Personal Statement for MSc. Internet of Things and Data Analytics

Kellsnotnice 1 / -  
Hello people, this is a revised draft of my personal statement for an Msc in Internet of Things, I think I need a review that will help me properly articulate my motivation for internet of things and make my points flow more smoothly

PERSONAL STATEMENT

If there is something I can say without uncertainty, it is the fact that the internet, coupled with the ubiquitous nature of the data that it produces, have become the backbone of our daily decision-making processes. Between the dawn of civilization and the year 2003, an approximate amount of 5 exabytes of data was generated, but today we generate data of such magnitude in just a matter of days. Data analytics as a field offers a solution to take advantage of data of such enormity to help in making better data driven decisions. Coincidentally, the need for our daily processes to become automated is also on the rise, the internet of things is an incredibly niche and exponentially growing domain which only promises to develop over the next couple of years. From smart homes, health care, agriculture to transportation, the demand for internet assisted devices is at its peak. The MSc in Internet of Things with data analytics provides a unique, cross-disciplinary learning model which will equip me with the necessary skills and knowledge required to adapt to such rapidly and dynamically developing fields.

I would attribute the inspiration behind my undergraduate degree to my pragmatic nature, as I had always wanted to be in a field of study which required analytical thinking and theoretical applications, which was why I majored in Information Systems (with a concentration in Software Applications Development) at the American University of Nigeria, Yola. During the coursework, I particularly devoted my time towards courses where analytical thinking had a prevalent application, such as Program Development and Implementation, Database systems, System Analysis and Design, Introduction to Software Engineering, and Information Technology for Development. My diligence and dedication to these courses, and all my courses in general were duly requited as I managed to get into the dean's and president's lists in 5 out of my 8 semesters, for which I was rewarded with multiple scholarships by the school. My schooling years were also where I began to grow and nurture my passion for programming, starting out typically with web basics, I quickly branched into more complicated backend technologies and frameworks such as node js, php and react. I also got myself to newer cross platform technologies like Flutter and react native as they came into existence.

My interests in data analytics began in my final year in college when I enrolled in a business analytics course during which I learnt about practical applications of data science and analytics in the real world. I found it very fascinating how with minimal human effort, computers could play a significant role in helping businesses optimize their processes and instigate greater revenue growth. After the course, my interest in data science and machine learning continued to grow and further research and studies in these fields led to my discovery of different machine learning frameworks such as TensorFlow and the Machine Learning .NET framework. My studies on this framework inspired my senior design capstone project, titled "A Cost-Effective Hospital Management Application for SME Hospitals" where I cross aligned my existing knowledge of software development and newfound knowledge of machine learning to create an application that could help doctors accurately predict an illness a patient could be suffering from using a combination of the patient's symptoms, utilizing publicly available medical datasets from Kaggle.com, for which I was awarded the second best project in my department. Refusing to revel in my accomplishments, I set out to delve beyond the school curriculum to learn as much as I could in these fields after I graduated. To this effect, I have taken courses online from Udemy and Coursera on machine learning using python and R, which I followed up with by studying courses on data visualizations using Tableau and PowerBi.

My work experience has also played a role in my interest in this program, I currently work at Dotmac Technologies, one of the leading providers of internet services and business solutions in the federal capital city of Nigeria, Abuja. I am currently working on a project with the National Emergency Management Agency which involves providing them with a data visualization and analytics software. The project, which is still ongoing has exposed me to the practicality of these theoretical data analytics concepts, particularly in the areas of gaining insights from past data and accurately predicting future metrics.

A master's degree in this field is the most logical step towards my main research goal of gaining knowledge on how machine learning can be implemented in the healthcare sector to help sustain the lives of people. Additionally, I can also gain knowledge on how to create wearable technology that could help elderly people and people with disabilities live better lives. Studying at the University of xxx to me is an exciting prospect as I would be surrounded by like minded students and renowned professors, who can provide me with the extra motivation needed to achieve these goals.
Remove certain aspects of this presentation that are misplaced. Information about work experience, among others, should be discussed in the statement of purpose or motivational letter, depending upon the university requirement. It should not be placed in the personal statement. It does not fit the default prompt requirements for this essay.

The next revision will be better outlined, as per requirements, if it develops paragraphs 1, 3, and 5. These are the paragraphs that are better targeted towards the development of your interest in the course and the choice of university. The final paragraph in particular, should center on the reasons why you opted to study at the university and the country. All other information presented will be more useful in the statement of purpose as these relate to your experiences in academics and work, rather than the personal interest development that the personal statement requires.

Please note that the academic development of your interest must also be supported by a professional interest development as well. That is, unless you are applying to a masters course that does not require work experience.

Home / Graduate / Personal Statement for MSc. Internet of Things and Data Analytics