PERSONAL STATEMENT FOR A PHD PROGRAM (BIOLOGY) IN UNIVERSITY OF UTAH

Taylor X 1 / -  

PERSONAL STATEMENT

"The evolving process and the struggle for survival is natural and continuous". This statement summarizes the genesis of evolution and interaction of microorganisms and other species at large. Interestingly, both microbial evolution and microbial interaction are solely dependent on certain factors for a successfully evasion and infection process. These factors however, contributes greatly to the popular unsolved mystery in microbiology which is "the resistance of bacteria pathogens to conventional antibiotics". Therefore, it goes without a saying that a great deal of unsolved problems in microbiology would have a tremendous breakthrough, if only these factors are altered in a way that it is antagonistic to the evolution and interaction of the concerned microbial species.

I am a recent graduate of Microbiology from Oduduwa University Ipetumodu, Nigeria and I graduated with a GPA of 4.29 on a 5-points scale. Prior to my undergraduate studies, I have always wanted to study medicine but after watching a documentary on how the fungus "ophiocordyceps unilateralis" commonly known as 'Zombie fungus' invades and control the mind of its host, I became immensely curious and interested in knowing how these biological entities thrive at molecular level in their hosts. However, while studying microbiology, apart from being exposed to the theoretical knowledge of host-pathogen interactions, I also worked on the "Prevalence and antibiotic resistance of Staphylococcus aureus isolated from the hands of caregivers at daycare centers" for my undergraduate thesis, where I discovered a high percentage of Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA) strains with the little laboratory facilities provided. But my curiosity stands on discovering how these strains managed to invade and escape the host immune response during the infection process and, how the secretion of toxins and exhibition of certain properties helps them survive and sustain themselves in their hosts even after exposure to antibiotics. However, the major limitation for scientific research in Nigeria is the lack/inaccessibility to adequate laboratory facilities. Hence, I am seeking a graduate training in your department as I believe that the department's renowned laboratory facilities and cutting-edge equipment will further improve my research strengths and also satisfy my scientific curiosity.

My research interest lies in understanding the molecular basis by which bacterial, viral or fungal pathogens interacts with their human and animal hosts, with the ultimate aim of identifying targets for prophylactic or therapeutic treatment of the resulting diseases. I am specifically interested in host-virus interactions and the mechanisms behind opportunistic infections in immuno-compromised individuals. Particularly in sub-Saharan Africa, opportunistic infections such as; oral candidiasis, cryptococcal meningitis and tuberculosis have been prevalent in HIV-infected individuals. Studies have shown that oral candidiasis occurs in up to 95% of HIV-infected individuals during the course of their infection. Also, WHO guideline on cryptococcal infections revealed that cryptococcal meningitis is the most prevalent and it accounts for 15% HIV-related deaths globally. Therefore, with keen interest in understanding the concepts behind the viral manipulation of cellular gene expression in order to maintain conducive conditions for replication, I believe Dr. Jarrod Johnson would be a suitable advisor as his research on reconstituting infectious processes and investigating host-virus interactions in purified, cell-free systems greatly aligns with my research interest. Also, I find Dr. Brown's research on how Cryptococcus neoformans evade its primary infection site and affects its host's brain intriguing, as it is at the nexus of host-pathogen interaction.

Subsequently after high school, I had the opportunity to work as a trainee at a small clinic in our community where I learnt the collection of biospecimen and how to perform basic medical tests such as widal test, complete blood count and urine analysis. Also, during the mandatory undergraduate six-month internship, I worked under the supervision of the laboratory technician, on isolating and characterizing microorganisms by using different microbial isolation techniques, culture staining, biochemical tests and also performed antimicrobial sensitivity test on the microorganisms discovered. Furthermore, I worked as a clinical laboratory assistant at a hospital immediately after my final exams. During this period, I learnt and performed molecular techniques such as Enzyme-linked Immunosorbent Assay (ELISA) and Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) on purified DNA samples. I also worked with different biospecimens - blood, urine, sputum, stool and cerebrospinal fluid samples - for diseases such as; HIV/AIDS, meningitis, Tuberculosis, Hepatitis B and cholera. In addition, I am actively learning programming languages including python and javascript as a basis for bioinformatics because structural analysis and machine learning methods are also essential to further understand host-pathogen interaction, and how such interactions can be exploited to treat disease.

Furthermore, my 4-year experience teaching both as a school teacher and a student's academic director gives me a competitive edge. During my tenure as the academic director, I ran both physical and online tutorial classes to explain difficult courses for peers and juniors from my department and also for first-year and second-year microbiology students from other universities in southwestern Nigeria. These courses include but not limited to CHM213 (Analytical chemistry), BIO233&234 (Biostatistics 1&2), MCB 303 (Microbial genetics) and MCB 306 (Virology). With a very a good number of my students passing their exams with good grades, I was awarded the second-best academic influencer in the college of sciences.

Finally, I am fully aware of the hard-work and rigors associated with graduate studies and I am mentally and physically prepared for it. I believe my proactiveness, fast-learning and critical thinking abilities are comparative advantages over other brilliant applicants. On completing my PhD program, I would like to pursue a career in academia and also own an independent infectious-disease research group that contributes human health and biomedicine. I look forward to a favorable consideration. Thank you!
As far as a personal statement goes, this essay does its best to portray the Phd applicant in the best light possible. Focusing on his laboratory skills was a good move but, it does not prove that his lab skills have translated into strong research skills. Since he is not applying for a job as a laboratory assistant in a medical clinic, the presentation does not help prove his research skills as a potential PhD student.

I can definitely see the potential of the student to excel in his area of interest as a PhD candidate. The problem, is that he has not proven any continuing research that could possibly help him become a collaborative partner of the professor he mentioned. The one thing that sets a PhD student apart from other candidates is that their career path is pretty much set in stone, having come from the completion of their masters course, upon which their dissertation has provided them with the solid research, laboratory, and continuing research skills necessary to complete a PhD program.

Home / Graduate / PERSONAL STATEMENT FOR A PHD PROGRAM (BIOLOGY) IN UNIVERSITY OF UTAH