Sustainable Energy Systems advanced studies course

PCoelho 1 / 1  
I am writing to express my interest in applying for the Sustainable Energy Systems advanced studies course in September 2010. My goal is to work in the field of sustainable development related to reducing our environmental impact and increasing our use and knowledge of renewable energy, both in the developed and undeveloped world. Therefore, it is my aim to gain a deep theoretical knowledge in the technical and social subjects related to the above mentioned field.

In 2001 I graduated in Sanitary Engineering from Sciences and Technology College of the New University of Lisbon (FCT-UNL). This broad ranged degree course equipped me with the necessary skills required to work in the water and wastewater treatment field. Since leaving college I have worked, mainly on a sewage basis, for a large variety of wastewater treatment plants on a wide range of treatment processes. During these years I gained valuable knowledge in technical problem solving, and site logistics analysis. I have always had a deep personal interest in sustainable technology and renewable energy which has led me to make the decision to return to academia to equip myself with the necessary knowledge to pursue a career in sustainable technology development.

It is apparent to us all that our world is changing. With climate change and excessive population growth our major hurdles, we need to overcome these problems on a global scale, and completely change the way we use (or abuse) our precious resources. It is my belief that while it is better for people to live in cities (closer to their societal links) it is not better for our food and energy production to be carried out long distances away. Topics that interest me on a research level include the viability of microbial fuel cells in a small scale local energy production. I believe that it is possible for us to become a self-sustaining society. All that we need is the determination from society in general, government and large investors to allow us to make it happen.

While it nearly a decade since I have exposed myself to academic study, I believe now is the time for me to return. I am more focused now on what I want to achieve from life than I was when I was studying. I am eager to gain the necessary knowledge and discipline that will allow me to pursue my goal of forging a career for myself in sustainable development. For these reasons I believe that SES DFA is the right course for me to pursue. Over the last 9 years I have gained valuable work experience which has given me the drive to pursue a career in a field that I have a well founded personal interest in. Over the last couple of years while coming out of the biggest boom and into the deepest recession that Europe has ever seen, I have realized that future development and investment needs to focus on sustainability and renewable energy production. SES DFA can provide me with the required knowledge and skills I require to realize my goals.

Thank you in advance for your availability for comments provided.
Best regards
Sustainable Energy Systems advanced studies course in September 2010.

Check the school's literature to see how they capitalize this. Maybe it is supposed to be:
...the Sustainable Energy Systems Advanced Studies course in September 2010.

My goal is to ...----> it is my aim to ...
I suggest rephrasing one of these so that you don't repeat that structure, "my XXX is to"

Therefore, a crucial part of my process is to seek deep theoretical knowledge of the technical and social subjects related to this field. e above mentioned field. "above mentioned" is always a sort of weak thing to type. It is repeating something, and it seems like trying too hard to use formal language.

See how much more powerful the essay becomes when you trim away the statement-of-the-obvious:
It is apparent to us all that our world is changing. With climate change and excessive population growth as our major hurdles, we need to overcome these problems on a global scale, and completely change ...

While it nearly a decade has passed since I last exposed myself to academic study, I believe now is the time for me to return. I am more ...

In this last paragraph, maybe you should remove all occurrences of the word "have" so that the verb tense changes to the past tense. For example:

Over the last 9 years I have gained valuable ...
...recession that Europe has ever seen, I have realized that future development and investment needs to focus...
It is always good to remove unnecessary words when you can.

:-) Good luck!! Thanks for saving the planet!
OP PCoelho 1 / 1  
Thank you for your availability. Congratulations true community service in essayFórum.

Home / Graduate / Sustainable Energy Systems advanced studies course