Personal Statement for studying PhD in Chemical Engineering

ashshah 1 / 1  
I am delighted to be part of this discussion place. This is the first time that I write a PS. I would be glad to receive your kind comments. I appreciate your time and attention!

As a chemical engineer specialising in process modelling and simulation, I find the effects of fossil energy on global environment concerning - both in terms of health as well as its economical aspects. There is still much to be discovered in this field - benefits and shortcomings of this type of fuels have long being known, but we are getting closer to the dream of clean fossil fuels. It was this interest that first brought me to study chemical engineering with particular focus on oil industries' processes design and simulation. It is this interest that drives me to continue studying the matter.

With the knowledge that the department of Chemical Engineering and Earth Science at the XXX university provides an outstanding platform of development in this field, I anticipate that this PhD course would be a necessary step to consolidate my learning in this area. As such it would be a great honour to be a part of the research group focusing on Carbon dioxide Capture and Storage (CCS).

I am an Iranian national, raised in a family driven by their strong social values and hard working nature. I studied Chemical Engineering (Oil industries processes design) at XXX University. After graduating in 2004, I worked as a process engineer assistant at XXX refinery in Tehran for over two years. I was very fortunate to be part of a team of senior process engineers and worked on various engineering projects and process simulation software during this time. The main activity of our group was to develop economical processes for revamping projects. Responsibilities involved designing equipment, defining control systems as well as starting, running and upgrading the refinery processes. The environmental protection and health and safety aspects of the project were a significant concerns. At XXX, I learnt to visualise abstract concepts, to apply concepts to industrial projects in real time and to work under strict time constraints. Having this experience of work in the field, has given me a better understanding of the application of academic engineering in a real business environment.

Following my time at XXX, I sought to learn more both in process design and management techniques, which lead me to apply for Masters degree in Integrated Design of Chemical Plants, at the University of XXX in 2006. This course provided me with valuable knowledge regarding Process Modelling and Simulation, Green Processes Technologies, Computational Transfer Processes, Process Synthesis and Plant Optimisation. I graduated with a First class honours and it was once again proven to me that through hard work and a clear aim, you can reach your goals.

I wrote my final dissertation about simulating multiphase fluid flow in a pipe using FLUENT software, which was a challenging but very enjoyable task. I also took part in an interdisciplinary group project on renewable fuels investigating the feasibility of designing a Biofuel Production Plant in Yorkshire. I was responsible of developing and evaluating the existing processes and selecting and modelling the most efficient and economical one. Although the length of the project was relatively short (just under 5 months), our group achieved valuable results that opened new research questions for future students in this field.

Over the course of the past year, I have been studying a second Masters degree in Engineering Management at XXX University in XXX. I learnt more about management techniques and acquired detailed knowledge of how to set-up, start, run and finish efficient and effective engineering projects. Project management skills acquired during this course will help me to manage real life projects from conception to completion more effectively. Furthermore, working in different teams has given me great exposure to the advantages and challenges of teamwork. I have learnt to work with others in a dynamic and proficient way, and moreover, teamwork, group activities and research presentations, have helped develop my communication skills.

My primary research interests lie in the field of carbon storage and oil and gas recovery process modeling. I also have interest in enhanced oil recovery processes. From my work and studies so far, I know that there are several strategies for decreasing the climate change impact of fossil fuel. One of the short-term strategies is to maximise the efficiency of new and existing fossil-fired power generation plants. While the bulk of long-term potential CO2 emission reductions from CCS is associated with the capture and storage of CO2 from combustion of fossil fuels, the short-term CCS potential is in different areas. These include enhanced oil recovery (EOR) projects and capture-ready streams of CO2 from natural gas processing and industrial processes such as refineries, ammonia and hydrogen plants.

Taking part in the PhD Studentship on Clean Fossil Fuels at the XXX university feels like a natural development of my academic career. From the course of my studies and experiences so far, I know that this opportunity will be as challenging and competitive as it will be stimulating, and that the possibility of taking part in such a piece of work will lay a solid foundation for my future career either as a teacher or consultant in energy industry. It would be an honour to be part of the research group focusing on Carbon Capture and Storage.
There is still much to be discovered in this field; benefits and...

It was this interest that first brought me to study chemical engineering with a particular focus on the oil industry's processes of design and simulation.

I was responsible for developing and evaluating ..

...software, and it was a challenging ...

This is very impressive! When they read this, they will know how serious and knowledgeable you are. I think it would be good to say a bit more about why this school to which you are applying is going to be an important part of your process -- why it is important for you to attend this particular school.
OP ashshah 1 / 1  
Thank you for your comments. I have made some changes regarding your suggestion. Please let me know what do you think.
I also need to work on my last paragraph. I need to find a good finishing sentence. Don't you agree?

Thank you in advance.

With the knowledge that the department of Chemical Engineering and Earth Science at the XXX in XXX provides an outstanding platform of development in this field, I anticipate that this PhD course would be a necessary step to consolidate my learning in this area. Having the opportunity to study at the top Engineering Faculty in the XXX, close collaboration with global energy companies like XXX and XXX, learn from world class experts and scientists, and access to advance facilities inspire me so much. These advantages are fascinating and motivating for me as a person who pursue his success in life, through this PhD. The XXX will give me a chance to transform my dream of becoming a leading scientist into a reality. As such it would be a great honour to be a part of the research group focusing on Clean Fossil Fuels.
Having the opportunity to study at the top Engineering Faculty in the XXX, close collaboration with global energy companies like XXX and XXX, learning from world class experts and scientists, and access to advanced facilities inspires me so much. This might be better as two sentences!

These advantages are fascinating and motivating for me as a person who pursues his success in life, through this PhD.

I like the last sentence you used here, but you could add a little more to it, having to do with future generations, or making use of what we have...something to add that extra "punch" to your ending.

Good luck in school!

:)

Home / Graduate / Personal Statement for studying PhD in Chemical Engineering