My struggle about abstract (World English studies)

summerwangs 1 / -  

English as Lingua Franca

The collision of multiculturalism and the expansion of English globalization have boosted the global phenomenon of English as Lingua Franca, resulting in a great variety of World Englishes carrying their particular accents. Sociolinguist Kachru initiated Three Circles Model, including Inner Circle, Outer Circle and Expanding Circle, to illustrate the demographic model of World Englishes. On the one hand, traditional approaches that favor native speakers' norms are not likely to be adequately prepared for learners and users from Expanding Circle countries; on the other hand, cultural identity are more prominent through ELF in which English variations are evident. Through questionnaire and follow-up e-mail questions, the study reported in this paper investigated the perceptions of accented English of 42 participants, who have accomplished English Language Program in the University of Toronto, and to what extent they related their cultural identity to accent. The results revealed that most participants confirmed their desire to attain native-like accent as competent English learners and users, while some of them explicitly reported their inclination to maintain local accent with identity and practical related reasons. It is expected that this study can improve students' intercultural and intergroup communication competence as well as offering potential implications for English Language Teaching in Expanding Circle countries.

Thesis title: EXPLORING THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN ACCENT AND CULTURAL IDENTITY IN ELF COMMUNICATION:
A STUDY OF EXPANDING CIRCLE STUDENTS

Let me know if you are well/poorly understand what I am going to write in this thesis. Thanks!
Summer, as I came to the end of your abstract, I was still unsure as to what the actual target of the research will be. There is a somewhat successful explanation of the sub-topics of your research located within the presentation. However, the methodology and presumed results are a bit hazy in the presentation. Go back to your outline and try to figure out what the common denominator is among the sub-topic discussion points. That should create the main thesis for your abstract. The abstract should summarize the following points:

1. Main discussion Topic with supporting reasons (thesis statement)
2. Sub-topics and its importance
3. Chosen methodology
4. Summary of research results

These should be completed in about 300 words at the most. By the way, your thesis title should not be more than 12 words long and you have to make sure to use keywords and phrases in your presentation and present those words as a list after the abstract. Pay attention to your written presentation. You have some grammatical issues at the moment, but I am not worried about those as you will be revising the content of the presentation anyway so those should be corrected during the revision process. Your abstract also fails to present a complete summary of your findings. How did you achieve these results? What was the methodology used? Who were the participants? What are the numerical results? That is the last part of the essay. Think of the abstract as the paragraph form of your outline. That should help you present an interesting, informative, and well structured presentation when you revise the paper.

Home / Graduate / My struggle about abstract (World English studies)