the subject in the world will allow me to master the subject.
Consider the removal of paragraphs 3 and 4 since it discusses your academic background rather than the continued development of your interest in finance. The personal statement does not require an academic biography as a part of the presentation. The statement should go directly to the last paragraph instead, but should not end there. Further discussion development should follow.

Since you will be going from Vietnam to the UK to study, describe your personal reasons for opting to do that. start with a discussion of the course choice and how it applies to your future plans.Then explain why you chose the university by comparing its advantages to an MSc for the same course from a university in your country. The reviewer must be convinced that your personal considerations for studying abroad are warranted. That is not established in this version.

The rest of the reference to working in the UK and its accompanying references are also not a necessary part of the personal statement. Those are often discussed under a specific prompt requirement, as required (or not) by the university.
OP chewbacauk 1 / 2  
Merged:

Statement of Purpose for my MSc of Business and Finance at Warwick Business School

The school does not limit the word count but I made it 2-page long.
I am considering dropping the para no (6) since I find it a little redundant.

(1) The desire to pursue finance stemmed from the Covid-19 pandemic when there was a social lockdown. I had the opportunity to observe my mother trading in the stock market and my sister working remotely for a multinational bank. The experience led me to realize studying finance at a graduate level would satisfy my interests. My desire to pursue further academic studies is fueled by the enriching experience I have had at Foreign Trade University. With further studies in finance focusing on technical analysis models, I will deepen my understanding of the financial markets, which I believe is going to be crucial to succeed in the financial services industry.

(2) One would notice that my GPA for advanced mathematics was only average. In addition to adjusting to college during my first year, I was placed in advanced mathematics and had insufficient study skills. But I was able to transition well as can be seen in my GPA increasing, in addition to that, I was given a scholarship for students in the top 10% grades among my classmates in the second semester. Furthermore, my GPA in economics, finance, statistics, and econometrics averaged above 8.5. As the years went by, I became a rigid person who is much stronger, capable of regulating problems, and determined to reach the goals set more than ever.

(3) My main areas of interest in the world of finance are financial instruments, financial behavioural, and portfolio management. Additionally, I also have a special interest in portfolio theory and asset allocation. I used to think that finance is all about solving, but real-world finance, as I have witnessed, is inseparable from human behaviour and politics. In line with this, I aim to increase my grasp of econometrics to deal with complications of pooled financial data; as well as get a command over humans' behaviour towards information. This fascination was nurtured by my undergraduate coursework in financial risk management study, my internship in valuation, and my participation in trading while I was a student, all of which together gave me priceless insights into the global markets. It is with this interest that I seek to deepen my knowledge in the MSc of Business and Finance at Warwick Business School.

(4) A Master's degree in Business and Finance at the Warwick Business School will help to build upon my existing knowledge in an international environment where I can be challenged intellectually and socially, and where I can develop and think independently. The modules provided in the Business and Finance course such as "Financial Reporting and Statement Analysis" and the "Analysis of Economic Behaviour" will equip me with a strong foundation in financial analysis.

(5) My long-term career plan is to become a successful financial consultant or an investment bank analyst. I hope to achieve this goal after several years of experience as a successful analyst. I believe that the Business and Finance masters programme at the Warwick Business School will firstly, provide me with the ability to think independently. Being able to think independently and having a view which may be contrarian is extremely important within the investment management field, one's ability to come up with new and fresh ideas allows one to identify missed investment opportunities and generate high returns. As mentioned before the course content will be vital for a career in investment management as a strong understanding of company accounts and particular asset classes will be crucial.

(6) Because of my dedication and focus on my chosen field of study, I can make a significant contribution to the program and the university. I've been a part of a team that aims to connect the government, business people, and finance enthusiasts' opinions regarding investment opportunities. I was also a contributor to several societies during my time at the university, and I hope to do the same at Warwick Business School.

(7) A Master's degree in Business and Finance at Warwick Business School will provide me with an opportunity to deepen my understanding of finance and business in a more meaningful way, and in an environment which will be academically challenging and allow me to develop further as an individual. Also, being surrounded by like-minded individuals who share the same passion and desire for the subject will allow for an exchange of views and ideas that would benefit all parties. I appreciate your taking the time in considering my application and I hope that the information I have shared has demonstrated both my academic ability and my passion to form part of your prestigious academic institution as an MSc student.

Thank you for your comment

Home / Graduate / Personal Statement for MSc in Finance in the UK