A supplementary essay describing a challenge faced at work and how I overcame it

PranaySingla 1 / -  
Describe the most significant personal challenge you have faced in a work situation and the ways in which you overcame the challenge - 250 words limit (which I am exceeding currently)

two mock projects

As a part of my induction process at ABC firm, I was required to complete two mock projects with my fellow new employees. We were divided into teams of four and each team was allotted a mentor. Eager to make a mark at my first job coupled with my meticulous nature, I tried to make sure that every task we worked on was flawless and didn't get satisfied until I had rechecked everything which was done by my teammates. Being the only one in my team from an IT background, I didn't have a lot of confidence in the work being done by others. As a result, I started to put myself under a lot of pressure as the tasks which were allotted to us were usually designed for a team of 3 to 4 people and I was finding it difficult to complete my own tasks as well as refine the work done by my teammates.

Soon, our mentor realised that I had started to dominate the daily reviews we used to have at the end of the day. She pointed it out to me that it isn't possible for a single person to handle everything and that I shouldn't be worried too much about the mistakes committed by my teammates as that's how they will get to learn. She also encouraged others to start participating more in the reviews while asking me to lead the team in a way so that the work was distributed equally.

Going forward, I followed my mentor's advice and started trusting my teammates' work much more and changed my standpoint from being a reviewer to being a helper. This change in perspective helped out the team as a whole and we successfully completed our project. Before coming to ABC, I always thought of myself as a team player but leading a team was a new challenge for me which I overcame successfully.
Talalnasir7 1 / 2  
Little suggestions.
You could have written, how your behaviour affected your teammates for example your teammates reluctant to approach you, or they find it difficult to connect with you. You could also write about the after affects of you changing from reviewer to helper.

It's my opinion, wait for others to respond as well. Great work.
Pranay, first up, you cannot use a mock situation at the office. A mock situation is simply a task exercise. That does not have any actual repercussions nor achievements when the project fails or succeeds. Therefore, it cannot be used to represent a workplace challenge. You cannot use this essay as it does not prove an actual workplace scenario challenge. In fact, even the situation that you presented, you being an overachiever, cannot really be considered a workplace challenge. Rather, that is a personal challenge and adjustment that you had to make. It would be best if you change the essay to use an actual workplace scenario. Not one that was accomplished in a controlled environment. The controlled environment is what prevented this essay from being one that actually applies to the prompt you were provided. Pick a job assignment that truly challenged your skills, abilities, saw you fail, but also saw you succeed and learn a valuable lesson along the way.

Home / Graduate / A supplementary essay describing a challenge faced at work and how I overcame it