The Students' Union Council (SUC) - an ethical dilemma - TAMU prompt

yshuks 1 / -  

admission essay - tamu

Hey so this is the 4th essay prompt for graduate admission in mays business school - TAMU. I've started the essay and posting the premise for the same. Is this a good enough premise and should i build upon it or not? Disclaimer - this is not a completed esay

While in my undergraduate degree college, I've worked extensively with the Students' Union Council (SUC). It was the committee responsible for all cultural activities held on the campus, and an important place for students to learn things were not being taught inside the classroom. From curating the welcome party for freshmen to conducting the farewell for the seniors, organizing the annual cultural fest to running a blood donation drive, a plethora of things were being done at SUC.

While working for one event my friend and I were responsible for arranging food for all the volunteers for the duration of the event, which was 3 days, and booking the DJ. My friend said he'll take up the food arrangement as he knows a local business who can deliver good food at a decent price. The food on the first day wasn't great, It wasn't very fresh and even the taste wasn't that great. Similar quality food was provided on day 2 and 3. After the event was over my friend informed me that the place he originally gave the order and 60% money as advance duped him. They'd closed their shop and were nowhere to be found. So he went to a different place and arranged the substandard food at a low price and got fake bills which covered the amount originally allotted for food.

Upon hearing this I was shocked, confused and worried. My head was filled with questions like why did he not inform this to the college committee ? Did he not take a receipt from the place to take further action ? Should I report this incident to the college?
You are not applying for admission to an undergraduate course. That is the tone that this essay carries. As a msters degree student for business school, the main requirement would be that you have some sort of work experience that would tie in with the reason for your desire to attend masters studies. The strongest applicants for this program will be using work related situations for this discussion to prove that their academic motivation and professional skills tie in with the type of student that the university is looking for. A candidate for a masters course would have a highly professional incident to share in this essay. The prompt needs to show an adult level of maturity, bordering on the executive type. The essay is weak because it is amateur in approach. I would not use this essay for the prompt provided if I were you. I would go with a higher degree of problem solving skills are required by a future executive job.

Home / Graduate / The Students' Union Council (SUC) - an ethical dilemma - TAMU prompt