Supervision Inquiry for the proposed PhD Study

Hiwi_Life 10 / 31 7  

the supervision inquiry letter

Hello,
This is the supervision inquiry letter I want to send for my proposed supervisor for my proposed PhD study. Would you please go through it and let me know your views?

(I will attach a CV with this)
Thank you for taking your time.

Dear Professor ----,

As a person who is highly interested in the areas of signal processing and machine learning algorithms I always try to find out about the new discoveries and challenges. That is when I came to know you through your admirable articles of this area that are highly applicable for having efficient systems studying --- signals for --- estimations. The articles that I first read interesting me to a further study of yours and your students' works at --- in --- research group, which is outstanding. If I could get a chance to be part of your lab I will work towards the development and usage of --- algorithms for having an efficient disease diagnosis and treatment mechanism mainly focusing on ---- analysis within the application of ----signal processing.

--- has shown a great deal of potential as a decision making algorithm by making possible the human centered smart systems in medical and other applications. It helps to yield the incredible results under the investigations of several research areas. The detection of disease, estimation of risks besides autonomous monitoring of patients, it is enhancing the effectiveness of health care systems based on the availability of data sizes.

The diagnosis and treatment system that exists still has a lot of shortcomings. And on the other side we do have an advancement of the technologies that can be of great use in having an effective system for diagnosis patients, know the risk level and treat them accordingly. The problems and opportunities that exist and the ones that need to be created makes me more interested towards upgrading my knowledge and skills to research and contribute to the academic and research discoveries leading having efficient health care system. That is the main reason for me to concentrate on signal processing. For the time being I am working on --- signals for --- parameter estimations and risk aasesment. I have one paper to be published in --- and other conference paper been accepted for a conference preceding to be held in ---.

And now I am developing that work into --- algorithms for --- signal processing and parameter estimation. And then, I would like to also study --- with --- algorithm.

Being well aware of your outstanding accomplishments and as my interest is in line with your research works, I would greatly appreciate if you could provide me with an opportunity to be one of your students to work on your lab under your supervision for my proposed PhD study at ---. With that I can, not only enhance my knowledge, team and individual research skill in the area, but also I will be a good asset and have my contribution too. In this study I would work towards having a system that is capable of providing an efficient diagnosis and treatment to those with problems of the heart and blood pressure abnormality and are at risk.

I know PhD is challenging and may face challenges, but I am capable of facing the challenges and carry on to accomplish mine and my teammate goals.

Sincerely,
You want to join an already existing research group. Yet you do not reference how your work will help improve the existing research and development of the supervisor you have chosen. The supervisors tend to be more receptive towards having people join their group if there is a chance of knowledge sharing and transference. In this case, I see you focused only on what you can get from the team, but you do not say how the team can benefit from your addition to their roster. It is good that you admire the professor, but that will not be enough to entice him to become your supervisor. You have to prove a merging of the 2 research areas, his and yours. Both of you need to have a better research outcome based on the collaborative experience.
OP Hiwi_Life 10 / 31 7  
Thank you so much. The Professor's future work direction stated on the papers are my proposed PhD research topic. So I will add that.

Home / Graduate / Supervision Inquiry for the proposed PhD Study