We successfully implemented the major project "Aid for blind people using image processing"

Akhilesh7 1 / 6  
Gutta Akhilesh
MS, Computer Engineering

"Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today".- Malcolm X

I want to pursue an MS degree in Electrical & Computer Engineering with a specialization in digital VLSI design as it will help me realize my goal of becoming a chip design engineer with the versatility to handle front-end and back-end VLSI designs in the near future. I am passionate about innovating high performance and low power VLSI systems and find the process involved in generating new digital logic techniques to be extremely challenging and fulfilling.

My under-graduate program in Electronics & Communication at Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad covered various core topics namely VLSI Design, Electronic Devices & Circuits, Pulse & Digital Circuits, Microprocessors & Microcontrollers etc. This was in conjunction with the lab courses on Digital Signal Processing, Analog & Digital IC applications and Microprocessors & Microcontrollers. Furthermore, the work I did during the senior year in designing & simulating the analog and digital integrated circuits using Pspice and Xilinx ISE software provided me with a good overview of VLSI design, synthesis and implementation processes. The well thought-out course structure enabled the smooth transition between theoretical and practical courses and helped me score 72.54 % with distinction.

The skills that I have developed so far have motivated me to work on a project that underscored the importance of digital VLSI in the evolution of memory chips and microcontrollers. Our team successfully implemented the major project "Aid for blind people using image processing" which involved developing a navigating aid using functions of OpenCV library for real-time image processing. With the familiarity gained on microcontroller architecture and its interfacing with various modules such as keyboard, USART using assembly language and C programming in keil, we interfaced the 32-bit ARM9 with LCD display, Analog-to-Digital & Digital-to-Analog Converters, Universal Serial Bus, UART and RS232 serial port. As the project team-leader, my primary task was to design a 6 layer printed circuit board for 32-bit ARM9 microcontroller using Cadence. With my project advisor's assistance in layout & routing techniques for high-speed design, I succeeded in reducing the noise to some extent (< 20dB) and crosstalk by assigning separate ground planes under the analog & digital partitions and increasing the distance between parallel traces & decreasing the distance between trace and ground plane.

Apart from providing me with the teamwork skills and hands-on experience in physical design automation, the project work also exposed the gaps in my knowledge in the domain of advanced VLSI design concepts such as Design methodologies -programmable logic devices (PLDs) like FPGAs, Complex PLDs; standard cell, full-custom designs; CMOS/BiCMOS technologies-their layout techniques & their role in the development of high noise immune & low power VLSI circuits and Physical Design Automation. The VLSI Design, Design & Analysis of Digital Integrated Circuits, VLSI Architecture courses taught at the **** University cover many topics that help address the gaps in areas where I lack the necessary expertise.

The graduate studies would also give me more exposure and greater understanding of topics like Digital Application Specific Integrated Circuits Design, Reconfigurable computing involving Field Programmable Gate Arrays and System on Chip (SoC) design. A thorough knowledge of these specialized topics would help me pursue my immediate career goal of becoming a back-end design engineer working on physical VLSI design and digital timing & control logic designs.

I choose **** University as my desired destination for pursuing graduate studies because of its excellent in-depth course structure and alignment of my professional interests in areas of digital front-end and back-end designs of CMOS based high performance and low power VLSI with the work being carried on in the fields such as Digital CMOS design, Physical Design Automation, High Speed Digital Systems.

The research activity at **** Lab on Low-power and High-speed VLSI design and Physical CAD tools will help me study in-depth the design of Low power High performance VLSI systems and Physical Design Automation. The advanced skills I would pick up here would give me the expertise to fulfill my career aspirations.

I am positive that the firm grounding I have received so far in concepts of microcontroller architecture and VLSI design would help me be successful in master's program in Electrical & Computer Engineering at **** University.
OP Akhilesh7 1 / 6  
Please help me,i'm going to start my application process, any help would be greatly appreciated..:)
This is all true, but I believe your SOP should talk more about you and not about the things these admin guys know already. This is the first and the best opportunity for you to express yourself. Talk more about how you became interested in this field - in other words, tell them how your passion for this area grew and what efforts you made for pursuing it. Make it sound more personal and everything you say, let them revolve around you.
OP Akhilesh7 1 / 6  
Thanks for the reply ! Can i mention about myself and my areas of interest in the first para itself? Also, is there anything to be skimmed in my sop and mention more about my reason for pursuing graduate studies ?
I think there's no harm with starting that cliche and it provides a more creative opening for your response. But then quickly get to yourself and tell them how you developed your passion for this field. What did you do to pursue your passion ? What were your achievements and credentials? What you want to do next?

I think you have lots of stuff here, and it is only a matter of rearranging them in a more creative way. And remember, the SOP is your opportunity to tell them about your as a person and most probably your chance of making first impressions about you to them.
GREASPI 4 / 8 2  
Cheers,

One simple way to start an SOP is to narrate a situation in your life related to the field, which kept you attracted. As you progress through your essay, make the reader feel your personal view of the field, finally touching upon the same instance you mentioned in the opening. In this way, your essay will have a proper structure (cycle of events) and it will be about "You".

Your experience in that expo can be that opening, but bring out what transpired in your mind during that moment.

This is what I learnt from my experience.

All the best.
OP Akhilesh7 1 / 6  
Please give your valuable feed back on this SOP. I would make any necessary corrections and finalize on this. Thank you !
OP Akhilesh7 1 / 6  
Hello, someone please review my latest SOP, I have to complete my online application process. Thank you !
I am passionate about innovating high performance and low power VLSI systems and find the process involved in generating new digital logic techniques to be extremely challenging and fulfilling.[/quote]

Tell the how your passion evolved and then how it was nurtured Then what you did in pursuing it.. Be more creative in presenting your case. I suggest you to visit the following site to get an idea about this.

uni.edu/~gotera/gradapp/stmtpurpose.htmquote=Akhilesh7.
Your SOP should not sound like a list of your credentials and achievements. It should convince the admission panel that you the right guy they are looking for.
OP Akhilesh7 1 / 6  
Please help me on this one at your earliest convenience. Thank you !
Thanks for the reply. I am not that good at creative writing, so I tried to be as straight and clear about my intent as possible Please comment on it. Thank you !

Well.... I still think you need to be a little more creative in order to make your SOP to stand out the ones of other applicants. SOP needs to introduce you as a person to the admission panel. That's my personal view about it. If you want to be a little more creative, you can tell them how you got interested in this field, what aroused your interest and then how you followed your interest. When you talk through your own experiences, then things would be seen more convincing than having made a list of statements.

Apart from that aspect, your writing looks alright. It doesn't contain grammar or other language related issues.
OP Akhilesh7 1 / 6  
@Dumi: Thank you for helping me on this !

Home / Graduate / We successfully implemented the major project "Aid for blind people using image processing"