Personal statement for PhD application in Transportation Engineering

shahreena7 1 / -  
Dear friends,

This is my personal statement for Phd application. Any comment/feedback will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tell us why you are interested in the subject for which you have applied. Describe your academic interests and reasons for applying to XX.

Transportation always fascinates me in all aspects: from a comfortable Dubai bus stop to a creation of advanced technology of intelligent transportation system (ITS). Living in the city of Kuala Lumpur gave me the opportunity to experience, at firsthand the development of transportation in my country. I can still remember those days where people tightly packed in pink mini bus (like a sardine can) then come along intercity bus to provide better services and currently replaced by RapidKL network, an integration of the bus service and light rail transit (LRT) system. It can be understood that technology implies in transportation serves to provide better service to the society.

My interest in transportation and desire to learn more has driven me enrolled as M.Eng (Transportation and Highway) student at Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM). Throughout my studies, I was introduced to a wide range of subjects inside transportation fields. As I enjoyed travelling, field work excites me. I was exposed to real-life problem solving of transportation system management, environmental quality assessment and public transportation. This gave me the opportunity to explore my interests in transportation engineering.

For the past four years after graduated, I share my passion and knowledge in transportation through lecturing in the biggest local university, UiTM. Due to the fact that I'm the only lecturer with transportation engineering background in Penang campus, I had to independently develop a lesson plan, lectures, problem sets, and final exams question, as well as syllabus for new degree program. I'm also responsible to deliver hands-on training on highway and traffic laboratory to the technicians. Through organizing several seminar and industrial talks on highway and traffic engineering (e.g., ROAD CONSTRUCTION, HIGHWAY MAINTENANCE, TRAFFIC IMPACT SIMULATION, MALAYSIAN EXPRESSWAY SYSTEM) and attends several related conference, I was able to enhance my knowledge and updated with current transportation situation. The inputs I obtained not only essential to me but also to my students. I also incorporate non-traditional assignments in my course by organizing ROAD-SAFETY CAMPAIGN, HIGHWAY INTERCHANGES DESIGN AND MODEL COMPETITION and currently HIGHWAY RUN (similar to treasure hunts) to encourage students communication skills and creativity.

Aside from transportation engineering world, I spent my leisure time manage a music club name Penang UiTM Music Club (PUMC). The club was responsible in organized various events such as music class and tutorial, workshop on basic music, blues one session day seminar and Battle of the bands as well. The band formed by the club members also has performed at numerous events and functions. The club also carried out a community service, where we visited and donated to the orphanage and elderly home.

The transportation challenges that concern me the most is improving road safety. In my country, there is no day people weren't killed on the road, most of it cause by speeding and reckless driver. Most of the drivers were well-behaved at the presence of police officer or CCTV. If there is a way to monitor the road from the sky above and manage all the vehicles travel onto it, perhaps road accidents can be minimized and emergency response can be improved. Through background research, I encountered with numerous research paper from XX addressing utilization of integrated GPS-GIS in vehicle tracking. I would like to explore deeper in this matter and develops a system that can monitor traffic in the real world on the PC. Apart from that, the system should be able to inform or warns driver on traffic condition and hazards on approaching.

I believe XX is the perfect place for me to explore, discover and develop significant contribution for my country and transportation world. An opportunity to read transportation engineering at XX would be the first significant step towards my aspiration.
That first paragraph is high quality writing. It carries the reader along from one intriguing idea/image to the next. But at the end, I don't like this sentence:

It can be understood that technology implies in transportation serves to provide better service to the society. That sentence uses a lot of words but is unclear. Say what you really mean. Bolbly state your intentions. :-)

one thing has, two things have...
My interest in transportation and desire to learn more has have driven ...

For the past four years after graduated, I share have shared my passion and knowledge in transportation through...

I'm also responsible to deliver for delivering hands-on training ...

Aside from transportation engineering world, I spent my leisure time manage managing a music club name Penang UiTM Music Club (PUMC).

The transportation challenges challenge that concerns me the most is improving road safety. In my country, there is no day people weren aren't killed on the road, most of it cause by speeding and reckless drivers .

Excellent... you are obviously very motivated and intelligent. I think they will accept you! :-)

Home / Graduate / Personal statement for PhD application in Transportation Engineering